LegacyGT.com

Up pipes and Down pipes

Pman2g

I was just wondering if installation of an up pipe and down pipe increase the sound of the car alot or at all with stock exhaust? Another question, is there a major difference in sound or performance between catted or un catted up and dp's?

Those are good questions. I'm curious about that too. I don't think it would stop me though, as long as it didn't sound like a fart can car.

I know that a girl on here (trdvibe is her member name) gutted all 3 of her factory catalytic converters and is running stage 2 mapping on the gutted stock pipes.

i gutted my UP and DP also MP. going completely catless on stock parts. with just the UP alone, no difference imo. with the DP and MP, it's a little louder (as in i can actually hear it rumble) from stock but not very much. all in all, the car is incredibly quiet. i like that i can hear the deep boxer rumble on occassion but not annoyingly so.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Not much difference at all, in terms of sound. :)

You will probably notice more turbo-spool noise, but it's not commonly thought of as being overly intrusive in-cabin. My wife, who is typically very sensitive of cabin NVH, never even mentioned any audible changes after my UP/DP mod.

---

Typically, a fully-catless system from the turbo -back- will return with "more power" when compared against similar vehicles utilizing at least the stock "third/last" cat. There's just one less restriction to worry about.

Although it is convention that the UP does not contribute significantly to "increased power," several noted tuners have cited that it will add a little bump to the graph, and that if what you're seeking is to eek out every little bit of power, it's not an unworthy mod, particularly as the labor involved is actually more trying than the item's relatively low cost.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived