LegacyGT.com

State Inspection Fail due to Brakes

Precise

my appt is on tuesday morning...maybe i shud switch to wed. Im gonna be bored out of my mind. What time is your appt on wednesday? are you waiting or leaving your car?

heres a little more on how the car drives itself:

I still have to drive the car (but a lot less now), because its my only means of transportation, so hopefully I won't get a ticket (i know, i know, im dodging bullets). Anyway, I was driving and had to do a hard brake for a signal and my brakes felt very poor (moreso than normal?) and i think i heard a loud squeeking sound. That scared me. My steering wheel also shimmies left and right on not so heavy breaking as well. I was thinking about gettin some aftermarket pads, but I dont think it would be beneficial, only because I've never autocrossed my car and barely do any spirited driving. Also, pads seem to be more $$ than I previously thought.

As for finding a place that can get me an inpsection sticker by barely doing a check on the car itself, the first place I went to was supposed to be an easy pass (my mother had gone there that morning already and she said he barely checked the car, just turn signals and headlights, etc.). I think I'll just wait it out and hopefully avoid a ticket. For now the LGT is sitting idle in front of the house. Maybe its for the better, I'm 2,000 miles over my lease allowance for this year already ;]

I think it's for noon but I don't quite remember. I'll probably call tomorrow and confirm the time.

I was originally thinking about dropping the car off and having my friend drive me home but then I was thinking what if it's just a loose wire or something and it takes only an hour or two to fix. It would be a waste of gas and time to go home and come back. Ah but if you decide to switch your appointment to Wed let me know. I'll be more inclined to just stay there then.

The inspection on my 240SX is over a year and a half out of date. No tickets yet.

I don't know how it is down in Texas, but here in New York City you can't really park anywhere public with anexpired inspection and not get a ticket.

My mother had an expired inspection which she had overlooked. It was only expired for a couple of days, and she parked to go to the ATM for a few minutes, when she came back she had a $35 ticket.

X

---

Heh. I actually got pulled over in that car about 2 months ago for speeding and the officer didn't notice or didn't care. Yeah, I guess it's different down here.
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

does this kind of a ticket affect insurance premiums? My father said that getting an inspection sticker ticket makes you a high risk driver because your car might be unsafe to drive, and if insurance finds out, they up your rates. Any truth to this?

does this kind of a ticket affect insurance premiums? My father said that getting an inspection sticker ticket makes you a high risk driver because your car might be unsafe to drive, and if insurance finds out, they up your rates. Any truth to this?

No it does not. It is not a moving violation, just a parking ticket per say. You just have to pay it, or go to court and maybe get it dismissed or reduced.

There are just a few different type of parking tickets that will get reduced in court. I got what I believe was the most expensive parking ticket ever. I was blocking a pedestrian access at the corner in the middle of the street (sidewalk access), you know those small ramps at end of streets, but this one was in the middle of the street.

That is a $165 ticket. I took some pictures with the car barely blocking it, went to court, and she said the ticket was valid, and it was not one that culd be reduced.

That hurt, but I will never park anywhere near it. It is actually more expensive than a fire hydrant ticket.

X

---

1. Pretty obvious from the wear marks that something is wrong with the brakes
  2. Definitely a warrantable item (won't pass inspection and its still under the 36K B-T-B Warranty)
  3. Dealer should replace any parts that are below mins (perhaps the rotors and the pads)
  4. Don't drive it any more than absolutely necessary and then with persistent moderation
  5. Keep us posted on the outcome

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Kamikaze: I couldnt get an appt for wednesday but I'm gonna try again tomorrow morning and swee if someone cancelled.

subietonic: thanks for the advice!

the only thing i'm worried about is that I'm 21, i look young as it is (my braces dont help), and walking into a dealership with a car that has less thank 15K on the odometer and already needing rotors and pad replacement....it looks like I overworked the car. As it is, I have crappy experiences with most dealers I go to (besides the one near my school). Hopefully metric lives up to its reputation as a good service dealership and everything goes smoothly. thanks for all the advice

Kamikaze: couldnt get the appt changed to wednesday, they were full...

got my brakes taken care of today. I told them what I was experiencing and after a test drive, he said he couldnt replicate it. I urged him to try again, and he came back (with my brakes giving off a bad stench) and said the front rotors were warped. I asked him about my back rotors and told him about my inspection failure because of them. He said nothing was wrong with them, and only the front rotors needed to be resurfaced. I told them to do the inspection while they're at it too. 5.5 hours later, I was on my way.

When I go back to school, I'll take it to my dealership and see if they spot anything funny (especially with the rear rotors), but for now, the LGT drives on...

Archived