LegacyGT.com

Hot Key And Steering Column

I am wondering if anyone else has noticed if your key is really warm (sometimes hot to the touch) when you remove it from the ignition after driving for a while? Also, I am getting a lot of heat from under the steering column, right around the area where the tilt lever is. Has anyone else had this problem?

Guest *Jedimaster*
The flux capacitor has nothing to do with it. That's behind the front seats, duh! And the immobilizer chip doesn't get hot- it's not like some incredibly technological piece of equipment. Notice the key doesn't have a battery?

[quote name='silversuby04']key gets hot from the immobilizer chip inside the key, happens to all cars, not to worry[/quote] i would have to strongly disagree with this. the chip doesnt actualy do anything. its not powered. there is no reason for it to get hot. there is no power going through it. im not sure why the key gets hot. does the cylnder get hot as well?

[quote name='silversuby04']key gets hot from the immobilizer chip inside the key, happens to all cars, not to worry[/quote] I second that. Did some searching on google and some '03 Honda CRV owners were complaining about the same thing. Someone replied with: "It's normal. There's a service news on this. When you incorporate the immobilizer system theres a lot of electricity flowing through the switch and cylinder."

• 10 months later...

Archived