LegacyGT.com

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A for $95/ea

tytek

Tirerack has them for $95 per tire vs. $169! (225/45/17)

Seems like a good deal, too bad the spring promo of $100 off had expired... nonetheless, I am getting a set!

who is with me? :icon_wink:icon_bigg

While I was researching tires, I saw RE050 were getting good reviews, except they transfrom the car into a jet noise wise. That's why I passed them.

Debating these or the Goodyear.

These. Don't have experience with them, but almost every review says these are LOUD.

Now as far as Goodyears F1 noise is conceren I need to update my original thread... :lol:

These. Don't have experience with them, but almost every review says these are LOUD.

Now as far as Goodyears F1 noise is conceren I need to update my original thread... :lol:

I don't see any objections to the noise of these tires - in fact several reviews call them quiet. Tire rack and C & D testing does not call out the noise, either.

I am having a set of these put on my new Saabaru wheels tomorrow. I'll comment on them after they are on the car.

I just got mine (225/45/17) mounted on my Saabaru BBS RK wheels (17x7), and I am pretty happy although I've got only 30 mi on them =)

The tire seems to me a touch louder than the RE-92, which is a relatively quiet tire, but there are so many improvements over the stock rubber. There is now no on-center vagueness at any speed. The ride is very smooth and not as squirmy as my Avon Tech M 500's were when brand new (on my 98 A4, 225/45/17 on a 17x7.5 rim). My installer put 35 psi all around in my tires, lower than I prefer but he's a pretty opinionated guy and knows what he's talking about so I thought I'd run with that for a while and see if I want to increase the pressure. I usually run my RE92's at about 39/37 f/r, necessary to obtain even a modicum of turn-in, but the 050A's feel very responsive.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in the rain.

One final note, the tires are asymmetric, but non-directional, meaning that they must be mounted in only one direction on the wheel, but the tires can be rotated side to side on the car. I bought a fifth wheel/tire combination since both are closeouts, so I will rotate in the fifth and hope I don't damage any of them.

Are the sidewalls stiffer on the re050a's compared with the stock tires?

Yes, of course, since you are comparing a high performance summer to a non-performance all-season.

The stiffness significantly improves steering feel and cornering speeds - it is pretty much a night and day difference in feel. Precision is also far better. You feel much better connected to the road. Wet performance is significantly better too, because of the softer compound.

Remember that you will get fewer miles on these tires - 25 k or so, maybe 30, but you will be happy the whole time.

It is a far better car to drive with the 050A's compared to the crap RE92.

Archived