LegacyGT.com

Thule Hitching Post Pro bike rack with Subaru factor hitch

I found a lot of opinions but not much hard evidence when I researched trailer hitch racks for my OB so I thought I would share my experience.

First, my disclaimer. I tried a roof-mounted rack and just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of lifting my bike (which is pretty heavy). And there is no way my wife could lift hers. So I decided to go the hitch route.

I went with the factory hitch for its low profile, and indeed it is hardly noticeable when on. For a rack I chose the Thule Hitching Post Pro (2 bike model for the 1.25 inch receiver). I had read a post in another forum complaining about the bad fit between this rack and the factory receiver, and it is true that the Subaru receiver has an odd flange that flares out over and under the receiver itself. This makes access difficult, and according to the poster on the other site makes it impossible to use the Thule lock that can lock the rack to the receiver.

Access is tight, to be sure, and I think the only way to get the rack mounted is to use a socket wrench with a 3/4 inch socket. However, with that it goes on easily and is very secure once you fully tighten the bolt. I am not going to worry about locking the rack to the receiver too much because I really never leave it on the car (with bikes). However, a thief is going to need a socket wrench to get the sucker off!

There is one other locking possibility. There are holes in the top and bottom flange on the receiver, and if I can find a lock that will fit them it would make access to the bolt holding the rack impossible. I'll report back if/when I make that mod.

All in all I am happy with the choice.

Chris Freitag

2006 OB XT Ltd

I need the brother OBXT Black/black wagon hook up on one of these racks!

If you want a really nice rack go with the Thule T2. I work in the bike industry and have used many different racks. This is the best IMO, but a tad pricier. Works on any bike from skinny tire road to burly MTB's.

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916

I've been very happy with my roof-rack (yakima steelhead). However, it did stir up some hurricane-level wind noises from inside the car. :eek:

Considered a hitch mount but wanted to keep it free for towing. Not familiar with Yakima's hitch-mount options. Saris is another reputable outfit worth checking out.

Have used/sold saris as well. If the Thule T2 was a Lexus, the Saris hitch mount would be a Kia. More affordable but not the same quality. T2 has brass bushings on the linkeage to give it a nice "damped" feel when folding & down. Saris is not as well thought out & refined, but good option for the $.

I have a Thule Hitching Post Pro on my Legacy and it works great. I wanted the T2, but the Hitching Post Pro is half the price.

btw: JensonUSA is selling the T2 for$324 this week. :)

Archived