LegacyGT.com

Anyone consider (or used to own) a V70R?

ATB

I am still holding out for the manual trans option to return to the GT wagon, but if it doesn't by the time the WRX wagon needs replacing, I am looking into other options. All I have been able to come up with with anything close to the same performance with a manual trans option is the A4/S4 Avants and the Volvo V70R. I have read a ton on the Audi, but not so much on the Volvo.

Anyone look into them in depth or own/used to own one?

Doesn't BMW make a 540i wagon with a 6-speed? I've driven the 540i sedan 6-speed, and I can tell you that it is right on par with my LGT and will pull away from me on the highway after like 80 or so. Of course, I'm only running stage 1, but it would still make for a crazy fast wagon, if it has a 6-speedas an option....

I almost traded my F-XT for a lightly used V70R, but decided against it. these cars, espacially the 04/05 suffer from serious adaptive suspension issues that sometimes get fixed with a software reflash (not always though) and a host of other less significant problems.

Overall, the legacy is quicker and more reliable. the volvo is more expensive to buy, and I would not get a used one unless it has the 6yr, 100k miles Volvo warranty. the V70R/S60R has a lot more options and creature comfort features, but has an inferior haldex awd. it does come with a 6spd however, and stability control along with amazingly comfy seats.

look here for more details: Swedespeed Forums: R Forum

L-GT will be cheaper to modify and there are way more parts/tuners to pick from.

test drive both cars and compare them. the Rs are nice, just a little overpriced and not very reliable. from an economical standpoint, the L-GT is a winner, but if you love the R, get it and be happy. every car has some pros and cons.

LGT would be the no brainier choice, but it is not currently an option since there is no manual trans avalible.

The BMW 540i wagon is an amazing car, but they havent been made for a few years. The new 5 series wagons only come in an auto 6 cyl version. :(

If all out performance is your goal shy away from the V70R. Serious #'s can be put down with the car but for a price even higher than I had to pay to modify my S4 Avant.

The V70R is a very nice car, I drove one for 24hrs before deciding on the LGT.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I am looking for a fun, quick wagon that is an upgrade in size and lux from the current WRX. Not looking for a sports car or the absoloute highest perf numbers (other car is a Miata :D )...dont plan on modification. Must do well in the winter with snow tires.

This is technicaly the "family" car that belongs to the wife, but she likes fun/fast cars with manual trans nearly as much as I do and refuses any form of van/suv. As I said over in the news/rumors forum, we would be all over a SpecB wagon!

I looked very seriously into the V70R. A very nice care with lots of power and and it was head and shoulders above the Subie in terms of the appointments. But, Volvo is just not the car manufacturer it used to be. Its reliability is dismal compared to Asian cars. Ditto for the BMW wagon which is butt ugly compared to the Subie wagon.:)
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

It must be a wagon, right?

Did you think about A4Q Wagon? It is not cheap, but reliability had improved recently, especially with the new TFSI motor. How about V50 T5 AWD? Better made than V70R, and a much newer design...

Also, how about Outback XT manual? Just plan for suspension/wheel/brake conversion if you want to clone the L-GT.

A used, 2005 L-GT manual Wagon? They can be had fairly cheap, with low mileage. Just get the gold plus warranty plan with it and you can't go wrong there! :icon_bigg

Budget is a bit open at this point (up to low 40s, prob) and we dont need a car ASAP which is why I would be willing to wait until next year to see what SOA does wrt to the legacy wagon.

I wouldn't 100% rule out FWD/RWD, but we have gotten so used to the abilties of the WRX's AWD, particualrly in the winter when shod with snow tires - the car is a tank!

A traditional auto is 100% out of the question, but I would consider a DSG if it happens to show up in the B8 A4 wagons.

I was willing to consider bending on the AWD and auto for something like the SRT-8 if the interior was not such sea of drab plastic.

Dream car is a new E63 AMG wagon in black :D

Funny you say that. I wanted to suggest E55AMG Wagon; my favorite wagon!!! E63AMG will be even better. Ze Germans went a little verrückt! :icon_wink

Which half do you want to buy, BTW? :icon_mrgr

the most recent issue of Winding Road (free online mag) compares the new Sepc B to the S60R. Worth a read... go to page 60 in issue #11 for details!

They feel that the R has "an edge cache and looks," but the "Spec B is the better all-around sedan."

Volvo V50 (wagon version of S40 ;) can be had with Turbo I5 engine, AWD (haldex) and manual. Euro delivery to boot. You will have car and vacation in one shot.

But it is more WRX sized than Legacy. The same is true about BMW 325xi.

BMW can be bought with Euro delivery too.

Krzys

Archived