LegacyGT.com

Longtime Subaru loyalist can't fit in new models!! HELP!!

Fastball

I am soo frustrated!!:(

I've been a longtime Subaru owner for years. I have always seen to it I had a Subaru in my stable for the winter months. I had an 87 XT Turbo GL10 that I put 189K on. I now have a '90 Legacy L with 240K on, but she will not make it through the next state inspection come September. Underneath is too far gone. Sucks, because motor runs like a freakin' top!!

I recently bought my wife an '00 Outback Sedan and thought I could really use a new one myself, but at 6'6" I can't fit in any of the newer models! Why would Subaru dis one of their biggest enthusiasts/supporters?

I test drove a '97 GT, a '00 GT yesterday, and the balls out '06 last year. I sat in everything on the dealer's lot except a Tribeca and a Forrester. Ain't going there!

The problem is my right leg is wedged/pinned in between the steering wheel and the radio console. If the seat went back more or the steering colomn went up farther, I'd be fine!

Any other "vertically gifted" owner's out there have any recommendations/mods for the comfort of a new model Subaru??

Thanks in advance,

Big Dave

Dave, I'm not 6-6, but more like 5-11. In 1998 I went shopping for a wagon and settled on the Volvo V70 over the Outback of the same year. The reason was legroom.

8 years and 152,000 miles later, the Volvo is starting to co$t me. The 2006 Outback that I just bought to replave the Volvo has more leg room on the driver's side than the Volvo due to the very forward clutch position on the Subaru. I used to have the Volvo seat all the way back, now it's scooched forward a bit on the new Outback. This also adds some leg room to the rear driver side seat. I have the steering wheel at it's highest position and the seat set to the lowest height. This allows my legs to swing in and out quite easily, and my head doesn't bang on the roof. Remember, I'm 5-11.

But, for some strange reason , there is less legroom in the front passerger position, even with the seat to the rear-most setting. And, yes, both rear seats have very short leg room.

I know the Nissan Maxima/Altima have some decent room in front, but they aren't AWD Soobies.

From your experience, what are good cars for 6-6'ers?

It's an odd thing. Our Honda Accord can go back so far you can't touch the pedals with your toes (and has a telescoping steering column).

Our 204" long Nissan Quest doesn't go back very far at all - even with the adjustable pedals all the way forward. Nor do other minivans, it seems.

I wonder if the electric seats go back farther than manual seats?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

*Shrug* I'm 6'8" and have no complaints with fitting in my LGT. I've made several 1,000mile trips with a small lumbar pillow and was perfectly comfortable.

Now I'm going crazy! How the heck can you do that??? :icon_conf

Isn't your right leg pinned between the wheel and console? I just drove my wife's Outback to a wedding just hours ago for the first time and because I had shorts on and the steering wheel stuck to my thigh, I about ran over the curb!

Boy, did I get the "look"!

That's the only problem I have. Seats are great, head room is fine, just the leg jammed in between the console and wheel. I'm a big man, but I ain't Jabba the Hutt by no means.

My XT was great for a taller person! The seat lowered and went far enough back, not to mention the tilt wheel was also telescopic. Freakin' ingenious!!

My '90 Legacy is not quite as comfortable, but after over 200K miles, it didn't become a problem until 3 yrs ago when I hurt my knee playing ball. That's when I picked up a one owner SHO, Mustang eater. Awesome car, but I have been spoiled when it comes to nasty weather, thanks to my Subies.

Big Dave

Now I'm going crazy! How the heck can you do that??? :icon_conf

Isn't your right leg pinned between the wheel and console? I just drove my wife's Outback to a wedding just hours ago for the first time and because I had shorts on and the steering wheel stuck to my thigh, I about ran over the curb!

Boy, did I get the "look"!

That's the only problem I have. Seats are great, head room is fine, just the leg jammed in between the console and wheel. I'm a big man, but I ain't Jabba the Hutt by no means.

Big Dave

if keep dragging your right knee like your avatar the problem will be solved. lol bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

cant u make the front of the seat lower? I know in my WRX there is a handle on the side of the seat that if u pump the front of the seat dips and hte rear lifts thus making ur legs lower. im 6'1 and i have no problems what so ever in either the WRX or Outback (granted 6'6 is a lot bigger).

In my wife's Outback sedan, the passanger seat I have tons of room, but no steering wheel, so that does make a difference.

I am aware of the seat bolster and always put it to the lowest position.

