LegacyGT.com

Wash, Clay, and Wolfgang on Silver

Man, did the whole deal this past week. The car actually looks like it has depth to the paint.Quite a bit of work, but I'll say this the Wolfgang sealant goes on and comes off sweet. No effort at all :spin:

I actually pulled the car into the garage overnight so it would stay clean, then reapplied a second coat of sealant on day 2. Of course on day 2 it started raining out ....and continued for 3 days!! I just couldn't take it out of the garage after all that work so I wound up stealing my wifes car for all my errands :lol:. She thought I was nuts, "it's a car it's okay to get it wet." Yeah right easy for her to say she didn't spend two days detailing it.

Anyway here are some pics. I know this Wolfgang is supposed to look better on dark cars which I can't even imagine cause I think it looks smokin' even on the silver. The pics don't do it justice.... and yeah I know I'm a crappy photographer :p.

*edit* forgot to thank OCdetails for sharing his wealth of knowledge. Best wishes to you and the baby man.

598253910_IM001666(Medium).JPG.eceb5c9ebe37d4d880faae189bc546f7.JPG

619359766_IM001667(Medium).JPG.9d6fbfecf274ef123b24353689e3d8ff.JPG

1746379414_IM001668(Medium).JPG.329bd16d85376cfee4b2f29ea8be0f32.JPG

787145924_IM001669(Medium).JPG.3c5785ad2310bd24875c8c20d08123fa.JPG

Nice job! I also really like how Wolfgang looks on silver too. It's hard to capture on camera, I know. Now if you put some tire dressing on, it'll really help contrast with the silvery paint.

Ken

i have found good results with Eagle 1 all wheel cleaner and a cheap $.50 paint brush from the local hardware store. spray the jizz on a cool wheel, wait approx 30 seconds and then go to work with the brush. the long bristles will reach places your fingers can't and the handle will keep your hands free of the acidic cleaning solution......also working on 1 wheel at a time prevents the jizz from drying........

i have found good results with Eagle 1 all wheel cleaner and a cheap $.50 paint brush from the local hardware store. spray the jizz on a cool wheel, wait approx 30 seconds and then go to work with the brush. the long bristles will reach places your fingers can't and the handle will keep your hands free of the acidic cleaning solution......also working on 1 wheel at a time prevents the jizz from drying........

I take it you didn't have any damage from this stuff ? I don't want anything too harsh that might damage the finish on the wheels.

no, but you want to make sure to work on a cool wheel and do one at a time. the damage tends to occur when the car has just been driven, the brakes get the wheels hot and then the jizz dries too fast and damages the finish. and i'm sure that there are other products out there for aluminum wheels that will work fine, but the problem with most is that they are so weak to avoid possible damage, that they do not clean effectively......

I thought about that but I was worried about getting lots of detailer spray on the rotors. I will give it a try if that's not a concern.

Use a soapy sponge then and lather the wheels and use the clay on it. Works just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I did claybar, Klasse AIO and the Wolfgang Sealant. WOW.. this stuff looks wet. I did this by hand and used a cheapo 10" buffer to buff off the Wolfgang. It is easy enough to do by hand.

For the experts out there.. I have a few water spots and 1 bird dropping mark. I assume I would need the porter cable to take these off?

Waterspots and bird bombs have a nasty habit of etching the paint. Try soaking a rag with vinegar and setting that on the area first. If that doesn't help clean it off then you may be looking at paint etching. With the bird bomb you may not even be able to get it out with a PC. Bird shit is some of the most acidic stuff that can get on your paint. It can leave permenant damage.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd just let it soak there for a minute or two. The rag is just so the vinegar stays on the affected area. It is relatively acidic, but still safe on the paint. Just to be safe you should probably wash the area with a really soapy solution to neutralize the acids.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks OCD.. I will probably end up buying a PC in the next few months.

BTW the Klasse AIO and Wolfgang Sealant look amazing! I parked my car at the train station this morning and 2 train conductors walked around my car to check out the shine. It must look amazing on a darker color blue.

ok i am not a scientist, but if a bird bomb is acidic, whould you not want to neautralize it with a base? therefore not use another acidic solution? Has anyone tried baking soda? That will nautralize the acid in the poop.

but i do agree that vinegar clean crap well. esp glass.

i am just curious... no harm intended..

*hides*

The ultimate goal is to not get bird shit on the car in the first place. The next best thing is to get it off as fast as you can. If you can't wash it off quickly then all you can do is deal with the damage. Birds don't have kidneys or bladders, so the stuff they poop out is incredibly acidic. So unless you are standing by your car with a bottle of soap and a box of baking soda all day, you can only do what you can do.

FWIW, the vinegar is mainly perscribed as a solution to the water spots. It will take care of the calcium deposits that are left by hard water. I've never let a bird bomb sit on my car long enough to have it cause damage, so I wouldn't know if it was effective against that. I have seen plenty of cars damaged by bird crap and a good paint cleaning has worked for most of them. Some have let it go too long and the damage is too much for paint cleaner. Depending on what kind of bird it was will deterimine how damaging the crap can be. Some birds eat stuff that is more acidic than others.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived