LegacyGT.com

97 Outback Ltd. Question

Hey guys, I'm kind of a n00b here so you'll have to excuse my one post :D

My parents just bought a 97 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited w/ the 2.5L H4 and 5spd, and it has ~105,000 miles on it. Generally speaking people have told me that dealers recommend replacing the timing belt at around 90,000 miles and we're not sure if it's been done yet. The car seems to run fine but we don't want to take the risk of it breaking because if it does the engine will be toast.

Now, I know a lot about mechanics and have dealt with timing before, so I want to know how big of a job this is. I looked over the car and it doesn't look overly difficult to get to the timing cover except for getting the crank pulley off because the radiator is in the way and I don't think there's enough room to get a pulley tool in there. If I can get the crank pulley off (any advice on this would help), is the job as simple as removing the accessory belt, removing the AC/PS pumps and pulleys and stuff, removing the alternator, removing the timing cover and replacing the belt? I know about the marks on the belt and the sprockets and keeping the engine in time and all that stuff and I will have a Hayne's or Chilton's manual by my side.

I'm assuming it would be about 300-500 to replace the belt at a dealer/mechanic and my parents just bought this car so I don't think they should have to spend that kinda money right off the bat. I have a 500rwhp Mustang and have done everything from replacing cams and valvesprings to motor and transmission swaps, so working on cars is nothing new to me...just working on Subarus is :D

Any advice? And also, is there anything else I should replace while I'm in there, seals or sensors or anything? Thanks a lot!

Chris

On ultimatesubaru.net you can probably get step-by-step advice. These forums are pretty 2005+ LGT centric.

Most folks into maintenance also replace the front cam shaft seals, oil pump o-ring, and a few other items at around 100K when they change the belt. On my 97 OBW I changed the water pump as well - still going strong at 175,000 miles.

Garages charge around $600 for the whole deal.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. I looked at the Haynes manual and it says you don't even need a pulley puller to get the crank pulley off, which is really all I was worried about. Seems like a pretty straightforward replacement. And yeah, I'll probably replace the camshaft seals and front crank seal (is that the eone you're talking about?) while I'm in there. The water pump, maybe, if my rents feel like spending the cash. Either way, sounds like a boredom-curing weekend project...thanks!

I would look around closely under the hood to see if a mechanic has affixed a sticker somewhere indicating a timing belt change and the date & milage it was done at. Why do it again if it was done at the proper time?
It is still ugly.

I would look around closely under the hood to see if a mechanic has affixed a sticker somewhere indicating a timing belt change and the date & milage it was done at. Why do it again if it was done at the proper time?

On that engine it's not scheduled until after the first 100K miles.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Sorry guys...I know this was the wrong forum, but it didn't seem like the others were getting much traffic and I needed an answer fast. I've been on forums long enough to know how they work, certain areas get all the traffic and the most knowledgeable people hang around there...that's why I posted it here ;)

Either way I'm gonna do it w/ my dad this weekend, doesn't seem any harder than anything else...

No need to be sorry. '97 LGT is the same engine as '97 OBW & the discussion is equally valid for both cars.

+1 to the Cam seals - one of those blew on my '97. Water pump is another good one and so is the alternator, although it's so easy to get to on this car, if the one that's in there is ok, you can pro'ly wait on that until its really needed.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Archived