LegacyGT.com

Legacy v. Accord - What to pick?

My choice is down to two cars: The Legacy 2.5i Ltd. or a Honda Accord LX sedan w/side air bags. Both are automatic w/4 cylinders. Both are good, but which is the right choice? The Legacy you all know about, but the Accord seems to have some plus points: 1) It is about $2,000 less. 2) It has better ergonomics (storage space, cup holders, etc). 3) More options in interior and exterior colors. (Doesn't a black leather interior get awfully hot?) 4) It has a fold down rear seat that can be locked, unlike the pass through for the Legacy. 5) It gets a few more MPG. 6) It has more trunk space. In spite of this, I still think about getting the Legacy just because of the AWD. I know AWD will not help me stop any faster in bad weather. It will help one to accelerate on roads covered in snow or rain. Will it do anything else? So a few questions: 1) What is the right car? (and why?) 2) What exactly is the benefit of AWD? 3) How hot does that black leather interior get and is it hard to keep clean? Thanks in advance.

I can't help you with the leather as I have the base 2.5i. We also looked at the Accord. The Legacy won in every department that was important to me. It has more horsepower. It was the same price as a similarly equiped 2004 Accord. The quality of the interior is far better. It is an absolutely unique car when you look around at the number of Accords on the road at any given time. I have no regrets (except not getting the GT) with picking the Legacy.

According to your location profile, you're in Chicago, right? If I lived in Chicago, I would pick the Legacy without a second thought. It is a great cold-weather car. I'm not sure if the Accord has windshield wiper defrost, but the Legacy does, as well as the awd, which is a huge benefit in snow. Does anyone know if the Legacy 2.5i is availible with heated leather seats? If so, there's something else you can enjoy this winter. Unless you are planning on traveling often and the extra trunk space is a major concern, I would go with the Subaru. Quality wise, both cars are going to be good for about 300,000 miles. I don't know how long you plan to keep your sedan, but for the next few years, I would rather enjoy the added power and uniqueness of a Legacy 2.5i than a Honda Accord. ---

Hey Mach5 and welcome to the site. I actually went from an Accord to a Liberty/Legacy and have to admit, the change was refreshing. Subaru has a lot of the features and build quality that HONDA used to have but have now been brushed aside. The options list in the Subaru was a lot better too with a lot of things added into the price where HONDA was optional. The HONDA is also front wheel drive compaired to AWD with the Scooby. I will give you the same advice that anyway will in here, take both out for extended test drives and just try them out. By the end, the real deal will shine thru. All the very best with your choice and if you have any questions or want any further information, please ask away. Adam.

[quote name='DrGT']Read this comparo, very well said. [url]http://automobilemag.com/reviews/0411_legacy_comparo/index.html[/url][/quote] Wow that was a good article, very informative and it seems to be another feather in Subaru's cap. And not only at the highest level, the Subaru seems to be impressing people at both ends of the range, both base and fully loaded. It seems as though the GT is the more performance oriented, but people are having trouble accepting a fully loaded GT's price. What is confusing me is the polarity of the comments made on the Subaru. In this comparo it was compared with the Honda Accord, who's interior is pretty much of the same ilk as the TSX, and Automobile puts the Legacy's interior on a pedestal, saying it looks like a Bimmer and uses excellent materials. Just makes me wonder if C&D got the same car R&T and Automobile got. :?:

Read this thread about what AWD does for you, it is wonderfully written... [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2350[/url] Now, If you ask for my objective opinion :wink: , I'd go with the Legacy. Fuel economy is a definite down side with AWD though.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Get a legacy. I am not saying this just because I own an lgt and think its the greatest car in the world with the posh interior and sleekest body, along with the plush ride and incredible power, not forgetting the awd and unique appeal, and recalling subarus reputation and great resale.... but no... I dont think im biased :D

Archived