LegacyGT.com

To Those With New Legacy's.. How's The Sound System?

axis008

Being an audio fanatic, I'm just curious as to how good or bad the sound system sounds. Is the bass response good at normal volume levels? What about high volumes? How about the treble and midrange? Are the speakers positioned well enough so you get a surround sound feel? Or am I just giving too much credit to a 140-watt sound system? :D
-ben

If you are an audio fanatic, it probably won't be enough. It looks like McIntosh won't be an available option, but that's not such a bad thing. I priced things out to get equipment for a stereo around $1200-1500, and it could easily be better than even the McIntosh. I figure that now that I have a little tike, I may not get to enjoy the stereo anyway. When I'd have a chance to enjoy the performance mods driving by myself, I'd probably be turning down the stereo anyway. I'm not used to this older family man gig yet.

Haha, but you could be the coolest dad in town! I'm still young, so I have time. :P Sure I may be an audio fanatic, but I obviously don't expect the best out of the stock audio system. I was just wondering if it's decent enough to stand. In the van we have at home, the stock stereo is a 10-speaker Infinity system, and it's pretty good. Well, pretty good if you don't factor in the rattling plastic when you turn it up, but it's pretty damn good for a van.
-ben

Maybe go to a Subaru dealer and check out the Legacy stereo that is in the current ones. I bet that it won't be a lot different. I'd like to hear exactly how the McIntosh sounds in the top level Outback to find out just how good it is. One person from Japan, Anthony / AnotherB4, has repeatedly said that adding a better grounding system to the car really helps out the McIntosh.

I was actually hoping for the Mac if available at a decent price, otherwise, I sure hope the stock one is an upgrade over normal bland stereos of the current/past. Maybe I'm just hoping too much, but other mfgs with cars in same range or less are offering higher-quality name-brand stuff for really nice prices from what I remember. That is a sore area in my book. The JDM guys seem to like the Mac though, particularly after grounding as Paul and Anthony have noted.

[quote name='SUBE555']I was actually hoping for the Mac if available at a decent price, otherwise, I sure hope the stock one is an upgrade over normal bland stereos of the current/past. Maybe I'm just hoping too much, but other mfgs with cars in same range or less are offering higher-quality name-brand stuff for really nice prices from what I remember. That is a sore area in my book.[/quote] But there is also a full list of other optional equipment available on cars of the same price or lower that for some reason aren't offered. I'd like to know what the logic is.

[quote name='SUBE555']I dunno, but I think stereos is one of the larger draws, particularly for the younger generation. What's wrong with putting a good stereo that doesn't cost tons like a Bose in? I'm lost.[/quote] I'm sure that McIntosh would be around what a "good" Bose system costs being somewhere between $1000-1500. For younger generations, I don't know that there is such a hangup on the stock equipment because the younger gen knows that they can get it better aftermarket for the same cost. I do essentially agree with what you're saying. The 70 year olds don't really care. The baby boomers have a bit more interest in audio, and the busters are probably the ones really causing a push in decent stereos in Lexus, BMW, etc. The Gen X is what pushed the Mach 460 Putang, MP3 Protege, and others. As we get older and have more purchasing power, it should be interesting to see the attention to ICE.

Spot-on. It's what we grow up with, have to evolve with the times. Heck, even our old early 90's Mazdas had stereos nearly equivilent to the current Subaru's! They need a SERIOUS update. I think it's more SOA than Fuji though considering other countries get some definitely nicer systems. Go check out what the UK has for an options list! :o They had numerous sets of wheels and a whole lot more in almost every facet of the vehicle.

I don't want brand names, I want good sound. Bose almost universally sounds like crap (except in computer applications, where nobody really cares that much about fidelity and musicality). The Panasonic audio upgrade that was in my 1995 Legacy GT was excellent, and it didn't even have the subwoofer. How do I grade excellence? Can I play tapes made on my home system (which costs significantly more than my WRX) with the tone controls flat? If I can, that means a first-rate tonal balance and good dynamic range. The audio upgrade on the WRX does this, but not as capably as the Legacy did. Audio is such a personal thing, and one of the first things that many people upgrade, irrespective of what system is in the car in the first place. The other thing is that different people want different things. Some want the neighbors to be able to hear their music. Others of us just want very good sound with a minimum of hassle. Others still are somewhere in the middle of those two choices. Further, sheer numbers of speakers is the enemy. I hear about 12-speaker setups and just roll my eyes. They always sound weird. Imaging (or such as you can achieve in the car environment) is best when you have as few speakers as possible, but you make those speakers good. The WRX system images well, because the tweeters are high up, as most imaging cues happen in the high-frequency range. I would rather have excellent brakes and a powertrain, than a fancy audio system. Kevin

i don't care for brand names either, but if it's good, there will be a brand name on it. Most everything OEM is made by an audio manufacturer, but maybe they are somewhat embarrassed to have their name on it. Notice that on the stereos at least MEANT to be decent, there is generally a brand name on it.

