LegacyGT.com

Emissions in NYC - How many cats must we retain?

Two-Five Sti-L

Hi all,

I'm curious to see what exhaust mods has everyone been able to get away with during inspections. I plan to retain at least 1 (mid-pipe oem) cat in order to have a passing chance. Is it sufficient or do I need to retain more oem equipment?

I'm trying to plan ahead in terms of mods and would hate to swap back stock parts annually just to pass emissions.

For those w/exhaust mods pls list what you have for everyone's comparison and benefit, thanks!!

For emissions it won't matter. they use OBDII protocol. No sniffer. There is a visual inspection however. I'd leave one in the midpipe (stock or HFC) since that's the most visible one unless you are comfortable with the inspector.

For emissions it won't matter. they use OBDII protocol. No sniffer. There is a visual inspection however. I'd leave one in the midpipe (stock or HFC) since that's the most visible one unless you are comfortable with the inspector.

I'm aware that all 96+ cars aren't required to go on the dyno anymore, but rather the obdII port. So are you saying that as long as we can disable/bypass the sensors for the missing cat(s) we would pass w/o problems?

You will pass the OBDII scan as long as you have no CELs showing and your ECU is able pass all it's readiness tests.

The visual test is a whole other thing.

Sorry. But this is just not true (entirely). You're right about the visual inspection. It depends on the technician. Most techies in my 'hood don't care or are easily bought on the visual.

The first two years - yes... you will simply have the OBDII port scan and the visual. However, here's where I have issue with your comment. After the first two years, you must pass the smog/sniffer test and have minimal NYS levels of CO and NO just like every other vehicle on the road.

I'm really curious to know if anyone in NYS has hit the 2 year mark and passed with a catless UP or more removed. The easy way around all of this is to retain your stock setup and swap it in/out before/after inspection respectively.

:icon_cool

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

NYS has done away with the sniffer since Jan of 2005....

we're strictly OBD and visual inspection only

the 1st 2 years are only visual/"safety"

and even back before 2005 if he had to do a sniffer it would be bypassed because they only have 2wd dynos- AWD cars skipped it

since my car has no CEL I have passed an OBD inspection and event though I'm catless there was no visual for reasons stated above by sublo.....:cool:

edit: this applies to vehicles 1996 and up

before 1996 they dont do the obd test they still do the dyno/sniffer test....

I'm really curious to know if anyone in NYS has hit the 2 year mark and passed with a catless UP or more removed. The easy way around all of this is to retain your stock setup and swap it in/out before/after inspection respectively.

:icon_cool

There are tons of WRX guys that have past the 2 year mark on their modded cars.

There are tons of WRX guys that have past the 2 year mark on their modded cars.

Our '02 WRX with no cats (Daddysccp fake 3rd cat delete) passed with just the OBDII check.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Archived