LegacyGT.com

Anti-roll bars, would upgrading help

I'm an '06 2.5i owner, I like the car a lot & think low-speed cornering is fine, but I find in higher-speed cornering (40 mph+) there is more roll in the body than I'd expect.

I'm wondering - would heavier-duty AR bars be the ticket or is this where you have to look to heavier springs in the suspension?

And is cutting down on body roll going to result in a brutal ride? I like the firm feel now, don't want to feel like i'm riding on rocks. AR bars probably reduce the independence of the suspension, and heavier springs are going to transmit more bump, yes?

do the 2.5i guys get the same sway bars as the GT folks? for some reason i recall the 2.5i only have a 15mm, the GT gets a 17mm bar. (i think)

if that is the case - you can pick up a used GT anti-sway bar pretty cheap. Either that or you could go pick up the JDM or another aftermarket bar (cusco / perrin, etc...)

i can only assume that they'd fit the same.

when i upgraded mine, i didnt notice the ride getting any firmer or more harsh, but it greatly helped in the corners.

Forget GT bar. It's crap. I've seen confliciting info here, but RSB in 2.5i apparently is the same as in GT, and if not it's 1mm difference in diameter.

You can get JDM GT RSB from avoturboworld.com for $190 shipped. However I don't know if it's the best match for the smaller (right?) front bar in 2.5i.

Same rear sway on the 2.5i as GT. I pulled a 17mm out of my 2.5i wagon. The front sway is also the same size (although not the same bar) as the GT (21mm I believe).

Swapped to a JDM rear bar, as I just wanted flatter cornering and less understeer, without affecting comfort too much.

My expectations were met, and the car not only corners much better, it feels "right"--the bar is absolutely a better match to the front. The ride is unaffected, but the car turns in much more positively, with no "push".

I definitely recommend this upgrade for all NA drivers, don't forget that a better handling car asks less from the motor for good average speeds.

Because the bar is OEM in all markets outside the US and Canada, it is a perfect fit, and AVOs urethane bushings should maintain more positive bar placement longer than the stock rubber.

P.

A few corrections to above posts: it seems '06 models (all of them) have smaller bars than '05s. Everything above probably still applies, but I guess I can't absolutely guarantee it. Get in touch with Paul at AVO or Sean at Rallitek for expert answers.

P.

I have a '05 LGT wagon and stock bars suck!IMO I got Whiteline F&R adj. bars(bars are set on soft) and the car is great. Much better then before. IT very flat in curves, very stable, and still a smooth ride even with my 19x7.5 w/ 225/35/19. They ran about $160 each.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

The front sway bars that are sold for LGTs wont fit, NALegacy tried it out for us and it didn't work.

Yesterday I installed Tein H-Techs and a Cusco rear sway bar and the car doesn't feel like it used to. I don't understeer as much anymore and there is far less body roll.

Archived