LegacyGT.com

best single suspension upgrade for 2.5i wagon?

scottmcphee

My Legacy is stock 2.5i wagon, non-turbo.

I find it wallows a bit in the corners, with more body roll than I'd like.

This might have been discussed to death already, please point me...

but I'd like to get validated opinions (people who have tried it)

for what would be the best single upgrade to the car to tighten it up

a bit in corners.. ?? I'm looking for bang-for-the buck and low cost.

Is there a "best cheap easy fix" for this?

..and yes, the 17" stock tires are inflated correctly.

anti-sway or roll bar thickened? front or back first?

shock upgrade?

spring upgrade?

Are there stock parts of higher-end models, turbo, LTD, etc..?

that can be fitted on my lowly 2.5i wagon that would probably

make a difference?

Thanks

Scott

Get 05 2.5i fsb, which thicker than 06 2.5i's one (~$50) - one member did it plus JDM GT rsb ($190 shipped from Japan). This is the best bang for buck.

This will remove a good amount of body roll. Still the thing will remain floaty, so you have to get better shocks/springs (or at least springs). Springs only are the cheapest, but I would not recommend just springs - stock struts/shocks are crap and lowered springs will just eat them real fast.

Few keywords; Bilsteins, pinks, tein, swift, ion, coilovers - search you will find lots of info. And yes, suspension parts except fsb are compatible between 2.5i and GT. Unfortunatelly there are no really cheap suspension upgrades. The cheapest are Bilstein take-offs from Japan, but these are hard to get.

Also, don't forget to replace tires if you have crappy (and deadly) RE92. Supposedly 06 2.5i come with Yokohamas, which for sure are better than RE92, anything is.

Best bang for buck as above--Rear 20mm JDM sway bar, front sway bar from 05 2.5i (GT front bar will not fit).

After that you're talking law of diminishing returns--big money for ever decreasing benefits.

Just so you know, I have an '05 2.5i wagon with JDM rear sway and it is a totally different animal than it was with the stock 16mm rear bar. Corners flat, rotates well with just a touch of oversteer (just the way I like it), noticeably less wallow in turns.

P.

I don't think anybody makes a front sway that fits a 2.5i. That's why Unclemat recommended an '05 OEM front bar (21mm as opposed to 20 for the '06).

Many have been happy with Cobb rear bar, I get the feeling from reading posts that the Cusco is a better fit. JDM bar is somewhat harder to get (AVO or Rallitek), but it is the bar Subaru uses in every other market but ours, and as such goes in like butter, perfect fit, OEM looks.

I think you probably can't go wrong with Cusco or JDM, Cobb makes good stuff and should be fine, but there have been reports of the width being slightly off.

P.

I was under the impression that the Cusco fit both the I and the GT?

front sway bars have fitment issues from the 2.5i vs the GT.. I think it has to do with the exhaust work that is in the way.. I dont remember..

Keefe

Tires are a good answer but don't address the wallow and roll so much.

I keep cars through at least 2 tire changes, so I think of the OEM as "break-in" tires. Second set are always premium tires, third set depends on the condition of the car.

Of course, for me a car is just broken in at 50,000 miles!!! New Michelins coming in September.

P.

Get 05 2.5i fsb, which thicker than 06 2.5i's one (~$50) - ...

Any idea what the diameter is?

...Also, don't forget to replace tires if you have crappy (and deadly) RE92. Supposedly 06 2.5i come with Yokohamas, which for sure are better than RE92, anything is.

Our '06 came with RE92's. And I've driven worse - e.g., Mich xw4, OEM on our '98.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Ours is 19 - but then there's the issue of OB v L fitment, at least on the front.... Dunno if anyone's adressed that.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived