• 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71 and above

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Add a dash of stupid and you have the recipe for a tragedy! What is wrong with your parents???

Well, I'm 39 and most likely would not buy a 16 yr old an LGT to mod right outta the gates HOWEVER unless you personally know F1anatic I don't think you should make a statement like that without some shred of fact to back it up with. For all you know he may have excellent driving skills, taken some professional driving lessons, and may have been racing on a controlled course for longer than you've been driving!(?) Don't be so hasty to judge.:(

edit: didn't catch your age on this poll(?)

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Well, first that wasn't a comment really about him personally, but more to the fact that his parents who either don't know what that car can do or don't care is the problem there. No matter how much training he has had and how atune his driving skills might be that is a Stage 3 Legacy Gt that is clearly his daily driving road car, and there is not one 16 year old on Earth that needs a car like that to get back and forth to school and/or his part time job. If he was walking around the street with a rifle or a hand gun we wouldn't be talking about how long he has been range shooting or what an amazing shot he is, yet years and loads of driving training seem to justify his driving that car on the road, and at 16 that can quickly become leathal. I mean just a month ago we were all on here talking about someone who sold their seriously modded car to a young driver that was soon there after in a fatal car accident in said car, and now a month later this kid is good to go? Take a little care to read the finer point and take a look at the big picture... not that I was judging this kid, but if I was is that really the problem here? By the way I am 31 and when I was this kids age my dad bought me a 1992 Camaro Z28.. biggest mistake of both of our lives... I racked up speeding ticket after speeding ticket, and managed to get myself in a situation that fortunatley did not result in a serious accident but an inch this way or that and who knows... that was clearly too much car for me and this is too much car for this kid. After my little accident my dad did the right thing and traded that car in for a Saturn, which I hated and was not in any regards a treat to drive, but taught me to be a better/safer driver, mature and now be able to look back on it, as apposed to not being here at all. I just wanted to share that so not to look like a hipocrit... I am just speaking from experience.

Well, first that wasn't a comment really about him personally, but more to the fact that his parents who either don't know what that car can do or don't care is the problem there. No matter how much training he has had and how atune his driving skills might be that is a Stage 3 Legacy Gt that is clearly his daily driving road car, and there is not one 16 year old on Earth that needs a car like that to get back and forth to school and/or his part time job. If he was walking around the street with a rifle or a hand gun we wouldn't be talking about how long he has been range shooting or what an amazing shot he is, yet years and loads of driving training seem to justify his driving that car on the road, and at 16 that can quickly become leathal. I mean just a month ago we were all on here talking about someone who sold their seriously modded car to a young driver that was soon there after in a fatal car accident in said car, and now a month later this kid is good to go? Take a little care to read the finer point and take a look at the big picture... not that I was judging this kid, but if I was is that really the problem here? By the way I am 31 and when I was this kids age my dad bought me a 1992 Camaro Z28.. biggest mistake of both of our lives... I racked up speeding ticket after speeding ticket, and managed to get myself in a situation that fortunatley did not result in a serious accident but an inch this way or that and who knows... that was clearly too much car for me and this is too much car for this kid. After my little accident my dad did the right thing and traded that car in for a Saturn, which I hated and was not in any regards a treat to drive, but taught me to be a better/safer driver, mature and now be able to look back on it, as apposed to not being here at all. I just wanted to share that so not to look like a hipocrit... I am just speaking from experience.

Finer point? Didn't see it. Again, you don't know this person, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't know the particulars, maybe you shouldn't be too hasty to judge. Re-read my first post in this thread, I wouldn't buy a 16 yr old this as a 1st car either, but I wouldn't bash his parents in any case. You don't know.

Fin.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Damn, at least bosco is a tad older then me.:icon_wink

Old men untie!:icon_cool

wow i finally won something. i don't care how old you are it still feels the same................LOL

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

That's where I partially, but not fully, agree with this.

Under 21? Maybe. First car? No. I think somebody's first car should be something a little cheaper (unless of course you're buying it yourself, pay your own insurance, gas, etc...). Enough to learn driving on, but something that if it gets in an accident it's not a big deal. Also, there's a big difference between totaling a $5000 vehicle and a $27,000 vehicle.

