LegacyGT.com

Buttery Clutch and not very sporty, my test drive review!!!

lol its ok i agree i am spoiled, except i do have two jobs and work hard and i onlny will get a car if i do well this term in school and right now im studying fo an ap exam friday and doing an ap proj due tmrw and trying to do a million other things and i keep getting distracted by this site lol.... ah1!! so yes i am spoiled but i am a decent driver, agressive, but i good driver none the less.... -aex

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Alex1'] and shane why would i need to learn how to drive... ive been driving for a year and something tells me my parents wouldnt let me drive the TT if i couldnt / didnt know how to drive.. i cant tell if ur being an idiot or u meant something that i dont understand -alex[/quote] Ever heard the phrase the more you know the more you know how much you don't know? The corollary being that if you don't know much it seems like you know everything...

Or what about a WRX? Then put the rest of the money into mods. Just because you live in New England doesn't require you to have an AWD car. You can make it through the winters just fine with a FWD or even a RWD car, its all about "how" you drive, not "what" you drive.

[quote name='ssaldana']I agree, 1 years is not enough. 5 years and you're decent. 7 years and you've got most of the defensive/offensive driving knowledge down.[/quote] I whole-heartedly agree. The first few years of driving, I'd freak out any time I had to take the car on the highway. Entrance ramps scared the bejeezus out of me. Keep your speed up! Check your blind spot. Is that guy changing lanes [i]into[/i] the merge lane? Oh no! The lane is ending and nobody's letting me in . . . AAAHHHHHH!!! [img]http://inat.org/Images/Smilies/lol.gif[/img] It wasn't until recently that I've gone all "zen" on driving. I believe there's an art to it. Not just in technique but in also being completely aware of your surroundings. Always being aware of the cars immediately around you yet also always looking far ahead and far to the rear. One of these days I’m going to sit down and write all of my self-defined “rules” and “guidelines” and start an "Art of Driving" thread with it. I’m interested to see what those older than me can offer up. Anywaaaay, yeah, IMO it takes around 5-7 years for you to [i]start[/i] getting good and really appreciate the qualities of a fine automobile.

well.... if i were u, i would get a Mini Cooper S. It drives very sporty, pretty fast, extremely nice paint jobm, reasonable MPG, low insurance, small but useful interior, very nice looking interior design that is made by high quality materials, a base model is well priced, made by BMW, very high resale value, and it is very fun to drive too. even a heavily loaded one is around 25k only. I have never heard of any mini owners have problems with it in winter too. hey, i am serious. get a mini S; it fits a young man like you! nonetheless, LSD will be available for 2005 jan models. [url]http://www.mini2.com/[/url] check out its forum. u might be interested in it :D [img]http://coloradorick.smugmug.com/photos/7081421-M.jpg[/img]

You guys need to mellow out a little bit. I don't mean to be a buzzkill or anything, but some of you are being a little judgemental and rude to the kid. He is being polite and just asking for some input. No need to be bitchy, rude, or condecending.... [b]Alex1[/b], I would recommend you take a step back and list out the: 1) MUST HAVE 2) WOULD LIKE features for your new car. Then, you can begin to eliminate some models. From there, you can do research, test drives, etc. of the remaining contenders. It is your car and your money... take a little time and see all the cars that are out there... make an informed decision.... :D I would be happy to help you further... as I am sure others on here would.

[quote name='Throttlejockey'][quote name='mccorry']It is your car and your money... take a little time and see all the cars that are out there... make an informed decision.... :D [/quote] Actually, it's not his money. Good for him. :P[/quote] :lol:

Ok let me get something off my chest before I start.... I HATE YOU!!!! ok now with that out let me start. Which TT are you driving 180, 180 Quattro, or 225 Quattro. Coupe or Roadster? With the Legacy GT, it's basically an adult's STi - favors luxury over sport, but still offers a good deal of sport. And no it's not a sports car. GT means grand touring, which is different than a sports car. - Mike

[quote name='Alex1']i onlny will get a car if i do well this term in school and right now im studying fo an ap exam friday and doing an ap proj due tmrw and trying to do a million other things and i keep getting distracted by this site lol.... ah1!! [/quote] Hope you're not taking teh AP English exam Friday! Stop worrying about the Legacy GT and start brushing up on your GT (Grammar Technique) :wink:

[quote name='Uberoo'][quote name='Alex1']i onlny will get a car if i do well this term in school and right now im studying fo an ap exam friday and doing an ap proj due tmrw and trying to do a million other things and i keep getting distracted by this site lol.... ah1!! [/quote] Hope you're not taking teh AP English exam Friday! Stop worrying about the Legacy GT and start brushing up on your GT (Grammar Technique) :wink:[/quote] I have a "Intro to MIS" exam and a "Phillosophy" (Ethics) paper tue Tuesday. This on top of work everyday at 7am. We all have crap to do man. :D

