LegacyGT.com

Which did you buy - Manual or Auto?

What type of tranny did you select for your Legacy?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What type of tranny did you select for your Legacy?

[quote name='lemming'][quote name='jedimaster']^^^ :lol: ^^^ I never hear Porsche drivers complain about their manumatics...[/quote] technically, porsche does not sell vehicles with manumatics. they have neither DSG nor SMG manual gearboxes. their automatics have push-button/level actuated shifting. but that is still actuated by a torque converter. second, none of the hardcore porsches, such at the carrera GT, the GT2 and the GT3 come with torque converters. i would never be one to say the legacy GT is a sports car, and i would never critique automatic drivers as inferior in some way, but raising the Porsche issue is a confused comparison that is imprecise and not exactly bolstering your point.[/quote] Technically, the "manumatic" is the colloquial term applied to manually shiftable automatics by the automotive press (hence the combination of "manu" and "matic"). SMG and DSG boxen are called "F1 style", sequential, or by their acronym (SMG or DSG, for example). So jedimaster was using the term correctly in the Porsche context (while we're splitting hairs).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='lemming'][quote name='frontrangeSubie']Remember, this is an "enthusiast" website, as the majority of the Legacy owners will never visit a website about their cars, so the poll will be skewd somewhat. The truth is, that the automatic will account for nearly 70% of these cars that are sold. Any dealer will tell you that. The manual is for the enthusiasts usually. I prefer a manual, but bought the car for my wife, so we got the SEAT. You guys never saw my wife training with my manual '82 Corolla, and I SWORE I would never ride with her in a manual again! I got in her Legacy last week and used the steering wheel shifting, and she said "WHATS THAT?"......Jeesh!! Mark 2005 Silver Legacy GT Lmt. Sedan[/quote] i'm actually surprised at how it favors the manual in this poll. definitely demonstrates we're not in the mainstream at all. i think manuals account for less than 10% of all new vehicles sold in the US.[/quote] Thing is most people that frequent car forums are enthusiasts. I got an automatic. I would've liked manual but it was a no go from the rents. I'm also really happy with the LGT, I appreciate every second of it despite some issues that need to be fixed by warranty.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

[quote name='eamiller'][quote name='lemming'][quote name='jedimaster']^^^ :lol: ^^^ I never hear Porsche drivers complain about their manumatics...[/quote] technically, porsche does not sell vehicles with manumatics. they have neither DSG nor SMG manual gearboxes. their automatics have push-button/level actuated shifting. but that is still actuated by a torque converter. second, none of the hardcore porsches, such at the carrera GT, the GT2 and the GT3 come with torque converters. i would never be one to say the legacy GT is a sports car, and i would never critique automatic drivers as inferior in some way, but raising the Porsche issue is a confused comparison that is imprecise and not exactly bolstering your point.[/quote] Technically, the "manumatic" is the colloquial term applied to manually shiftable automatics by the automotive press (hence the combination of "manu" and "matic"). SMG and DSG boxen are called "F1 style", sequential, or by their acronym (SMG or DSG, for example). So jedimaster was using the term correctly in the Porsche context (while we're splitting hairs).[/quote] sorry. tiptronic S. is that better? i am a former 911 owner and haven't any idea why someone would ruin the porsche experience with anything that uses a torque converter, while we're splitting hairs. :D

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci'][quote name='chuqd']After getting stuck in a 5-hour stop 'n go mess on the NJ Turnpike I swore I was going to switch to an automatic transmission *this time* ...but I just couldn't do it. I went with the manual and even after a few miserable construction backups here in DC I'm very happy with the decision. I think the clutch is pretty stiff but I've gotten used to it.[/quote] You think this clutch is stiff, what kind of car do you come from before?[/quote] I got the manual. The first one in "my" car. However, I've driven my wife's cars with MT's for several years. I absolutely love my decision and have no regrets. As far as stiffness is concerned, my wife has a v70 with a 5MT. The XT clutch is much stiffer than that. I drive her car all weekend. Switching back to the XT on Monday produces sloppy herky jerky clutch disengagement and it takes a few few hours to get "used" to the XT again. I hate that.

