LegacyGT.com

No BBS CHs for Leg GT?

MtnSub

Called my local wheel supplier to order BBS CH, 17/7.5s. Calls me back and said BBS does not offer a CH 17inch wheel for Leg GT/05. Said BBS only has RGR wheel type for Leg GT/05. Anyone have different info? Even on tirereack.com, choices seem very limited for 7.5 wheels. The offset seems to be a problem. Darn, I really like the BBS CHs.

I can order 18s, no problem, but I really do not want to go below a 45 profile for real world driving and unless I have mis-read posts, 17/225/45 are the perf sweet spot. My middle son has 18s for looks, but his brothers are all on 17s. I am going to put Toyo Proxes 4s on for my mountain driving ski trips. Also, if sport suspension arrives soon, combo of stiffer and lower profile is not best. Maybe I am being too old man about this and should just go for the 18s, but unless I am missing something, I think the 17/45s are the optimal combo. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. You know what gtguy would say (yes another old guy) if he were not peddling around Europe. Xnock should know about this stuff. I am back looking for wheel options in 17by7.5. ACE has a good number of 17/7.5 wheels that look good, but I do not know about quality or weight. I know OZ wheels, but they seem to be limited to SAs, the WRX wheel. I agree that the BBS CHs would really compliment a silver Leg GT, but the aftermarket world has not yet to acknowledged the Leg GT.

[quote name='MtnSub']I can order 18s, no problem, but I really do not want to go below a 45 profile for real world driving and unless I have mis-read posts, 17/225/45 are the perf sweet spot. My middle son has 18s for looks, but his brothers are all on 17s. I am going to put Toyo Proxes 4s on for my mountain driving ski trips. Also, if sport suspension arrives soon, combo of stiffer and lower profile is not best. Maybe I am being too old man about this and should just go for the 18s, but unless I am missing something, I think the 17/45s are the optimal combo. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. You know what gtguy would say (yes another old guy) if he were not peddling around Europe. Xnock should know about this stuff. I am back looking for wheel options in 17by7.5. ACE has a good number of 17/7.5 wheels that look good, but I do not know about quality or weight. I know OZ wheels, but they seem to be limited to SAs, the WRX wheel. I agree that the BBS CHs would really compliment a silver Leg GT, but the aftermarket world has not yet to acknowledged the Leg GT.[/quote] Both Ace and ADR have some nice wheels. Just check the weights....some are like 24 lbs. I don't see there being a real huge difference between 45 and 40 series. Now if you went to like 35 I can see what your saying. But 5mm is nothing if it means you not getting the 18's you really like.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Yes agreed, the aftermarket ppl have not really come out with anything yet. I decided on BBS CH 18's months ago, great looking, fill out the arches nicely and yes, do compliment the silver car. The other thing is, they would be easy to off load later if u wanted to change. I hear you also regarding REAL WORLD DRIVING. Bit like what they say about the M3 with the 19's, it looses grip over the 18's for the same reasons you pointed out above. Im sure it will be a hard choice to move away from the BBS CH rims. Adam.

[quote name='agctr']Yes agreed, the aftermarket ppl have not really come out with anything yet. I decided on BBS CH 18's months ago, great looking, fill out the arches nicely and yes, do compliment the silver car. The other thing is, they would be easy to off load later if u wanted to change. I hear you also regarding REAL WORLD DRIVING. Bit like what they say about the M3 with the 19's, it looses grip over the 18's for the same reasons you pointed out above. Im sure it will be a hard choice to move away from the BBS CH rims. Adam.[/quote] On the note of the M3 19s...do you think this is the case point involving the Legacy? After all, the Spec.B comes with 18s...

I think so DM, I mean more inchs doesnt mean more grip, I think it has to do more with drivability with look and feel thrown in. If the 18's worked better than the 17's, I think Subaru would have moved the WRX to 18's platform a long time ago. There is also a price factor involved, re the rim and tyre size but if you have noticed, Subaru doesnt even have an upspec option for the 18's on the WRX. With better suspension and track, Im sure they have tested the Spec-B 18's both on the track and REAL WORLD DRIVING and have found they work and work well. Adam. PS, It would be interesting to see when they offer the Spec-B in USDM format, what tyres they put on the 18's?

Wheel choice for Leg GT 17/7.5 size is very ltd. BBS CH or RK out. Must go to 18s or RK with 17x7= no 225s on those. OZ Superaleggras 17x7, no 7.5 so back to stock. ACE Allure Racing has 17x17.5, but not sure offset for Leg GT Really don't want 18s w/40 profile. If suspension upgrade comes along, combo of 18/40s and stiffer suspension becomes too harsh. All those great posts about ideal rolling mass and ideal wheel/tire size, but very ltd. choices that fit Leg GT. There are some very good, industrial looking race wheels out there in 17x7.5, but nothing that has form and function BBS/OZ IMO.

agctr, my last post went out while your last arrived. Mine is a bit repetitive and your new perspective makes me think I should re-consider going to 18s. Not sure what your point was in relation to Leg GT regarding comments about WRX not going to 18s.

[quote name='agctr']I think so DM, I mean more inchs doesnt mean more grip, I think it has to do more with drivability with look and feel thrown in. If the 18's worked better than the 17's, I think Subaru would have moved the WRX to 18's platform a long time ago. There is also a price factor involved, re the rim and tyre size but if you have noticed, Subaru doesnt even have an upspec option for the 18's on the WRX. With better suspension and track, Im sure they have tested the Spec-B 18's both on the track and REAL WORLD DRIVING and have found they work and work well. Adam. PS, It would be interesting to see when they offer the Spec-B in USDM format, what tyres they put on the 18's?[/quote] More inches doesn't mean more grip per se....but more inches = stiffer sidewall, which I think the Spec.B benefits from... The Imprezas get 17"ers, but, I think cost has everything to do with that one. The Impreza is a lower line model, so maybe that has something to do with it. As for 18" USDM fitment....they'd use RE92s of course.... :lol:

[quote]The Imprezas get 17"ers[/quote] USDM WRX's are 16's actually, STi is 17, 17 for WRX and STi in other markets. Prodrive's preferred wheel size for the WRX with their stiffer springs was an 18" wheel. The shorter sidewall is great for turn-in response and cornering predictability and control. Downside is running costs for tires and ride harshness (jittery is a common adjective). Tom

[quote name='GTCanada'][quote]The Imprezas get 17"ers[/quote] USDM WRX's are 16's actually, STi is 17, 17 for WRX and STi in other markets. Prodrive's preferred wheel size for the WRX with their stiffer springs was an 18" wheel. The shorter sidewall is great for turn-in response and cornering predictability and control. Downside is running costs for tires and ride harshness (jittery is a common adjective). Tom[/quote] I was referring to the STi. Also note that the WRX has a 17" BBS upgrade available.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='GTCanada'][quote]The Imprezas get 17"ers[/quote] USDM WRX's are 16's actually, STi is 17, 17 for WRX and STi in other markets. Prodrive's preferred wheel size for the WRX with their stiffer springs was an 18" wheel. The shorter sidewall is great for turn-in response and cornering predictability and control. Downside is running costs for tires and ride harshness (jittery is a common adjective). Tom[/quote] I was referring to the STi. Also note that the WRX has a 17" BBS upgrade available.[/quote] A $3000 17" BBS upgrade at that... :x

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='agctr']I think so DM, I mean more inchs doesnt mean more grip, I think it has to do more with drivability with look and feel thrown in. If the 18's worked better than the 17's, I think Subaru would have moved the WRX to 18's platform a long time ago. There is also a price factor involved, re the rim and tyre size but if you have noticed, Subaru doesnt even have an upspec option for the 18's on the WRX. With better suspension and track, Im sure they have tested the Spec-B 18's both on the track and REAL WORLD DRIVING and have found they work and work well. Adam. PS, It would be interesting to see when they offer the Spec-B in USDM format, what tyres they put on the 18's?[/quote] More inches doesn't mean more grip per se....but more inches = stiffer sidewall, which I think the Spec.B benefits from... The Imprezas get 17"ers, but, I think cost has everything to do with that one. The Impreza is a lower line model, so maybe that has something to do with it. As for 18" USDM fitment....they'd use RE92s of course.... :lol:[/quote] For the life of me, I dont understand why they would UPSPEC the car from the GT to the 3.0R Spec-B with the 18's then say, ahhh lets keep the same RE92's, that will work...........WT ? Adam.

[quote name='agctr'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='agctr']I think so DM, I mean more inchs doesnt mean more grip, I think it has to do more with drivability with look and feel thrown in. If the 18's worked better than the 17's, I think Subaru would have moved the WRX to 18's platform a long time ago. There is also a price factor involved, re the rim and tyre size but if you have noticed, Subaru doesnt even have an upspec option for the 18's on the WRX. With better suspension and track, Im sure they have tested the Spec-B 18's both on the track and REAL WORLD DRIVING and have found they work and work well. Adam. PS, It would be interesting to see when they offer the Spec-B in USDM format, what tyres they put on the 18's?[/quote] More inches doesn't mean more grip per se....but more inches = stiffer sidewall, which I think the Spec.B benefits from... The Imprezas get 17"ers, but, I think cost has everything to do with that one. The Impreza is a lower line model, so maybe that has something to do with it. As for 18" USDM fitment....they'd use RE92s of course.... :lol:[/quote] For the life of me, I dont understand why they would UPSPEC the car from the GT to the 3.0R Spec-B with the 18's then say, ahhh lets keep the same RE92's, that will work...........WT ? Adam.[/quote] Gotta cut corners somehow??? :roll:
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='agctr'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='agctr']I think so DM, I mean more inchs doesnt mean more grip, I think it has to do more with drivability with look and feel thrown in. If the 18's worked better than the 17's, I think Subaru would have moved the WRX to 18's platform a long time ago. There is also a price factor involved, re the rim and tyre size but if you have noticed, Subaru doesnt even have an upspec option for the 18's on the WRX. With better suspension and track, Im sure they have tested the Spec-B 18's both on the track and REAL WORLD DRIVING and have found they work and work well. Adam. PS, It would be interesting to see when they offer the Spec-B in USDM format, what tyres they put on the 18's?[/quote] More inches doesn't mean more grip per se....but more inches = stiffer sidewall, which I think the Spec.B benefits from... The Imprezas get 17"ers, but, I think cost has everything to do with that one. The Impreza is a lower line model, so maybe that has something to do with it. As for 18" USDM fitment....they'd use RE92s of course.... :lol:[/quote] For the life of me, I dont understand why they would UPSPEC the car from the GT to the 3.0R Spec-B with the 18's then say, ahhh lets keep the same RE92's, that will work...........WT ? Adam.[/quote] We all wonder how the GT even got these tires.... :roll:

• 3 weeks later...
18s have actually been known as the ultimate wheel size between performance and looks as voted by a few car magazines. 40 profile tires are not that bad at all and should be fine on the Legacy which rides very very smooth now. With stiffer shocks and springs the car could have some really good road feel and halding with some 18" CHs

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Run 18", just go wider on the BBS CHs by 8".. you can run a 225/40/18.. I live in DC, land of some big BIG potholes.. and if you properly inflate your tires, you'll be fine.. I never had a problem with 18" on 225/40/18 on my GT. Keefe
Keefe

Archived