[edit]

Let me also add that my feelings about the Legacy and age really only apply to the GT. While I do think even the 2.5i is too expensive of a car for a first car, for a second car it's great. I got my 2nd Accord brand new when I turned 18, and I payed every dime for it myself.

Yea i can see where ur coming from...i drove an 01 focus zts for a little over a year which i paid for half of and then i got a great job this summer so i traded my focus and got an 05 Legacy 2.5i (this happened last nite actually hehe) and i'm paying for everything...monthly payment, insurance, and gas...and of course for any mods :lol: but i do agree that it would be a little too much for anybody's first car...because even i know how i drove my focus for the first few months :icon_wink

got you beat, 57, protuned, up/dp hfc, brola cbe, avo v.2, tein-h, rota's, f1, ect. help me stop this maddness

btw i thought when i bought the lgt i was buying a more grown up car. almost everyone here is in their 20's. how the hell you boys affording lgt's and mods?

bosco

I make more than you :lol:

My son is 18 and heading to college. He's had his license for a bit over two years. When I purchased my 05 LGTL 5MT wagon in June I let him drive my 99 Passat wagon, 155,000 miles, 5MT, chipped to 190 HP, for the summer. He is a good driver, but likes to drive fast, occassionally in the "how-fast-will-this-go" mode. One speeding ticket. He just loves the LGT and I saw that as the recipe for trouble.

When I had to leave the LGT at my in-laws where he was staying, I told him he could drive it, but no more than 39 miles until the odometer hit 19,600 miles. Without permission, he took the LGT to Vermont with his cousin for a party; about 400 miles total. I was not a happy camper, and took away his use of the Passat for the rest of the summer.

For most teenagers, the LGT is just too much fun and too hard to resist driving too fast. Especially if its either given to them or they have unlimited use of Mom or Dad's LGT. Putting ones own hard earned money down to buy, insure, and maintain does make one more responsible.

My son is 18 and heading to college. He's had his license for a bit over two years. When I purchased my 05 LGTL 5MT wagon in June I let him drive my 99 Passat wagon, 155,000 miles, 5MT, chipped to 190 HP, for the summer. He is a good driver, but likes to drive fast, occassionally in the "how-fast-will-this-go" mode. One speeding ticket. He just loves the LGT and I saw that as the recipe for trouble.

When I had to leave the LGT at my in-laws where he was staying, I told him he could drive it, but no more than 39 miles until the odometer hit 19,600 miles. Without permission, he took the LGT to Vermont with his cousin for a party; about 400 miles total. I was not a happy camper, and took away his use of the Passat for the rest of the summer.

For most teenagers, the LGT is just too much fun and too hard to resist driving too fast. Especially if its either given to them or they have unlimited use of Mom or Dad's LGT. Putting ones own hard earned money down to buy, insure, and maintain does make one more responsible.

i feel your pain. you are so right it hurts. better to have a pissed off kid than a dead one or some innocent bystander. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

36 with 7, 5 and 3 year old boys.

If I still have my car when drivers licenses are issued I will be setting the "valet" mode on the Access Port (Max RPMS 2500)... but I will happily pay for an SCCA membership for each of them and Auto-cross with them (no better way to learn car control).

I dodged a few bullets driving my mom's CRX SI as a kid.

really. i'm glad for you. you young boys need to make more so i can stay retired.

bosco..................LOL

Its nothing but :wub:. 2 people at 2 places in their life. Im younger and single and you are...well retired.

So when are you coming to a meet I cant wait to meet bosco :icon_cool

Its nothing but :wub:. 2 people at 2 places in their life. Im younger and single and you are...well retired.

So when are you coming to a meet I cant wait to meet bosco :icon_cool

i have been trying to go to a meet and would really like to meet the guys who have cost me thousands of dollars of mods on a car i was going to leave alone. LOL. i'm on a fixed income and you guys are killing me. this keeps up i'm going to be eating canned dog food. just kidding. i check the north central forum all the time and i know it's hard to get everyone in one place at one time but i will try to make the next one. first round on me.

just remember Mr. Clark i've been were your trying to get. LOL

bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived