LegacyGT.com

Considering Legacy sedan...few questions?

RND1

I currently drive a '99 540i 6 speed for my 75 mile daily commute of which 90% is highway. It's a great car, very solid build and gets 23 mpg which is not bad for the performance 282 HP/324 FTLBs. But I've just turned 100K and maintenance is starting to get real expensive. I like the new Legacy sedans and I have a few questions:

1. The back seat seems like it's smaller than my 5 - can I fit two car seats back there with one facing back without having both front seats too far forward?

2. If I went N/A vs turbo, what kind of gas mileage should I expect?

3. Is the N/A 2.5 a dog or good enough for highway commuting?

4. I hate to say it, but it seems every time one of the Japanese manufacturers moves production to the states, quality goes down. Is this evident in the new Legacy's or are they too new to know?

Thanks for all your help.

I currently drive a '99 540i 6 speed for my 75 mile daily commute of which 90% is highway. It's a great car, very solid build and gets 23 mpg which is not bad for the performance 282 HP/324 FTLBs. But I've just turned 100K and maintenance is starting to get real expensive. I like the new Legacy sedans and I have a few questions:

1. The back seat seems like it's smaller than my 5 - can I fit two car seats back there with one facing back without having both front seats too far forward?

4. I hate to say it, but it seems every time one of the Japanese manufacturers moves production to the states, quality goes down. Is this evident in the new Legacy's or are they too new to know?

1. What kind of car seats are you gonna put to the back seat? Child seats?

2. same, depends on the way you drive

3. It's good enough for highway commuting

4. not that i know of

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I know that if I were to take my daughters rear facing car seat .. it for sure wouldn't work behind my drivers seat and I am like 5'10" (It is setup in the middle right now) .. so I'd say no .... I have a graco seat ...

2. same, depends on the way you drive

I disagree. The EPA rates the LGT at 20/26 and the 2.5i at 23/30. I average 26-27 MPG on my LGT with ~80% highway driving on a 20 miles commute. I bet 2.5i with 90% highway for 75 miles could get over 30 MPG.

The 2.5i has 175 hp & 169 ft-lbs, it's not a dog but coming over from the 540i will be a big change for you. The only way to tell is to test drive one and see how it feels. Personally I think you would be happier with the LGT...

i went from an '02 LGT with the n/a 2.5, while i have not driven the most recent version, it was able to get out of it's own way (better w/ the ac off - it is a 4 banger). the updates for the 2.5i include better torque curve so i would imagine this helps somewhat. i would return 20-23 mpg in the old Leg and I do 22-25 mpg in the lgt w/ turbo (mostly hi-way miles). both of my lgt's were built in IA, and both gave me trouble free smiles for miles. good luck with your purchase, regardless!

I have an '05 NA, do 75% hi-way, 30% local. With a 70 mile RT commute. I average 27 MPG. Doing just hi-way I can get into the low 30's. BTW, this is the 4 SP auto (I know, the 5 speed would have been better but, I'm the only one who can drive a manual in the "family").

While not nearly as fast as my "cousins" on this site, getting onto the hiway has not been a problem.

The auto does have the "Sportmatic" (or whatever) which is helpful accelerating (keeps the revs higher before shifting) but not very useful for engine breaking - interesting, Audi just introduced a revision which, revs the engine up before engaging an manual downshift in their "Sportmatic". Sounds like it makes manual downshifitng realistic.

A Legacy offers you traditional Japanese "value" compared to the BMW. The cabin is not up to BMW standards but purchase price and reliability can offset that. It's where you place th "value". I notice MA on your location, should I mention AWD?

Take a test drive, that's all it takes for most Subaru sales.

I disagree. The EPA rates the LGT at 20/26 and the 2.5i at 23/30. I average 26-27 MPG on my LGT with ~80% highway driving on a 20 miles commute. I bet 2.5i with 90% highway for 75 miles could get over 30 MPG.

The 2.5i has 175 hp & 169 ft-lbs, it's not a dog but coming over from the 540i will be a big change for you. The only way to tell is to test drive one and see how it feels. Personally I think you would be happier with the LGT...

26-27mpg... very impressive, I need to see yet anything above 22mpg. But I am lead footer.

Thanks for all of your collective feedback! As someone pointed out, I do live in MA so having AWD would be nice. My kids are almost 4 and 1 so the 1 yr old is still facing backwards while my 4 yr old is in a high back car seat. It's pretty cozy back there in my 5, but it works. I'll have to visit the dealer with car seats in tow to see how they would fit.

As for the gas mileage, I'm getting 23mpg at 80mph (6th gear ratio is only 2.82) which seems to be the standard left lane cruising speed on I-495. It doesn't sound like I will see much mpg improvement with the GT. But it would be closer to my 540i in terms of performance. Hmmm...

Is the GT powerplant the same as the WRX? If so, does having the turbo powerplant add considerably to maintenance? Do turbos need replacement before 100K? I'd like to get a turbo, but I don't have the time to DIY anymore. Glad to hear that Subie quality is still excellent.

Coming from a 540i you would def not be happy with the 2.5i.....Go test drive them. Drive the N/A first then the LGT.

It has been debated here before but you would have no problems with the rear facing seat in the center position.

Here it comes..............

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

...Is the GT powerplant the same as the WRX? ....

i believe the wrx is still using the 2.0L variant, however, the the rex/sti uses a variant of the 2.5L. That being said, you will find an enormous # of peeps here on the boards that have taken that engine to the next level...leaving some sti's in the dust:icon_wink

ps- as i currently only have ~15K on my 6 mo old, i cannot speak to blown turbos. I just give it an appropriate cool down/ re-oil time after a bit of romping to extend the life of the turbo as much as possible:)

Ah, you started asking about NA have now switched to a turbo / GT so, look at their responses for MPG results. My MPG results are non-turbo.

Kid seats will fit fine, Subaru goes to great lengths to describe their "safe" anchor system for them.

One other thing, a BMW 5 series is quite a bit larger than a Legacy (wagon or sedan the same for leg / shoulder room). I've only been in the front of a BMW so not sure the extra size does scale to rear leg room.

But, I do recall when my kids were in the ages you describe and, for a few years (with or without a child seat), their legs are not yet long enough to "bend" at the knee when on the seat - they strick straight out so, for a while they need more leg room than an adult.

But, I do recall when my kids were in the ages you describe and, for a few years (with or without a child seat), their legs are not yet long enough to "bend" at the knee when on the seat - they strick straight out so, for a while they need more leg room than an adult.

Very good point. My 4 yo can't bend at the knee yet so he struggles a bit in the 5. The 5 does look like a larger car than the Legacy, but sometime looks can be deceiving, especially with interior room. I'll take a look at the dealer w/ the car seats and kids in tow.

Can't help you with the car seats.

But, I have had both the Japanese made Impreza N/A and US made Legacy GT LTD turbo 2.5 engines and I can say that the NA is a dog. It is slow to start 0-60, peaks out around 75 and struggles between 75 and 100 mph.

The gas milage in the na with a lead foot is between 14-20. Driving conservatively 22-30 is accurate.

The turbo model is getting 14-24 mpg. I have average around 16.5 around town and 20 on the highway. So it is a gas guzzler. However, if you leave the car on cruise control at 60 mph and 2K rpm, you will get around 25 mpg.

Quality control in the US plant is definitely lower than the japanese plant.

However, this is mainly for cosmetic and trim items. For instance, most of use have trunk lids that are no centered properly.

The saving grace is that the drive train and engines are still wholly manufactured in japan, therefore they should still be reliable.

My NA Impreza never gave me a day of trouble and I drove it without mercy for 4 years and 80K miles in stop and go NYC traffic.

Legacy has 4500 miles now, and everything seems to be fine.

