LegacyGT.com

"crunchy" door armrest

Hey folks, had my legacy 3 days when, getting in, leaned on the driver's door armrest to lever myself into the bucket seat. The armrest went "crunch" and buckled. Hm, wondering, is this just cheesy interior or is this a faulty piece of interior trim?

So whaddaya think, should I be able to put some weight on my armrest or should we have to be careful about where we lean on modern autos?

BTW I'm not so heavy, about 190 lbs.

I'm afraid of things like that in modern cars, but so far the doors seem pretty solid. My gimpy friend pulled himself in and out by that (while I pondered whether it was a good idea). He had foot surgery so I couldn't really get out easily, he had to slide across the whole back seat. He also leaned back against the door, he basically sat sideways to keep his foot elevated.

While I haven't had it happen on door armrests yet, it's extremely common to find crushed center console lids on any kind of car from this very cause.

It's not just a matter of weight but the concentration thereof that's causing the problem. It's like when a 100lb person wears high heels, they can puncture flooring due to the concentrated force or psi.

Archived