LegacyGT.com

2007 Legacy B-Spec Wagon

cappachinoo

I hate to say it, but where else are you going to get a mid-size performance wagon for under 30k?

OK, so I know the car doesn't get any credit whatsoever here, but I've got to throw a vote out for the Mazda6 wagon. It's not an Audi or BMW, certainly, but is it a fun mid-size performance wagon for (well!) under $30k?? - Absolutely. Not as quick as an LGT, but still fun to drive, with plenty of suspension mods available, as well. I happen to like the looks of the Mazda better, as well, but might be in the minority on that. I had a Mazda6 sedan before my LGT sedan and in some ways I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. The LGT is a nicer, faster car overall, but on the other hand I never had a problem with Mazda6 whereas my LGT is making me nervous, having already had problems with the stinky clutch, stuttering engine, bad center diff, and right now bad rear wheel bearings. I'm not feeling the Subie love, really, and given the premium price over the Mazda I expected better quality.

That said, I would also find a Spec-B wagon VERY intriguing...:)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I also like the mazda 6 wagon, but there are several problems with it.

First, no MT with the v6 wagon. So that takes it off my list. 2nd, this is a fwd design, and is more nose-heavy, whether fwd or awd.

Personally, I'd rather take the 9-3 wagon with a manual, but I just can't buy a fwd car. The weight distribution and the performance in cornering and turn in just are not worth it.

OK, so I know the car doesn't get any credit whatsoever here, but I've got to throw a vote out for the Mazda6 wagon. It's not an Audi or BMW, certainly, but is it a fun mid-size performance wagon for (well!) under $30k?? - Absolutely. Not as quick as an LGT, but still fun to drive, with plenty of suspension mods available, as well. I happen to like the looks of the Mazda better, as well, but might be in the minority on that. I had a Mazda6 sedan before my LGT sedan and in some ways I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. The LGT is a nicer, faster car overall, but on the other hand I never had a problem with Mazda6 whereas my LGT is making me nervous, having already had problems with the stinky clutch, stuttering engine, bad center diff, and right now bad rear wheel bearings. I'm not feeling the Subie love, really, and given the premium price over the Mazda I expected better quality.

That said, I would also find a Spec-B wagon VERY intriguing...:)

On the contrary, the Mazda 6 wagon CAN be had with a manual transmission - the entire 6 line is available with MT's. (I checked again just to be sure.) The wagon is only available with the V6, not the I4, but you've still got a choice of 5MT or 6EAT. Yes, it's a front-heavy FWD design... but that's what I grew up driving, so the balance doesn't really bother me at all, although I can understand that's a 'personal preference' thing. And 220hp with decent fuel economy on regular unleaded also helps negate some of those 'problems'. Please note that I'm not lining up at the Mazda dealer to trade in my LGT quite yet, but I do think it's a viable alternative.

We can only hope SOA gives us the Spec B in a Wagon format......

Even if they do though.....

how many colors will we have to choose from?

1?

I'd love to get one in 08......if a wagon version is not avail & more colors are not a option.

My next car purchase will be another make;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

On the contrary, the Mazda 6 wagon CAN be had with a manual transmission - the entire 6 line is available with MT's. (I checked again just to be sure.) The wagon is only available with the V6, not the I4, but you've still got a choice of 5MT or 6EAT. Yes, it's a front-heavy FWD design... but that's what I grew up driving, so the balance doesn't really bother me at all, although I can understand that's a 'personal preference' thing. And 220hp with decent fuel economy on regular unleaded also helps negate some of those 'problems'. Please note that I'm not lining up at the Mazda dealer to trade in my LGT quite yet, but I do think it's a viable alternative.

The '08 Mazda 6 will be available with a 300 hp V6.

:spin:

Hmmm... Torgue-steer much? 300hp might be a bit excessive, actually, for FWD - but I'd definitely have to go for a test drive! I hadn't seen this news yet; do you have a link to the info you can share?? Perhaps that's the new 3.5L Duratec that Ford is taking forever to develop??

My mistake - when I looked at the M6, the v6 wagon was not available with a manual, and the I4 was available.

As you say, though, fwd, so I'm not interested. Incidentally it was my Miata that taught me how much I love rwd - maybe you haven't got the disease fully yet ?

:lol:

:spin:

LOL

If I could get a spec B wagon, I would drop all thoughts of an A4 avant/V70R, etc. As things stand now, Subaru does not make a car I would replace the WRX wagon with.

As to the Mazda6 wagon, it looks like an excellent option, but just not for me. Not only is it FWD, but the interior is not much of an upgrade from the WRX. The legacy may not be an Audi on the inside, but it is good enough for me. The 6 is not. I do apprecaite Mazdas (I also own a Miata) and would consider a MS6 wagon if they made one.

Incidentally it was my Miata that taught me how much I love rwd - maybe you haven't got the disease fully yet ? LOL

Actually, there's something to that. I REALLY need to go to a performance driving school to learn how to get the most out of RWD - I'm not entirely comfortable with it yet. For the Miata, I added the big RB front sway bar, which brought it back into my comfort zone.

Anyway, back on topic: I'm kinda diggin' the couple of OBXT's here that people have lowered with coilovers. That would be something I'd consider doing if I needed to move to a wagon.

You may not need a school - just go north every saturday for a good romp on some twisty roads, get in touch with your car, play with it. You don't need to go fast, just pay attention, and you'll see what I mean. You might even want to ditch that front bar between runs and see if you can tell the difference.

A real eye opener can be doing a very rapid lane change maneuver at say 45 mph first in your miata and then in a fwd car. You will definately feel the difference in the back end.

Anyway, enjoy it !

Actually, there's something to that. I REALLY need to go to a performance driving school to learn how to get the most out of RWD - I'm not entirely comfortable with it yet. For the Miata, I added the big RB front sway bar, which brought it back into my comfort zone.

Anyway, back on topic: I'm kinda diggin' the couple of OBXT's here that people have lowered with coilovers. That would be something I'd consider doing if I needed to move to a wagon.

Hmmm... Torgue-steer much? 300hp might be a bit excessive, actually, for FWD - but I'd definitely have to go for a test drive! I hadn't seen this news yet; do you have a link to the info you can share?? Perhaps that's the new 3.5L Duratec that Ford is taking forever to develop??

Last year Mazda introduced a Mazda speed6 wagon (AWD, 4cyl Turbo) to compete with the LGT Wagons, Toyota Caldina GT wagon and Nissan Stagea, non of which (other then the LGT) they offer in UDM.

Wagons have been/are big in Japan and the rest of the world, they are more of a specialty market here with the introduction of the SUV.

I test drove the Mazda 6 wagon.

1) I am now totally spoiled on AWD - and I have had FWD and RWD cars. Going from an AWD to a FWD now is such a downer!!! Won't even consider a FWD car ever again.

2) The quality of the Mazda 6 was much lower then the Subi - I don't mean long term, but fit and finish and other things.

3) Looks, I think both the Leg and the 6 a really great looking cars - both are equally good - with the 6 looking more aggressive and the leg looking more clean and sophisticated.

4) I think the 6 had some nice little interior features, but the Leg was a roomier and more comfortable car with much better interior quality.

5) I have put 28k in 14 months on my Leg, and have had no quality problems, all the people I know with Mazda 6's (4) all have had quality issues.

JMHO

the spec b with the h6 is wayyyyy to nose heavy.... personally i dont need a spec b wagon. the only thing good about it would be the 6 speed and heck i dont have any problems with my 5 speed. i dont think the spec b's suspension set up is worth keeping either. I'd definaltly would put some zeals on it.

what it comes down to is it worth the extra $$... when i had a built wrx and i went to but a sti... i couldnt justify paying 100 bux more per month for it. and 35 more bux a month for insurence. the sti was slower on the bottom end and handled worse then my wrx. thats how i look at the spec b.

ohh well just my 2 centz

<:)))><

I test drove the Mazda 6 wagon.

1) I am now totally spoiled on AWD - and I have had FWD and RWD cars. Going from an AWD to a FWD now is such a downer!!! Won't even consider a FWD car ever again.

2) The quality of the Mazda 6 was much lower then the Subi - I don't mean long term, but fit and finish and other things.

3) Looks, I think both the Leg and the 6 a really great looking cars - both are equally good - with the 6 looking more aggressive and the leg looking more clean and sophisticated.

4) I think the 6 had some nice little interior features, but the Leg was a roomier and more comfortable car with much better interior quality.

5) I have put 28k in 14 months on my Leg, and have had no quality problems, all the people I know with Mazda 6's (4) all have had quality issues.

JMHO

:whore:

I agree Totally with with every thing stated here. Except maybe the Quality issue. Just because I haven't heard anything.

My Sis picked up an 05 Limited around the same time one of my buddies picked up a Mazda 6. Since my sisters car is not the GT I noticed a big difference in power between the 2. But as far as Quality and Craftmanship the Legacy wins Handsdown. The 6 just feels cheap, and it's the least bit comfortable. And what's with the vents. Anyone that has seen them know what I'm talking about.

Just my 2 bits.

:munch:

my buddy has a 6 wagon. i have to say, i like it.. it is a great car. when i car pool with him it feels comfortable. that said, i don't think it is up to par w/ my leggy wagon. also he asks me if he can drive my car on the days when we take my car.. heh heh.. :icon_twis

i _LOVE_ the look and the interior of the spec b wagon. i like the vents for the rear passanger. telescopic steering wheel.. there lots of interior improvement that i wish my wagon had..

I secretly lust after the V70R too, despite it having suspect reliability, heat soak issues, and dealers who do not know how to fix/service them. However, the infernal headrest is a fixed item, and due to my height it hits me square in the shoulders. I understand the safety-crazed Swedes designing whiplash protection, but in their overzealous efforts they have ruled out anyone over 6'3" fitting with any modicrum of comfort.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'd be hard pressed to go with another XT if the Spec B wagon was done right- more power, 6 speed, etc. It'd also be able to option your new Suby up the way you'd like. Limited/non-limited is a pretty narrow range of choices. I wanted leather, but not a sunroof- had to get both (wife loves the sunroof so it's all good, but I'd like to be able to choose).

Archived