[quote name='Alex1']Ok, so you all know me im 17 and im getting a car in feb and im looking at the 2.5 gt lmt sedan :-d :-d First of all, most pictures on line dont do it justice, in person i love the car, could use a new front bumper though... ANyways, today i just drove a: 05 lmt gt 2.5 Alantic Blue MT At first, i notice the clutch is soft, it doesnt even get harder as you push or anything... Ive been driving an audi TT quatro MT for a year.... That has a sport and hard clutch which i enjoy, The legacy has almost no feeling to the brake and the clutch Another thing i hated was how you cant hear the engine whine or anything The TT you can hear from far away and i love that I guess its not a very sporty sedan unless you put in an aftermarket pipe and stuff Please tell me guys if you feel the same way! I couldnt drive it over 4k rpm cuz it was only ast 871 miles... But the turbo didnt kick in at all even up to 4k.... I was a little disspointed, tell me what i could do to mine inthe future if i buy one to make it more sporty.... -alex[/quote] The hood scoop, the optional rear spoiler, and the 17" rims make this car look very sporty to me. As far as noise, you can remove the intake silencer, and get a cat-back exhaust system installed and the car will sound much better to you. You can also install an aftermarket boost gauge on your dash. I've been kicking this around myself, the car really needs one. Now this is a perferct car for you for the weather conditions you encounter in your area, plus it seats 5 people with decent comfort. The acceleration in the Legacy GT comes smooth and evenly, and although the car REALLY MOVES, it does so in a refined manner which may not inspire a symphony of "oohs and ahhhs," from your friends every time you nail it. This car will out perform most other cars on the road though, and if your friends don't believe it, just say "let's line'm up." I don't know what the clutch of an Audi feels like, but I'll bet you $20 the Subaru clutch is better built, and will last longer, provided you don't abuse it. Hope that helps you make up your mind on this car.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='scubie02']sounds like you should look at an srt-4, then you will have plenty of exhaust noise[/quote] You beat me to it. [img]http://www.kencars.com/img/srt4.jpg[/img] Can we say "fastAr"?[/quote] OMG, does anyone know how to clean up puke off of a computer keyboard?

I do think the car is "sporty." Sure there are some things that people would do differently, but thats personal taste. Its not as in your face as with other cars, but some people don't want that. Personally the less attention i can bring to myself, the less chance i'll get caught. I think most of the lack of sportiness is from the rear. Looking from the side, you see the 17", low tires, and huge rotors, front you have the scoop. Either way, its not meant to be over the top. If you want that, thats what bodykits and stuff are for. As far as the kid goes. There is no sense in getting upset. Everyone one of us would be thrilled to be in his position, reguardless of what you say. Are we jealous? perhaps, but thats besides the point. Are we smart enough to know that this is a foolish decision by his parents? I hope so. Its not simply a matter of having the money. If Alex thinks he is even going to be contributing a good amount of money to things he is dreaming. The amount he is contributing to the mix is VERY small. so you pay for some gas and an oil change big deal. Any idea how much your insurance is going to be...i bet easily from prior Boston area experience, that its going to be pushing 300-350 / mo easily. But thats if he is the primary driver. The cheaper way would be to piggy-back off his parents, but you can't do that if there are too many cars there. Nevermind the inevitable accident. See certainly don't want anyone hurt or anything, but most of the guys here know how they were when they were younger. We're not better than anyone else, but we all know what stupid things we did. You saying with a year of driving, you are good experienced driver is laughable. That accident WILL happen, just hopefully everyone is safe afterwards, but then the nice insurance deductable, never-mind the insurance increase after that, if you are paying high before something happens, have fun after a ticket or accident :cry: ...good god i wouldn't even want to image that. There is a reason that insurance rates for that age are very high. As far as car selection, most of the people here are right, from how you have described your priorities, the LGT is not the car you are looking for. You don't NEED awd to get through the winter. Of course it has its advantages, but it in no way effects the most important aspect of winter driving....how to STOP. No offense, but you kind of seem like that classic case of I am invincible in my SUV or AWD vehicle....that goes sliding all over the place. All in all, i think you should re-evaluate what you are looking for. If you want loud "notice" me car then the LGT isn't the best choice.

Alex, A good thing for you to do when you get some time would be to do a search on Edmunds or another website for any car that is under 30k that is sporty sedan or a sports car, then make a list with what you find and go test drive them all. The more cars you drive, the better an idea you might get of what you really want out of a car, since no two are made equal. And also, definitely look into insurance rates before you go purchase something. I'm 24 and my insurance is still close to $2000 a year, though will drop a big chunk when I turn 25. But I remember when I was your age, and $2000 or $3000 is a good portion of what you make working part time while taking classes, and the last thing you want to do at your age is to have to work just to afford your car. Then you won't have any money for chasing girls or hanging out with your friends :( . I've had friends do that, and its not fun. Enjoy those years while you can, don't waste them away working!

AUDI TT QUATRO 225 :-D aright guys your taking me the wrong way i dont mean LOUD like a beater or a riced out honda civic with a 5 inch pipe.... i mean like a nice sounding borla exhaust like the way a porche or audi tt sounds... Im not looking for a racy looking car, if i was i would look into the wrx... to me that is childish racy, i want sophisticated racy, which the legacy is but it could be more with a little better bumper kit and side skirts, most of you would agree with me on this and plus for the money i am adding : i AM paying for the ENTIRE INSURANCE and i know that it will be roughly 3500 bucks a yr i AM paying for gas and everything else, just not the intitial car cost itself... and truthfully i hate it when you guys say my parents are making a bad decision they arent retarded they arent letting me get a porche, (dont flam and say legs are faster) you know what im trying to point out... im not getting a vette... im not getting any super car im not getting a "bmw" im not getting an upscale "s4" im not getting an escalade, im not getting a denali im not getting/ looking at exspensive vehicles that kids dont belong in your gonna reply saying kids dont belong in legacys and im going to say thats on the verge sure 30 k is alot but its not in the same class, nor is it held in the same esteem (whatever that saying is) as is a bmw, jag, or audi.... subaru is subaru is subaru, there is no chaning it to the unknowing public you all have seen the VW toureg and the VW phateon.... nnot many ppl want a toureg cuz its the poor man's prche cyanna, and no one wants to spend 80 + on the phateon when there are much nicer audi's/ jags/beamers out there for that money ppl cant get over the brand im not saying that is right im just telling you how it is i agree the legacy is a very fast and very nice car and it is al so exspensive i dont even know where my point was anymore im ranting and raving ill remeber soon, not trying to be an a$$ it just annoys me when ppl say his parents dont know what there doing, because for the most part they do :-/ -alex

the whole point of a sports car is not to have a lot of noise. thats the whole point of a rice/american car. don't look at the GT as a sport car, true it has the qualities of a sports-driven vehicle, but it is, as mentioned by another member, geared towards those who want a more refined vehicle that do not want a roaring exhaust/engine. i think you should definately look elsewhere, you're in the wrong genre of cars (as far as i can see). if 30k is your max and u want awd, get a WRX *edit* you replied just as i did :) you want a lot for 30k. sorry to say ti but your bitchign so much abotu the elgacy it doesn't seem like it would be the right car for you. unless you look into used, there aren't too many options. as for your last sentence, its the ignorance of the kids that influences peoples opinions regarding that matter. if one takes time to research cars, their situation,a nd know what they need/want then we wouldn't have kids riding around in cars that are way too fast for there experince

My suggestion on how to handle 30K from grandma: 1) Buy a nice, sporty(ish) SMALL car such as a Mazda3 (or similar). Small size means easier to manage at college and better gas milage. Smaller engine means much better insurance (remember, odds are that you WILL be in an accident before age 25, then your insurance goes WAY up). 2) Put the remaining 15K in the bank. I know that a cool sports car is what you WANT, and you feel you deserve it (you probably do), but fighting that urge and deferring your gratitfication will mean a LOT more to you (no regrets down the road) and to your folks (they have a level headed child), than a cool car now. Think it through, weigh the Pros and Cons, and then do what you feel is right.

[quote name='Alex1']AUDI TT QUATRO 225 :-D aright guys your taking me the wrong way i dont mean LOUD like a beater or a riced out honda civic with a 5 inch pipe.... i mean like a nice sounding borla exhaust like the way a porche or audi tt sounds... Im not looking for a racy looking car, if i was i would look into the wrx... to me that is childish racy, i want sophisticated racy, which the legacy is but it could be more with a little better bumper kit and side skirts, most of you would agree with me on this and plus for the money i am adding : i AM paying for the ENTIRE INSURANCE and i know that it will be roughly 3500 bucks a yr i AM paying for gas and everything else, just not the intitial car cost itself... and truthfully i hate it when you guys say my parents are making a bad decision they arent retarded they arent letting me get a porche, (dont flam and say legs are faster) you know what im trying to point out... im not getting a vette... im not getting any super car im not getting a "bmw" im not getting an upscale "s4" im not getting an escalade, im not getting a denali im not getting/ looking at exspensive vehicles that kids dont belong in your gonna reply saying kids dont belong in legacys and im going to say thats on the verge sure 30 k is alot but its not in the same class, nor is it held in the same esteem (whatever that saying is) as is a bmw, jag, or audi.... subaru is subaru is subaru, there is no chaning it to the unknowing public you all have seen the VW toureg and the VW phateon.... nnot many ppl want a toureg cuz its the poor man's prche cyanna, and no one wants to spend 80 + on the phateon when there are much nicer audi's/ jags/beamers out there for that money ppl cant get over the brand im not saying that is right im just telling you how it is i agree the legacy is a very fast and very nice car and it is al so exspensive i dont even know where my point was anymore im ranting and raving ill remeber soon, not trying to be an a$$ it just annoys me when ppl say his parents dont know what there doing, because for the most part they do :-/ -alex[/quote] You don't have to put every thought on it's own line. :P

Archived