I think tapes were from the 80's. Kevin, do you still have that mullet? :D I'm waiting for MP3 capability in OE stereo with doog overall sound output. I like the controls in my sisters 02 OBS, but the overall sound output is definitely better in my 97 Legacy GT, at least it has a better mix, both have the premium audio packs.

[quote name='SUBE555']I think tapes were from the 80's. Kevin, do you still have that mullet? :D I'm waiting for MP3 capability in OE stereo with doog overall sound output. I like the controls in my sisters 02 OBS, but the overall sound output is definitely better in my 97 Legacy GT, at least it has a better mix, both have the premium audio packs.[/quote] Wise guy. Cassette tapes are in fact, because they are analog, very illustrative of the differences in various systems and how they reproduce sound, presuming the tape loop of the preamplifier isn't a mess. I haven't listened to cassette tapes for some time in my WRX, but when I did, the sonic output had too much bass and treble, and not enough midrange. That's a problem in my world. If you're going to err, do so on the side of the midrange. Oh Axis, just a bunch of geeky high end stuff hardly anybody has ever heard of, from companies such as First Sound, Analog Research, PS Audio and the like. Kevin

Im kinda curious about the speaker locations as well. If they are on point, then a nice set of component speakers, a couple of good amps, high quality LOC, and a nice sub should do the trick. BTW....notice that wagons always sound better with a sub vs. a sedan. I really hate trunk rattles...
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

There is a link on the Japanese site for a technical archive. I've tried using a babelfish, bit the translation doesn't make much sense.

But as far as a I can see the tweeters are 8cm, the woofer is 16cm and the sub (maybe just with Macintosh setup) is 20cm.

Overall I have no gripes about the sound quality, from what is essentially a Kenwood stereo (6CD changer/MD), the only thing I would want to do is take the line in for the external changer and use it as a direct line from my iPod rather than using the iTrip.

The translation, for what its worth, is below

Form function integrated 6CD/MD (MD-LP non correspondence) CD functional built-in (CD-R/RW correspondence) * Design Macintosh exclusive use DA converter ?????? make (24bit suitable) Center unit Outside constitution Macintosh exclusive use attaching Power guide (PG) the Macintosh patent The number 5ch of channels Installed capacity 200W (PG ON) Rated output (guaranteed performance) 150W (25W×4+50W×1) (Survey value) 175W Rated distortion factor 0.05% Parametric EQ System high-class type (amplifier built-in) Tuning point several 6 points ×4ch Speaker Speaker several 13 speakers (11 units) Front woofer LD/HP attaching 16cmPP cone Macintosh patent ???? - 8cmPP cone The tweeter - 1 it is low the strain software dome The tweeter - 2 it is low the strain software dome Rear woofer LD/HP attaching 16cmPP cone Macintosh patent The tweeter - it is low the strain software dome Sub woofer sub woofer LD/HP attaching 20cmPP cone Macintosh patent

photo_0303.jpg.b6147c14f61ee1ea5f75d041a33bc3f7.jpg

Macintosh.jpg.aae43607ba2da7fa383deaa1acea39cf.jpg

Interesting. Perhaps the new Legacy will have better positions for speakers for creating a better sound stage. I know that is a big complaint about adding a good stereo to a WRX. I already have 85% of a sweet stereo that will go into either a WRX or a new Legacy (it's from my previous car).

• 3 months later...
I find the stock GT wagon setup to be somewhat bass-heavy. Actually, as it has been stated before there is little real bass in a car, it is more of a lower midrange bump that adds some thickness to the sound. It has a warm, friendliness to it but lacks some resolution and articulation. I have the bass control set between -2 to -4 (depending on mood) and the midrange bumped up a bit. I'm hoping that the addition of the stock subwoofer will give more flexibility in setting the frequency balance. Does anyone have any detail if the speakers in the top o' the line Outback are upgraded to a level above those in the GT ? I seem to remember some wording in a brochure to that effect. If so, they would drop in to the Legacy. Tom

Archived