I am starting to see that although some of us are the same height I have a little more weight. I go 300lbs. Not so much like I said from the beer & pizza, (ok, alittle:icon_wink ), but I was a longtime baseball pitcher and weightlifted for years concentrating on my legs. That's where the power is. I cannot wear regular cut jeans because of my thighs, so I guess this is where the real problem lies.

I went and looked at a used '91 Legacy LS yesterday and just like my '90....no problems fitting in there. I am afraid that this is going to be my only alternative. Just ain't supposed to own something new.:confused:

I happened to have the same problem in the new Mustang as well. Manufacturers are making the middle console come out farther and are making them wider to boot.

You guys that are "vertically challenged" take note, being big tends to suck too!!

Thanks again to all that responded!

Big Dave

I am starting to see that although some of us are the same height I have a little more weight. I go 300lbs. Not so much like I said from the beer & pizza, (ok, alittle:icon_wink ), but I was a longtime baseball pitcher and weightlifted for years concentrating on my legs. That's where the power is. I cannot wear regular cut jeans because of my thighs, so I guess this is where the real problem lies.

Ding ding ding ding ding! I was a swimmer.

ignore him, he'll go away.

There is a fairly straight forward solution.

Buy a Legacy with manual seats. Either the '05 non-limited LGT if you want the turbo or the 2.5i. The manual seat sliders are just 2 rails that bolts up to tabs on the side of the seats. You can just get a metal shop to fab you a adaptor plate/frame to put between the seat tabs and sliders to give you more leg room. Or you can go with aftermarket sliders + custom bracket for something more sturdy. The cost should be around $200-300.

Any other "vertically gifted" owner's out there have any recommendations/mods for the comfort of a new model Subaru??

Thanks in advance,

Big Dave

I'm over 6'6" and fit fine with the seat all the way back. BUt I have long arms and I don't really have beefy legs.

There is a fairly straight forward solution.

Buy a Legacy with manual seats. Either the '05 non-limited LGT if you want the turbo or the 2.5i. The manual seat sliders are just 2 rails that bolts up to tabs on the side of the seats. You can just get a metal shop to fab you a adaptor plate/frame to put between the seat tabs and sliders to give you more leg room. Or you can go with aftermarket sliders + custom bracket for something more sturdy. The cost should be around $200-300.

:whore:

Subaru ergonomics is a little weird, I guess they designed it around little japanese guys. I'm not that big, 5'8" but I have my issues with the car. One, the steering wheel when at the right angle for my hands is at the highest position. Every other car I've driven, that would be in the middle settings. Two, the electric seats don't go low enough. I really would like to sit about 1-2" lower, but I already got it bottomed out. So I have the seat all the way down, with the wheel all the way up. If someone was larger than I am, they definitely would have trouble getting in and out or finding a comfortable position.

Subaru ergonomics is a little weird, I guess they designed it around little japanese guys. I'm not that big, 5'8" but I have my issues with the car. One, the steering wheel when at the right angle for my hands is at the highest position. Every other car I've driven, that would be in the middle settings. Two, the electric seats don't go low enough. I really would like to sit about 1-2" lower, but I already got it bottomed out. So I have the seat all the way down, with the wheel all the way up. If someone was larger than I am, they definitely would have trouble getting in and out or finding a comfortable position.

I'm 5'7", little Asian guy and I have the same complaints. But I have always owned and driven 2-door sports cars until the LGT so I attribute the sitting preference to that.

I have recently learned that years ago Subaru had some sort of "post production" seat bracket/adapters for individuals as myself. Unfortunately very few were sold and circulated for liability issues if in an accident and the seat broke loose.

I have spoken to a guy at a local machine shop and he expressed the same concern of liability.

That used '91 LS is looking like my only avenue. It would be by second/winter car and my SHO would continue to rock. Not to dissappointed about that idea except for the extra insurance payment and driveway "musical chairs".

But I'm still investigating some other place for seat brackets to accomodate me in a newer Subie!

Thanks guys!

Big Dave

Sounds stupid, but I am 6'5" and I had the same problem. I found that if I run the seat all the way down in the back, up a bit in the front, and the seatback straighter up than I usually run. I then go against all reasoning and move the seat FORWARD (I actually have the seat farther foreward than my 5'10" wife!). This bends the knees more and then I just rest my leg against the console. It works way better then you would think, AND I have my shifter and steering wheel a perfect distance from me.

I have given this advice to my uncle who hated the seats in his wifes Forester....he now doesn't have any probs driving it!

The problem you are going to have though might be the GT seats if you go that route, the thigh bolsters could be hard on you.

My old 2000 RS was the PERFECT car for tall people (I could even wear a helmet comfortably in it)...you could try to find one of those too....

Archived