LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage stats

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i just finished up a trip from norcal to seattle. in cali we got 91 oct, but i was able to get 27.3 average with the tank almost all gone. then i filled up with 92 oct in oregon. amazingly i was getting 28s and 29s up until around 3/4s of the tank gone. then it finally came out to be 27.8. this is all with a car full of junk (moved up to seattle). even with my city driving im averaging 21. not bad i say. and im beginning to love the gas up here, aint watered down and messed with like cali gas.

I've been getting about 18.9 mpg on sedan gt limited auto. Alot of stop and go traffic. Is there a difference in fuel economy between 91 (which owner's manual recommends) vs 93 which I use? Would I see better fuel economy at 91? Would there be an increase or decrease in performance at 91?

I guess I win the gas gusler content my somewhat regular readings of trip computer are mid 14 to low 15 (which seems about 1mpg higher than actual calculations on my car). Calculated apears to be from 13.3 mpg to 14.5 mpg. Could this be due to my happily heavy right foot (got to feel what I paid for). Or maybe due to my daily route. About 2.5 miles twice a day with 9-10 stops every time (sometimes more), and about minute engine warm up for each time. And about 3-4 times a week additional short trips with few more stops. About twice a week 10 mile trip trough medium(not just standing) local tarffic (if more that twice I get a better mileage). Or could this be due to 5EAT transmition that I have becouse of my daily route. P.S. Back in july I made about 500 mile trip (started at about 750 miles on the car). By the end of it my mpg was above 25mpg - after I opened up the car at 1000 miles.

I am pretty lucky in that a majority of my daily driving is "low speed" highways. Typically between 50 - 65 mph. I have about 2600 miles on my GT wagon now and am getting about 25 mpg. The trip computer has ALWAYS been optimistic, by about 1 mpg. I've noticed I get significantly better gas mileage (high 20's) during warm temperatures than during cold mornings (low 20's or high teens). I'm not sure if it is weather related or because the engine has not warmed up yet.

I have about 4800 miles on my GT sedan 5MT now. Over the last 2100 miles (since I last reset my "B" trip meter) I have gotten 24.3 MPG. This is 90% highway driving with the A/C on, and the 10% I am not on the highway I drive on a the sprited side of things. :D -Nick

Hmmm, the 3.0R isn't that bad as I thought. I get about 19 mpg with mixed city and "medium"-highway driving (65 mph). But I have to admit that I take the engine to the redline quite often (for overtaking and for traffic light runs). Of course the 3.0R is fully different than the 2.5 T engine. But it is interesting to see that the Turbo also decreases in mileage when a lot of acceleration is done. One of my observations with my former 2.0 DOHC Turbo Legacy is, that in long highways with only a few acceleration events the mileage was great, but in town or on the autobahn the mileage was worse than that of the 3.0R ! But that was with lots of lead footing. So the mileage directly depends on your right foot :wink: Not that I could hold back in that matter ...

My 2.5i sedan will get about 28mpgs during my weekly commute (80 miles/day which takes about 2 1/4 hrs). A lot of my return commute is stop and go, so I'm pretty pleased w/ the gas mileage. The car will also get about 31 mpg on an extended highway trip. Pretty good for an AWD auto, I think.

Flo4Legacy - remember that a US gallon is different to a UK gallon. In Germany you would use l/100km I suppose so you probably already used a US gallon in your conversion? The Australian Legacy's now use L/100km on the car display. My non-turbo my05 legacy returns 25 USmpg in the city (9.4L/100km) with spirited driving (some gear changes between 4 and 5500 rpm). Shane.

Shane, I think I used the right US gallon. I guess you have the 2.5i engine, or ? My 3.0R needs about 12 - 13 litres per 100 km. It directly depends on the requested power. But it is too much fun to drive it "sporty", so I guess a lower mileage won't be possible in near future (at least not for me) :twisted:

On the turbo engine..... When you feel power (boost) your using fuel. Stay out of the boost (lightly revving and never lugging) will give the best results. But who can do this?!!!

my trip computer is showing 18 mpg now... didn't run through a whole tank yet to do it manually. car had 1/2 a tank when i got it, and it showed 16.2 mpg .. Its easy not to boost all the time... I can control when i want that boost or not.. no need to floor it at every stop & go :)

[quote name='GT-L']20 mpg on a gtl sedan, my maxima gets better gas mileage :([/quote] Sorry, your Maxima comes up two differentials short for this comparison. :roll: -Nick

I have an '05 Legacy GT Sedan and my mileage to-date on 91 octane (from July) is: Miles Gallons MPG 311.3 13.924 22.36 312.4 13.777 22.68 300.5 13.595 22.10 The trip computer always showed at least 1 MPG higher, and I noticed that it changes in increments of 0.3 MPG (mostly hovering around 24.3 MPG). My driving is 50% 70mph to work, 25% 80mph to L.A., and 25% around town. Another thing that's even weaker is that the Miles Remaining changes by 10 miles. 10? What kind of accuracy is that? My buddy's 2 year old 350Z shows the remaining miles to the single digit! Sure, it might not be totally accurate, but it's a hell of a lot more fidelity than +/- 10.

[quote name='godwhomismike']My gas mileage has been somewhat dismal. I've averaged only 18.7 mpg, mostly highway, in the first 780 miles of driving. - Mike[/quote] ouch. are you keeping the RPMs below 4000 for the break-in?

Archived