LegacyGT.com

People with the 2.5i 4EAT

People with the 2.5i 4EAT when you first drive you car in the morning and the car isnt warm. Does your car stay in 4th gear without switching to overdrive? Then after the car is warmed up it will switch into overdrive? Also I've heard that there is a temp sensor in the transmission when the temp is below a certain degree it wont let the transmission shift into overdrive. Is that true?

4EAT = 4-speed Electronic Automatic Transmission.

You have 4 gears. Not 4 gears + OD, 4 gears. Top gear (4th, because you have only 4) is an overdriven (engine turning slower than driveshaft) (actually .694:1) ratio.

P.

4EAT = 4-speed Electronic Automatic Transmission.

You have 4 gears. Not 4 gears + OD, 4 gears. Top gear (4th, because you have only 4) is an overdriven (engine turning slower than driveshaft) (actually .694:1) ratio.

P.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is an overdrive.

Heres the link: Subaru-Legacy.com | Subaru Legacy Pictures, Reviews, Prices :icon_bigg

optional 4 speed in the 2.5i because they come in stick and you have to pay the extra 1000 for 4 speed auto with overdrive

another link: 2005 Subaru Legacy Photos | Car.com

the 4th gear is the overdrive

overdrive=any gear ratio less than 1. ie. .694 You only have 4 gears. Period.

Paul G is correct.

you have to pay the extra 1000 becuase automatic transmissions are more expensive than manual transmissions.

the 4th gear is the overdrive

overdrive=any gear ratio less than 1. ie. .694 You only have 4 gears. Period.

Paul G is correct.

you have to pay the extra 1000 becuase automatic transmissions are more expensive than manual transmissions.

When I use the auto shift 1 through 4 and I watch the rpms When I am in 4th it is at like 3300rpm and then the rpm gauge then switches and rpm goes down to about 2300rpm. And the indicatior shows that its in 4th while all this is happening. How do you explain that?

Perhaps this is simply the torque converter locking up. Until this point you have a fluid coupling to the wheels, so the engine needs to run faster than the final drive ratio would imply, but when it locks up the engine can slow down to match the speed of the car.

Does that make sense?

Maybe its the continously variable thing. On acceleration it continously variable between 90/10 and 50/50. Punch it and it goes to 50/50 then as you get closer and closer to cruising it switches eventually to 90/10 and locks the converter.

Just a guess... :hide:

Yup, it's perfectly normal in any automatic to have "in between" gears.

I've seen it in my dad and sister's Grand Cherokees, and my dad's Sport Trac. The engine will somtimes speed up, while not actually changing gears. For example, going up hill in 4th it will raise RPMs slightly, but not the extent that changing to 3rd would have.

It's somewhat difficult to explain, but it sounds like what you're talking about, and I'm fairly certain it does have to do with the torque converter locking up, like JohnnyBoyShoots says.

Sorry I can't say for sure, but I would guess it's like you, um, guessed.

Until the transmission has warmed up to proper operating temperatures it won't lock the torque converter.

this is correct!! the temp sensor makes sure the proper fluid viscocity has been reached before applying fluid preasure to the torque converter lock up clutch. the clutch only locks while crusing, not during accel.

That drop in rpm is the torque converter locking up. They used to document this in the owner's manuals. With modern emission requirements, cars tend to not want to shift when the engine is cold inorder to get the engine up to operating temperature as fast as possible by holding a gear longer.

I used my sports shift today and when I went into 3rd gear and stayed in 3rd it did the same thing as if it were in 4th gear. The rpm was at like 3300 and it then acted as if it went into overdrive and rpms when down to 2000. is this normal? I thought it should only do it in 4th gear.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is an overdrive.

Heres the link: Subaru-Legacy.com | Subaru Legacy Pictures, Reviews, Prices :icon_bigg

optional 4 speed in the 2.5i because they come in stick and you have to pay the extra 1000 for 4 speed auto with overdrive

another link: 2005 Subaru Legacy Photos | Car.com

I read your links....whow!!! It sure burst my bubble.....I didn't know that my 5MT was actually a 6 speed.......well??? It does say 5 speed with overdrive??? :lol:

If you want to think of it that way....the 4EAT is a 3 speed "Plus" overdrive and the 5EAT is a 4 speed "Plus" overdrive and my 5MT is a 4 speed "Plus" overdrive.

Gosh....... I thought you were onto something and figured Subaru actually gave me a 6 speed and I just couldn't figure it out.:confused:

I read your links....whow!!! It sure burst my bubble.....I didn't know that my 5MT was actually a 6 speed.......well??? It does say 5 speed with overdrive??? :lol:

If you want to think of it that way....the 4EAT is a 3 speed "Plus" overdrive and the 5EAT is a 4 speed "Plus" overdrive and my 5MT is a 4 speed "Plus" overdrive.

Gosh....... I thought you were onto something and figured Subaru actually gave me a 6 speed and I just couldn't figure it out.:confused:

:)

Not to break stones but "overdrive" in this usage just means the input shaft is turning slower than the output shaft. The 5MT Legacy has an overdrive 5th gear. The 5MT Legacy GT has TWO overdriven gears (4th and 5th)

In order for normal automatic transmissions to work, you need a fluid coupling to eliminate the need for a clutch, so the car can idle at stoplights and shift without big bangs. This is called a "torque converter".

When you step on the gas in any gear, the converter allows the engine to speed up by slipping slightly. Your car speeds up. You ease off the gas as you approach your target speed, the converter slips less.

Most cars have a "locking" feature which locks up the converter to allow better economy. This works in all gears as long as it doesn't sense too much torque.

Most cars will not lock up the torque converter until the car warms up.

None of this applies to "Sequential Shift" transmissions which are really gearboxes with one or two automatic clutches. Subaru doesn't use this style of transmission.

P.

RTFM? Dude, he's totally busting your balls. Do you understand anything we're saying? The torque conver will lock up in every gear if you give it a chance. That doesn't mean you have 8 gears though! You have 4... period!

I dont even know what RTFM means. I was just using it because of the pictures. Can anybody explain to me why for the first 20 minutes of driving when the car goes into 4th gear then when the rpm drops as I described earlier. Why the car has a noticeable jerk to it as the rpm drops while still in 4th? After the car has been drivin for about 20 minutes it shifts fine when in 4th and rpms drop

I was thinking maybe the temp sensor thing is messed up and the rpm shouldnt drop in 4th until the car is normal running temp.:iam:

I have a 4EAT and I get some harder shifts when it's cold, but only for 5 minutes or so early in the morning. I commute on the highway every morning and I haven't experiencing any jerkiness like you mention when it settles into cruising speeds. Like people have said some is apparent at certain times under certain conditions due the torque converter but yours sounds like something more is going on as mine has never done that to me.

Archived