LegacyGT.com

Trading in STi for used LGT Wagon

skyphix

Due to recent health problems (back issues agrivated by 100+ miles per day on rough roads), I'll be trading in my '04 STi. The dealer is extremely good to work with but only so much is in their hands. They are looking for an '05 LGT Manual Trans Wagon (Limited or non, I prefer Limited) new left over first, or used for me.

What should I check for? I read about the studder issue and how to reproduce it. What else? This will be my third Subaru ('98 OBL, '04 STi). We bought the OBL used and the STi new.

Sad day for me losing my STi. Lots of good miles in that car.

Oh, and my name is Eric, and I hope to be a new Legacy owner soon.

at 50,000 miles in Winter trim. Now at 75,xxx miles.

http://non.skyphix.com/2005/Cars/Small/STiJunkyard-1.jpg

Thanks both of you.

Back problems do suck, especially considering my (young) age.

Don't know how much I'd mod the LGT. I had a lot of fun with the STi, having the performance I wanted and being able to use it (although not all of it) just about every day (crazy NY drivers!). I've always had a thing for the LGT Wagons, and think a stick shift turbo'd wagon is just down right cool. This car isn't really my toy, I've got another car to be that.

Hopefully I'll get as lucky with this one as I had with my old one. The dealer has a Spec-B they wanted to get off the lot but I jsut don't want a car payment (I've owned, no loan, my STi since day 1, so I'd rather not take on a payment with this one and don't have the disposable income anymore to buy flat out the LGT).

Thanks again

I'm not sure if there are any new GT LT MT wagons left in the country!!! :eek: I hope for your sake they can find a used one, but a search on Autorader found ALOT of AT's but no MT's. Have you considered, I know this is a stretch, but an Outback XT in MT? I know it's probably not what you want handling wise but a local around me put coilovers on his and it's looks AWESOME!!! Good Luck! :D

EDIT: Here's some pics, his is the black one. Not the best angles but you get the idea...

JDM.thumb.JPG.8d1419af361c4822a05439fde3fc0650.JPG

Group.thumb.JPG.948c30d6c0e35ecd55598e37f0296acc.JPG

BW.thumb.JPG.8a9794d653a35e6c4ddf21090b1ae8f8.JPG

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Im not sure either, its probably going to be a stretch. One of the doctors I see just got a non limited MT GT wagon for 21,000 new about 3 months ago, so I hope I can have the same luck as he did. I talk to the dealer again on Monday to find out if they've seen any go through auctions lately to see if they can track one down for a trade for me.

Absolutely! Would consider an XT 5 speed. That actually would probably make MORE sense for me, since we do a lot of traveling even farther north (Im north of Albany, NY) in the winter, and have started Kayaking (lake, not river) more seriously this year.

Im really trying for the LGT because I've got some really nice winter tires in 225/45/17 with at least one more season on them. Silly reason, but I certainly wont pass up an Outback XT because of that. In fact, the dealership I am working through had one until about 2 weeks ago that they couldn't give away, that he would've gladly sold to me for in my price range. Ah well, such is life.

Hey, I'm not familiar with the NY Area but want to refer you to a Doctor who may be able to help you be able to drive whatever you want and have a wonderful Low Back at the same time!!!! (Reasonably :)))

Go to nucca.com and use the locate a doctor tab for the NY area.

Speaking from experience. LB surgery 2 1/2 years ago.

I can now ski as hard as I want, rode my road bike 100 miles in one day 2 weeks ago (very hard on a low back), etc. No heavy lifting though!!!

P.S. had my '06 GT wagon (AT) 1 week now!!! What an upgrade from my '92 Legacy Sport!!!!

Send me an email if you want specifics on what I went through with my low back and why. You might be able to save your STi!!!! Hopefully I can help.

Thank you for your suggestions, Doc! I do appreciate it.

The thing is, the bone problems I had are under control, but because of the length of time I let them go (6 years or more in a serious state) I have nerve damage in my back. I have quite a few great doctors check it out, and they've all pretty much said that the bulging that is currently there isn't bad enough to warrant surgery. I wish it were that.

