LegacyGT.com

Review Falken Ziex ZE512

Limeydriver

I changed out the RE92A stock 225/55/17 tires on my Outback earlier this week for the Falken Ziex ZE512 and all I can say is wow!!. It is fairly rare for me to change tire brands and feel such a difference. Here are the salient points:- - Definitely a stiffer sidewall giving slightly firmer ride - Much better turn in and steering response - Improvement in steering feel - Progressive on the limit - No nasty surprises - Great in the wet - Jury is out on the snow will have to wait a couple of months - Quieter - No squealing - Braking much more controlled - Outstanding value The overall feeling is that the car is now riding on tires not a set of balloons. This feeling is probably more profound on the Outback with the 225 profile tires. It has about 1.1"more sidewall and 2' more diameter than the Legacy. These tires really allow you to drive much more confidently. I would recommend them for any Outback owner who is looking for a more sporty feel to their Subaru. I paid $109 per tire at Discount Tire and they are lighter than the stock tires.

I think the Falken's or Toyo's are a horse apiece. Both appear to be rather good. Jury is still out on snow for the Toyo's. Supposed to be a little better on the Falken's, and performance itself a hair better on Falkens. It's a trade-off, but for your normal driver, probably mostly a grey area.

I've already got my Falkens Ze512's ordered for my Legacy GT sedan, and I haven't even gotten the car yet. They've gotten such great reviews they're hard to beat. And the fact they are 3 pounds lighter EACH tire than the stock RE92's make them more desirable. The 215/45/17's are only 20 pounds each. I don't know of another comparable tire that is lighter. So just the reduction of rotational mass alone is going to increase performance, braking, handling, and gas mileage. The fact the Falken's are rated so high in just about every area too...made them a no brainer for me!

Archived