LegacyGT.com

ABS Saved my Bacon !!!

I do remember a thread a while back of people complaining about Subaru’s ABS system. Well just recently I was driving one of my favorite exits (a little fast)……but I had it all down when a city truck decided to do an illegal U-turn, and then cut across three lanes of traffic with out looking. Now I pride my self on being one of those drivers that don’t panic…I always leave my self a way out. But let me tell ya…this time I panicked. I thought my new subie was toast. But the ABS came on and the slight screeching noise made the driver of the truck cut the wheel allowing me to maneuver the car just between the truck and the curb. I had maybe about an inch or two amount of error space…..I still don’t know how my mirror made it though.

But all in all… the car performed flawlessly in a panic situation. Well that’s just my two cents……:icon_bigg

What do we not like about the ABS? I'm new to the legacy and haven't lit up the ABS yet so maybe I will find out soon enough. In my wife's 05 RS though I think it's fantastic. My last 2 cars (Sentra SE-R, Grand Vitara) the ABS would run for a cycle you had to wait through. Basically when it came on it was going to stay on for about 5 seconds during which you'd loose A LOT of braking force. In the RS it'll pulse on and off which is a 100x better.

On those earlier cars it was actually a liability to have ABS, put me into a few intersections in slippery conditions with my handbrake saving my ass...

No complaints on ABS here!! I was doing some spirted driveing with an STI Driven by a female and she decided to cut me off, and at the last second cut down basically an alley. Well a split second later i realize she did that because straight ahead were 4 plastic poles sticking out of the road with cars on the other side. So at about 80mph i cut the wheel slam on the brake pedal, and down shift with our "manumatic" mode to 3rd gear. I Stopped and seriously made no contact but could not put my driver's license in between the poll and my bumper....

I am happy with it

I've noticed when the ABS comes on in the snow it doesn't help the car stop that much and if you pump the brakes it will stop better. I read a thread here where someone said pumping the brakes is dumb, but i tested this on the same icey road and it stops way better if i start pumping them after the ABS engages...if i just keep them down the car just slides. I don't know why i'm not very knowledgeable about why that happens, but it is my experience.

The car doesn't slide, just keeps rolling along.

ABS is great in most circumstances. There are situation where no ABS is better. One situation is when you lost all control of the car like spinning and sliding off the road. Locking all 4 wheels results in the car sliding in one direction only. With ABS, you have no clue where you are going to end up.

My dad and I were driving home today and an '05 Forrester accelerated quickly and nearly rear ended a braking Focus. Collision was imminent, but the brakes on the Forrester are apparently pretty good (would you expect anything less?). Prolly about 2 inches between their bumpers. Phew. I laughed and said "see dad, these really are the safest cars."

Glad you made it out ok.

I don't think the ABS on this car isn't very good. It's still plagued with the same problems WRX owners have had. It's way to touchy to step in. It isn't so bad when you get better tires on it, but the WRX STi seems to have a much better ABS system.

My dad and I were driving home today and an '05 Forrester accelerated quickly and nearly rear ended a braking Focus. Collision was imminent, but the brakes on the Forrester are apparently pretty good (would you expect anything less?). Prolly about 2 inches between their bumpers. Phew. I laughed and said "see dad, these really are the safest cars."

The Forester stops quicker than an LGT, Stupid EH! Heavier car,taller yet it can out brake an LGT!:icon_mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Subaru says: "Airbags save lives. AWD saves airbags." :p

As for ABS vs. snow (not ice), I've heard it said that in snow, it's better for the tires to lock since it causes them to plow snow, building up resistance and stopping faster. The ABS prevents the plowing action, thus slowing down braking. FWIW, this is just what I've read over at the WRX forums, but hey, I guess it could be true...

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Subaru says: "Airbags save lives. AWD saves airbags." :p

As for ABS vs. snow (not ice), I've heard it said that in snow, it's better for the tires to lock since it causes them to plow snow, building up resistance and stopping faster. The ABS prevents the plowing action, thus slowing down braking. FWIW, this is just what I've read over at the WRX forums, but hey, I guess it could be true...

I don't know that......when I was in my truck driving in the snow a weee bit to fast down hill...ABS aloud me to make a right rather than going staight though the intersection....

*shrug* like I said, it's what I've heard. :) However, yes, the whole purpose of the ABS is so you can continue to steer your car when stopping. If tires lockup, you lose any steering control. So yes, I can see how it would help you turn.

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Saved my butt a couple of times. Most recently coming over a very small rise, there's a car stopped in the middle of the road. Slammed on the brakes, ABS did it's thing, only a small lock-up/screech. Came about 3 feet from their driver-side door.

If the ABS hadn't been on, I'd have slid right into the side of that car, and probably f'd up myself and the other driver pretty badly.

I'm pretty happy, but I did order the stainless lines the next day! (More of a response to the sh!tty Florida drivers than the brakes!)

Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

Was the surface dry? ABS does not shorten stoping distance on dry surface, just allows you to control the car while braking... On wet yeah, it helps, and it saved me once (in one of previous cars).

Archived