This is my first manual, other than in my CJ-7. So I know how to drive one, I just don't have the finesse yet. I just couldn't see having 250 turbocharged hp/tq with a torque converter. That's part of the reason I ended up with the sedan. If I ever decided to sell the car, I figure the market will be larger for a manual sedan than a manual wagon.

i went with the auto gearbox for the main intent on having options. if i'm stuck in stop n go traffic, i dont have to deal with constantly shifting between the gears - i'll leave the shift computer to sort it out. if i'm feeling lazy and dont want to shift, but want the gearbox to be more aggressive, just slide it into sport mode. i like being able to temporarily take control of what gear i'm in, in full auto mode. if i want to take the reigns, i just slide the shifter over, and go to town, and have my choice as to shifting at the wheel or at the stick point being, i have multiple options availible to me. and damn good ones too. to me, it's worth the slight loss in hp. but considering how much spunk the engine has, it's not much of a loss to me in the end :D

[quote name='Nick'][quote name='harrydog']I've driven manual transmissions my whole life with the exception of a couple of vehicles, like a GMC Yukon. Even though a manual can become tiresome in some circumstances, there's nothing like the control a manual gives you. But I'd opt for an auto in the Legacy in a heartbeat if they offered something as good as VW's DSG transmission.[/quote] But the DSG and other transmissions like it are not autos! They are automated manuals. There is no torque convertor, etc. It is a true manual tranny, the only difference being that the car operates the clutch and engages the gears for you. If the Leg had SMG or DSG as an option I would consider it! 100x better than an AT -Nick[/quote] True. The DSG is not automatic in the conventional sense, but in practical terms it can be considered one, since the driver doesn't need to do anything more than push a button. And it's even faster than a manual, so I say, BRING IT AND THEY WILL BUY IT! Well, I will anyway. :D

First auto in 5 yrs, if it were a 4spd with manumatic style shifting, i wouldve definately opted for the 5MT again. On the same token, if 6spd was an option, i wouldnt have got the 5AT.
No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

I got the 5EAT too, and I agree with you 100%. I came from a 5spd manual integra of 5 years. While I enjoyed shifting my own gears, I appreciate the smoothness of the 5EAT. Also I got sick of going between 1st and 2nd in the bay area traffic. That's the main reason I chose the auto. The 5EAT in the legacy is a excellent one IMHO. It shifts for you beautifully while not getting in your way when you demand the manual control. I LOVE it! Also I noticed the difference in how the transmission shifts at different times. In the morning, it shifts at a much lower rpm while you're just starting out and warming up the engine. So it would do series of quick shifts between 2000 and 2500 rpm, so smooth you almost can't detect it unless you watch the tach. After it's warmed up, it'll shift more aggressively, and if you want more power, slap it in sport mode, and it shifts even more aggressively. You want even more power? Shift yourself! It won't get in your way til it hits redline! [quote name='Colonel Angus']i went with the auto gearbox for the main intent on having options. if i'm stuck in stop n go traffic, i dont have to deal with constantly shifting between the gears - i'll leave the shift computer to sort it out. if i'm feeling lazy and dont want to shift, but want the gearbox to be more aggressive, just slide it into sport mode. i like being able to temporarily take control of what gear i'm in, in full auto mode. if i want to take the reigns, i just slide the shifter over, and go to town, and have my choice as to shifting at the wheel or at the stick point being, i have multiple options availible to me. and damn good ones too. to me, it's worth the slight loss in hp. but considering how much spunk the engine has, it's not much of a loss to me in the end :D[/quote]

I love my 5EAT for the same reasons - for an auto it is pretty damn good - although I wish it was DSG. Sport mode is suprisingly good. I think when people complain about lag in the auto, it is in full auto mode, and the tranny is a couple of gears too high and takes it's time to sort things out. If I need to jump into a gap in slow moving traffic I make sure I'm in the right gear (2 or 1) before nailing it. To fully appreciate the 5EAT you need to spend some time working with the three modes. I completely understand why the manual would be better for a lot of people - but the 5EAT is not your average slushbox. [quote name='B4GT']. After it's warmed up, it'll shift more aggressively, and if you want more power, slap it in sport mode, and it shifts even more aggressively. You want even more power? Shift yourself! It won't get in your way til it hits redline![/quote]

Archived