LegacyGT.com

Freeair sub in stock location? (pics)

rebourne

forgive me if someone has mentioned this before

Has anyone else noticed that the rear deck is already set up for a 8" sub?

The whole is covered by a steel plate, and held down by two bolts. Seems the holes are already threaded. Should be a slam dunk to put an 8" here. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to make a 8" to 10" adapter to use a bigger sub.

Clearly Subaru was thinking of a high-er end sub solution than the tiny under the seat sub. Who knows why they didn't do anything with it this year, but there is always next year.

One note, is that a free-air 8" is a tough woofer to design. It needs to move alot of air, yet it does not have a box to damp it's motions. Thus it needs a tight suspension and huge travel, which have opposoing design parameters. And make sure the woofer has a reeallly long voice coil. No under-hung designs!

edit: ah i see it has been discussed before. my bad.. http://legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2189

subhole1.jpg.e5914390c8c53ab838056603b312938e.jpg

subhole2.jpg.865231227d993f7485221c7a378d12f4.jpg

Yeah they thought about it real hard, for anyone but north americans.. I couldn't find a decent sub to put in there, and my normal sub probably cost me as much as importing the mcintosh sub+grill+mounting hardware would have. The grill doesn't even mount the the sub btw, there is free space underneath the deck cover. Plus if it sounded like crap I would then have a rear deck with a 8" hole in it.

Guest JessterCPA
Here is a sub I found on Crutchfield. [url]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CocZoIkH2qX/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67500&I=2063C84&o=p&a=0&cc=01&avf=N&search=freeair[/url] Kicker freeairs were good BITD, not sure of now.

Hrmm... Qts is a bit low, but not too bad (Qts from .6 to even 1.0 are usually suited for free-air). The FS is a bit high for free-air, but that's what you get with you go small woofer. Lower the FS and the sensativity will go right down with it. Bumped back plate, it'll probably move pretty good. If it soft bottoms (no thwack thwack) it'll be a good fit and probably much better than the OEM McIntosh. Xmax isn't too encouraging, but for $70, I like it. I'd try it.

eh.. frequency response, 30Hz.. Mind you McIntosh specially prepped the trunk for use with there sub.. If you take alook under the covers the rear seats are pretty transparent, and also the rear deck metal is full of holes. Not very good for free-air air use. Rather I should call it infinite baffle, right now it's going to be almost-no-baffle. Also since it's being used without a box power handling is approximately half.

If I were to say, make a subwoofer box for the mount on top, since free air subs limit choices by a lot, would the box, if shaped right, get in the way of the pass-through if it's built either 1) top to bottom, or 2) all across the top? Does anyone get what I'm trying to get at? I'd be interesting to use that stock location with a decent sub that uses a box, but I also want to use the pass-through.
-ben

If you look in the trunk where the Mac. sub is suppose to go, there are two metal rods that run from one side of the trunk to the other. Anyone know what those are for? I'd like to fit a 10" free-air, but those rods are in the way. I've looked in the service manual and there were no mention of them as part of the rear suspension system, so I'm curious what purpose they serve.

[quote name='CombatCQB']If you look in the trunk where the Mac. sub is suppose to go, there are two metal rods that run from one side of the trunk to the other. Anyone know what those are for? I'd like to fit a 10" free-air, but those rods are in the way. I've looked in the service manual and there were no mention of them as part of the rear suspension system, so I'm curious what purpose they serve.[/quote] They open your trunk :)

LOL :oops: Ahh, the world makes sense again. Thanks DK, after you mention that, I found them in the body panels section. Well, the question remains, can they be replaced with something else to free up some space for a larger sub? Maybe replaced with gas pistons?

Archived