LegacyGT.com

Some rust on shocks...

So I got a set of JDM GT Bilsteins take-offs. These are Rev. C, fairly new (last year car) but the shocks got some rust as the car lived thru the winter in Hokkaido. See the pics. Should I bother with fixing the rusty spots? If so, what you suggest? Some sandpaper, primer, and paint? What kind of paint I should use? Of course I would like to keep them yellow....

BTW, kinda surprising a less then a year old parts would look like that, I guess. Btw, the front struts are pristine, look new actually (not pictured).

Thanks for any suggestions.

IMGA0879.JPG.a7f6c1bb764d25b5b20852eef82a0afd.JPG

IMGA0882.JPG.d5dd444b4620a125ad7febdeb345b5c1.JPG

IMGA0883.JPG.880a4e5f5d47b79c6456410954e4ecfe.JPG

I remember helping a friend with a project IROC back in HS and he used some paint/chemical from pepboys that reacted with the rust and neutralized it and stopped further rusting. I can’t remember the name but in sure they still make it.

I've tried that stuff that neutralizes rust; it doesn't work very well in my experience... Could have just been the kind I bought, but after another WNY winter, the rust was right back.

If you're concerned about it, it wouldn't hurt to sand and repaint it --but in time it'll be back anyway... Besides, how often do you look under the back of the car? The lower mounting point isn't all that visible

I've tried that stuff that neutralizes rust; it doesn't work very well in my experience... Could have just been the kind I bought, but after another WNY winter, the rust was right back.

That is my experience as well..... doesn't work / not durable.

remove rust, then paint over it and it will stay away

only if you treat it with an epoxy primer or rust-proofing first though.

I used to have some 3M stuff that would convert rust to a black finish...it worked very well, but no longer on the market.

remove rust, then paint over it and it will stay away

Not always true..... If the metal is soured... you can't remove all the rust without sandblasting or cutting out the metal and replacing it....

I had a Grand Am that was a perfect example of this.... I would sand off all the rust... spot blast the areas... Prime, paint, and clear them. A year and 1/2 later.. the paint would be bubbling back off.

Rust is nasty.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I remember helping a friend with a project IROC back in HS and he used some paint/chemical from pepboys that reacted with the rust and neutralized it and stopped further rusting. I can’t remember the name but in sure they still make it.

POR17

Archived