LegacyGT.com

Questions about paint chips and clear bras

I'm new to the forum, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to repair paint chips on the bumper (down to the plastic) other than repainting the whole bumper. If such a method does exist, where can I go to have it done and how much damage will it do to my wallet? I also have some paint that is about to flake off due to a tiny bump that didnt leave a dent in the bumper. Is there anything I can do to fix that problem? Lastly, does anyone here have a clear bra on their car? What brand is the best and where can I get it installed? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You could just buy some touch-up paint from the dealer. It's hard to get it to match w/o being bumpy (as it's typically applied with a nail polish type brush --although I've had a hard time even with a normal hobby type paint brush)... otoh, from far away it looks better than a paint chip

I had a clear bra installed the same week I bought the Leggie as I've done to all my past cars. It's deifnately a worthwhile investment that gives a peice of mind. Had it done to the mirrors, hood and front bumper. cost me $600 for the whole thing. They used the 3M brand material. Now to repaint the whole front bumper? I'm guesstimating $300-400 bucks.

just had the car front end replaced back in march. had my 3m clearbra installed by a local dealer in town. here, it's a bit more than $300-400 installed, we're talking about $400-500. well worth the money!

and i had them do a few touch ups, not too noticeable, and not worth spending a ton of money to repaint what i just had done!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 1 month later...
if u add touch up paint n it leaves it bumpy.. can u not buff out the bumpyness for an even look/ finish??

Yes you can, in fact before I had my clear bra installed I had the bumper touched up, waited about 24hrs for it to dry properly then I just buffed out the whole front end. You'd need a magnifying glass to tell where the touch ups are on my car :)

Btw, I have rockblocker as well, in fact I had him install it for me .. benefits of living in AZ .... just to let everyone know, I have gone through two brutal summers now with it on here in AZ and it still looks good :)

Don't know if this will help, but here you go :) The arrow points to where the clear bar is .. you can barely see the line.

http://members.cox.net/aohmer/Picture_021.bmp

Wow I can barely see that.... but why not just cover the entire hood so avoid seeing the line?

Yes you can, in fact before I had my clear bra installed I had the bumper touched up, waited about 24hrs for it to dry properly then I just buffed out the whole front end. You'd need a magnifying glass to tell where the touch ups are on my car :)

sweet, thats a great idea!:)

Wow I can barely see that.... but why not just cover the entire hood so avoid seeing the line?

$$$ mostly. The raw material is rather pricey. The various manufactures (Rock Blocker, Clear Bra, Xpel, Invinca-Shield,...etc) mostly use the same material (3M) but cut it into different patterns that cover more or less real estate on the car. The more coverage, the more $$$. I'm guessing to cover the entire hood would cost $400-$500 just for the bra. Then there'd be the installtion fee on top of that.

we should find someone to make us hood bras and start a GB!!

on another hand.. iv NEVER buffed anything in my life... so woud i apply the touch up paint... buy a buffer.. and.. buff away? or is there more to that

The bulk product my installer uses comes in 24" rolls. That might be the widest available.

They actually can get a bigger roll,

my entire front hood, side fender, head lamps, front bumper, fog lights, fog lights cover, side skirts, area after rear wheels, rear bumper just truck entrance area, side mirrors, all doors handles are all cover..

Yes it pricey, only the hood cost me $800 CDN... do the math.

But it so peace of mind when I tail gate people sometimes...:lol:

Archived