LegacyGT.com

250 Horse Legacy V-6 - What Can It Do?

Just bought the latest issue of Road and Track with the comparo test between the Legacy GT and the Acura. Noticed that an optional 3.0 V-6 (the 3.0R?) is available with 250 horsepower for the Legacy GT. Has anyone come across a road test for one of these? They don't seem like they have heavy production numbers either, as my dealer didn't have one, and no one seems to be talking about their new Legacy 3.0R around here. I was just wondering what kind of performance numbers this Legacy would put down versus the impressive figures we are getting from the 2.5 Turbo.

The 3.0R is not a V-6, but a H-6 boxer, like the 4-cyl models. It has the same hp as the 2.5 Turbo, less torque but more linear power delivery. Its performance is certainly more than adequate. It is not available in North America with a manual transmission.

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Just bought the latest issue of Road and Track with the comparo test between the Legacy GT and the Acura. Noticed that an optional 3.0 V-6 (the 3.0R?) is available with 250 horsepower for the Legacy GT. Has anyone come across a road test for one of these? They don't seem like they have heavy production numbers either, as my dealer didn't have one, and no one seems to be talking about their new Legacy 3.0R around here. I was just wondering what kind of performance numbers this Legacy would put down versus the impressive figures we are getting from the 2.5 Turbo.[/quote] Simply put, the 2.5 turbo offers more performance and performance potential than the 3.0H6. The H6 offers more smoothness and linear performance however...

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Just bought the latest issue of Road and Track with the comparo test between the Legacy GT and the Acura. Noticed that an optional 3.0 V-6 (the 3.0R?) is available with 250 horsepower for the Legacy GT. Has anyone come across a road test for one of these? They don't seem like they have heavy production numbers either, as my dealer didn't have one, and no one seems to be talking about their new Legacy 3.0R around here. I was just wondering what kind of performance numbers this Legacy would put down versus the impressive figures we are getting from the 2.5 Turbo.[/quote] The only sedan model that the H6 is used in is the Outback SUS version. Hmm...Here is the rough build rates for each engine (as my company builds Power Steering Hoses to Subaru of Indiana Automotive): 2.5i Sedan = 21% 2.5i Outback = 38% 2.5 GT (sedan) = 20% H6 (Outback and Outback SUS) = 9% Outback XT (2.5 Turbo) = 12% So, last month, SIA built a total of 10,387, so that ROUGHLY equates to the following: 2.5 NA models (total) = 6,128 Turbo Models = 3,323 H6 Models = 936 Rob I think that Subaru should offer the H6 as an upgrade engine for the NA Legacy and Legacy Wagon.

[quote name='RobCatron'][quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Just bought the latest issue of Road and Track with the comparo test between the Legacy GT and the Acura. Noticed that an optional 3.0 V-6 (the 3.0R?) is available with 250 horsepower for the Legacy GT. Has anyone come across a road test for one of these? They don't seem like they have heavy production numbers either, as my dealer didn't have one, and no one seems to be talking about their new Legacy 3.0R around here. I was just wondering what kind of performance numbers this Legacy would put down versus the impressive figures we are getting from the 2.5 Turbo.[/quote] The only sedan model that the H6 is used in is the Outback SUS version. Hmm...Here is the rough build rates for each engine (as my company builds Power Steering Hoses to Subaru of Indiana Automotive): 2.5i Sedan = 21% 2.5i Outback = 38% 2.5 GT (sedan) = 20% H6 (Outback and Outback SUS) = 9% Outback XT (2.5 Turbo) = 12% So, last month, SIA built a total of 10,387, so that ROUGHLY equates to the following: 2.5 NA models (total) = 6,128 Turbo Models = 3,323 H6 Models = 936 Rob I think that Subaru should offer the H6 as an upgrade engine for the NA Legacy and Legacy Wagon.[/quote] Just got the mag out and looked again. It was on page 103--new for 05 manufacturer lists--and it was under the header Legacy/Outback. So now I understand. No 3.0 for the Legacy. I feel stupid now making this post, but hey... Thanks for the production numbers. Very interesting. I agree the Legacy should have the 3.0 option. Any chance you could break down for us (in a new thread) how many LGTs of each color have been produced, and the ratio of 5MTs to Automatics? If not, that's cool, but production numbers are very interesting. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
That's right DEI, we're here to help answer questions. No need to feel stupid. Several markets offer the 3.0R, just not North America at this time, but that's likely to change within the next model year or two. I definitely think it needs to come to the North American market.

[quote name='RobCatron']The only sedan model that the H6 is used in is the Outback SUS version. Hmm...Here is the rough build rates for each engine (as my company builds Power Steering Hoses to Subaru of Indiana Automotive): 2.5i Sedan = 21% 2.5i Outback = 38% 2.5 GT (sedan) = 20% H6 (Outback and Outback SUS) = 9% Outback XT (2.5 Turbo) = 12% So, last month, SIA built a total of 10,387, so that ROUGHLY equates to the following: 2.5 NA models (total) = 6,128 Turbo Models = 3,323 H6 Models = 936 Rob I think that Subaru should offer the H6 as an upgrade engine for the NA Legacy and Legacy Wagon.[/QUOTE] Your percentages add up to 100%. Can one assume you include the 2.5 GT Wagon production figures with the Sedan?

Archived