LegacyGT.com

Car and Driver Long term test of Legacy GT

rossodave

Man this review got me thinking that maybe it wasn't such a good idea deciding not to purchase the "subaru care" or whatever it is called extended warranty. :( But than again I do not abuse my car excessively, just from time to time :icon_wink I did notice that my rotors seem to be warped at about 5000 miles (same thing in my old Jetta) and that stupid noise when turning and going over bumps - (of course dealer could not duplicate)

This was at the end of the article...thought it was interesting:

BAUBLES AND BOLT-ONS

Can aftermarket parts outdo a factory effort? We first drove a limited-edition 2006 Subaru Legacy spec.B in April. It’s essentially a Legacy GT with a navigation system, stiffened suspension, and high-performance tires. Subtract out the $2000 nav system, and you’re left with a $3200 premium over the Legacy GT for a revised suspension that we still considered too soft. So how, we wondered next, would a standard $29,420 Legacy 2.5GT handle if we added performance tires (instead of the stock all-seasons) and an aftermarket suspension? Using that $3200 price premium as our budget bogey, could we beat the spec.B? (Yes, we know there’s a revised ’07 spec.B coming, but its suspension doesn’t change.)

The spec.B wears 18-inch Bridgestone Potenza RE050A performance tires (an inch larger than the GT’s). Those blue-chip tires cost $196 apiece from the Tire Rack, so we instead opted for performance-on-a-budget Kumho Ecsta SPT tires ($81 each) in the stock 17-inch size.

Having spent just $324 on the tires, we had $2876 left for a suspension. Taking advice from Subaru-owner Web forums such as www.nasioc.com and www.legacygt.com, we decided on Tein’s $1560 Flex suspension (TEIN U.S.A. HOMEPAGE), which includes stiffer springs and shocks. The Flex is one of Tein’s more-expensive setups, but it offers 16 positions for compression and rebound adjustments. It’s also height adjustable, lowering the Legacy by an inch in the highest setting and two inches in the lowest. And it comes with rigid pillow-ball upper-shock mounts, which Tein says improve steering feel.

The Flex is also compatible with Tein’s $380 EDFC (electronic damping force controller), a little box of electronics connected to four electric motors (one on top of each shock) that enables shock adjustments at the push of a button in the cabin.

We had the suspension installed at Tuning Factory (248-477-0700; Aftermarket Car Services, Modification, Installation, Custom Fabrication - Tuning Factory Inc, Novi MI) in Farmington Hills, Michigan, for $400. EDFC, with all its time-consuming wiring, accounted for $240 of that bill. We then had the company set the alignment back to the factory settings for $60.

All told, we spent $2724, about $500 less than our $3200 target. We had hoped to go cheap and handily outperform the spec.B in our objective tests, but the best our modified Legacy could do was a tie around the skidpad, pulling 0.87 g. That’s still a useful improvement over stock (0.83 g), and our Legacy jerked to a halt from 70 mph in 171 feet, beating the spec.B by six feet and the stock Legacy, when new, by 24 feet.

But the best result of our mods was the car’s newfound body control. Roly-poly responses became crisp, sharp, precise. One staffer even compared its motions with a perennial 10Bester, the BMW 3-series. Our Legacy wasn’t harsh, but it did feel noticeably firm and was noisy when traversing road irregularities — you hear a big whop over every bump, but you don’t feel it. That’s a trait the stock Legacy isn’t immune from, and it’s amplified here. Tein was right about the steering. The feel did improve; it’s meatier and has less play on-center.

So, big chassis improvements can be had in the aftermarket for reasonable amounts of money, and we’d recommend this setup to anyone wanting to completely transform a Legacy GT. — DV

I also liked the end. Especially interesting was that he mentioned our forums... which member is Dave? :D

This was at the end of the article...thought it was interesting:

BAUBLES AND BOLT-ONS

... Taking advice from Subaru-owner Web forums such as www.nasioc.com and www.legacygt.com, we decided on Tein’s $1560 Flex suspension (TEIN U.S.A. HOMEPAGE), which includes stiffer springs and shocks. ... — DV

• 4 weeks later...
Well I just read this article. Seems like someone was kinda angry that day. Accord V6 over a LGT? Yeah....thats much more of an improvement...my butt.

We have an o5 Accord V6. It has it's plusses - and minuses.

But it has been one of their perennials.

It's only Car & Driver. The Editor who wrote the article is 25 or so. Not surprising they beat the h#ll out of it.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived