LegacyGT.com

Progressiveness of stock brakes...

fatbastard

sucks on my car or is there something wrong? I don't notice it much since I am not braking heavy very often but I have noticed that the brakes seem to be progressive to maybe 80%, after that pushing the pedal almost seems to lessen brake force like there is fade. I guess it could be the stock rubber lines but I have never experienced anything like this before even with OEM rubber lines. So I am starting to think it is teh sucky pads since I have seen nothing but complaints. Any ideas on what this could be? I have been searching around for info on pad replacement but it seems most of hte pads recommended are not recommended for use under 30 degrees. Living in Jersey we have about 5 months that I would regularly see temps below that and I don't want to be swapping pads and tires each season. Any recs would be appreciated.

I replaced the stock pads with Hawk HPS pads and was amazed by the change - very linear, solid feel, and the don't leave residue on the disc after a hard stop that makes it feel like the rotors have warped (my main complaint). There is no sign of fade after 6-8 quick stops from 60 mph either. I've seen no problems with them in winter driving, and I put on 1500 miles every year to visit my family for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

That is what I figured......I think I will end up swapping the pads out but just not sure what ones would be best....the car will not be tracked but I do drive pretty hard and I am on highways a lot so braking from high speed without fade would be necessary, just not repeated. Some of the ones I saw recommended here are not recommended for under 30F...I haven't checked the Hawk pads but I'll do that tonight.

Archived