- can't answer that for another few months sorry

- I drive an NA 23 miles everyday 80% highway at 80mph I get ~26-27 mph w/o traffic. Lately I have had terrible stop go construction and have been getting 25mpg

Yes it is a pooch...speaking of an 05. The 06 is much peppier and do not take anyones feedback on an 05 if your looking at 06. The highway speed is acceptable and performs at its best there to be honest. I would disagree w/the top out at 75 because I hover around 85 on accident pretty often...the biggest issue is the 30-60mph getting on an entrance ramp. I am sure it is a pooch compared to a 5 series...I am getting a Turbo next if gas prices stay below $3.50

-These cars have been made in the U.S. for a long time. Not owning a Japenese made one I am very happy with the build. I grew up in the town they make these cars and the have a top notch facility and a team that takes a lot of pride in their work. I think a general term of yes its made w/o the same quality is a pretty lame response and unjustified when every major media magazine as well as this board is full of people that tout the build quality, reliablity, and happiness. Better than any german car that's for sure.

Yes, altough the rear facing one will limit somwhat the leg room for the seat you put it behind. Depends on the child seat. Monsters like Britax Marathon will take a lot of space. Britax Roundabout will fit fine.

Yes it is a pooch...speaking of an 05. The 06 is much peppier and do not take anyones feedback on an 05 if your looking at 06.

Does the extra 12 hp and 3 ft-lbs of torque make such a big difference?

I could tell a difference...I drive an 05 sedan everyday and I had an 06 Outback for a rental I drove from Cincy to Columbus over 2 days and the 0-30 mph power band it was noticable...as well as throttle response at expressway speeds in a car that is quite a bit heavier being a OB wagon. It was to the point when I filled it up outside the airport I popped the hood to make sure it wasn't a 3.0. Knowing full well it couldn't be because it would be a much bigger throttle response...or I would be disappointed in the 3.0

1. I usually fit a SET of tires back in my back seat during the weekends.. Im 5'-8" with a 30" inseam.. so I sit fairly upright and probably a little closer than most, but there's plenty of room for a lot more stuff back there. The car is also big enough and comfortable enough that my race buddies never had a problem making me and my GT the "transporter taxi" from the track to the hotel.. it's roomy and it shouldnt be a problem for your kids.. heck I have to tote around 4 other 200 lbs "babies" that whine more about getting to the hotel for the booze and sleep than your 1 and 4 year old would complain in 20 minute drive :lol:.

2. Coming from a 540, dont even bother with the 2.5i.. you'll be much happier with the turbo.. besides, you can cruise off-boost and just feather the throttle lightly to save gas.. it's when that turbo starts kicking in when you start laying on the throttle heavy that eats up the fuel.. I get about 22 mpg on average.. most I ever got was 27 mpg on long trips, and well, on the track, I get as low as 6 mpg.. just be easy on the throttle, if you really HAVE to pass, make it quick and downshift. Mostly likely, you'll end up kicking yourself for not buying the turbo. Maintenance is very low for both cars and very cheap too. Something I didnt see anyone mention is that the GT comes with bigger brakes, something that may help you if are carrying extra weight in the car. I do suggest of getting better tires once you get the Legacy, I still have a gripe about Subaru skimping out on the tires for EVERY car they sell. It's a horrible choice for a stock tire. So if anything, get better stickier all-season tires, it will aid in handling, braking, and also better load capacity and a smoother ride (if you decide to oversize the tire a little bit).

3. See my answer for 2.. but if you really just want a commuter car and dont need the power AT ALL, the 2.5i is fine around town, just drive conservatively.. it's not a dog if you dont treat it like one.

4. Sadly, yes, the build tolerances and the few quality control could have done better at the Indiana plant.. you'll notice quite a few things.. 99% are easy fixes that the dealer can do pretty much on the spot, but it's still annoying nevertheless.. overall, the finish of the GT is a 8.5/10.. it could definitely be better, but for the price you pay, it's not a Lexus, so I'll let it slide on by.

Keefe

Archived