For instance, I can still lift weights, but impacts (such as biking - which I love to do - is out of the question). I am going to email to find out what you DID do to bring it to my doctor to see what he says. Thanks :)

Of course, in the mean time millions of reasons have come up for me to not keep the STi, so Im not sure that even if I didnt have the back problem, I wouldn't end up switching to an LGT/OBXT. The whole life hitting me and not being 19 anymore (house, soon to be wife, two dogs, out door activities, and maintenance on the STi getting more expensive with mileage) sort of has made me step back and look at the situation. As much as I love my STi, and love to think that kids enjoy riding it in, the truth is, they get sick of it after 15 minutes, my dogs don't fit in it, and I can't exactly throw my luggage in the back, kayaks on the roof, and still have room for two of us and my two fairly large dogs in it either. I think its time.

Here's drewster's thread on his lowered OB XT MT:

http://legacygt.com/forums/wheels-tires/14232-im-one-cool-kids.html

Pretty sweet stance. :D They do run a bit higher though (about $31.8k w/no options) but if that's what it takes to get the MT, then go for it!!! :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

That is a VERY cool OBXT. I'd still look for a used/left over as my budget is 8-10k lower than that, but I've already been given the "we'd be able to get a left over/used OBXT in that range too", so I think its a feasable option.

Not sure I'd run coilovers... they're a bit pricey for me, but the stock height is cool too :D

Not to hijack your thread or anything....

I hear what you're saying. Just upped to a Wagon myself for very similar reasons. Loved the STi power, just not the package it came in.

What if you could have your back be back??? I've been through what you're going through and it was totally preventable!!!! I've been through a severe accident, spinal fracture, disc bulging, herniation, disc extrusion and surgery. What I'm saying is that surgery wasn't the answer to being able to ride, ski and live my life again. I think you missed the point because I inferred that surgery was my fix. Sorry to mislead.

Check out Davis County Spinal Care

Hopefully I can help with a referral for another opinion. Sounds like you've had many opinions. What if there is another solution??? Good luck

Looks like it will be an '06 Outback XT Limited 5MT. I am really pushing for the Brilliant Silver Metallic / Granite Gray Opal car, but it all depends on where they can trade from. Im just happy I found one, and for the deal I got off of it. :cool:

I feel your pain ,,almost,,,I had to get rid of my heavily modded 04 STi because of ongoing left knee probs,ie. no more stick fr me:(

So I have a 5eat GT wagon which I'm very happy with,,especially luxury,conveniance, etc wise .

With mods to the Legacy you'l be a happy camper:)

Before and now pics:icon_wink

138_3871.jpg.3f89c54f00c2b807c484ddda0d8bb9d2.jpg

30007529_IMG_218120(Medium).jpg.00b9bb6e1facc767c74fd16d0e3d421e.jpg

I keep running across your Wagon and absolutely LOVE it. It is your wagon that made me want to go white/gold if I managed to get an LGT wagon. "Unfortunately" I got the Outback, but after sitting in one at the dealership I think it will be even better. After driving fastfreddy's 05 LGT Limited 5MT I knew that the blow would be softened. Driving that car "felt" a lot like driving my STi... with a much softer suspension.

BTW, Black and Gold '04's are the absolute best of the STi's

http://non.skyphix.com/2006/Cars/STi-071606/STi-pass-rear-after.jpg

That was my final cleaning as of yesterday :cool:

Its a lot more fun to drive than I expected it to be. Corners are a little bit different than I'm used to, but I can deal with that.

Once I get a few miles on 'er then I'll start looking a bit more seriously for what I want to do with it ;)

Thanks everyone :)

That is certainly Capitaland motors. Fred, the parts manager, is a good friend of mine (also an LGT owner, goes by Fastfreddy on here). George is who I bought my car from.

II think they still have that '06 Spec-B (number 444 IIRC), or did you order an '07?

Archived