LegacyGT.com

Thin Sheet Metal?

Hmmm... I was looking at a 2001 Legacy with 69,000 miles (110,000 kms) on it, no dints or blemishes. You think the dealer did some body work on it?

Depends on who drove it. I owned my '96 from 2000 to 2005. Sold it to my dads boss and he said, "my wife has a volvo with 70,000 miles and its 4 years old and it looks like it has 70,000 miles. This car has 70,000 miles and is nine years old and it looks like it should only have 15,000 miles."

I really kept that car intact.

That, and people are idiots. I try to park away from others, regradless of what car I'm driving.

Amen brother, you can't legislate for ignorant drivers. I park as far away from a main entrance as possible because these people are too lazy to walk any distance:icon_mad:

My wife's '05 Durango has the soda can doors as well. I mean truly and honestly they are as easy to put an impression in as a soda can. I farted once getting out of it and dented the door.

Change your diet or keep away from Mexico :lol:

Change your diet or keep away from Mexico :lol:

There's more to it than that. Trust me, I've been in Peru for past two weeks and I'm afraid to fart.

Experience is something you don't get until right after you needed it.

Well thanks for the heads up.

Here in Ottawa we get at least one ice strom a year. That is when I (and all my neighbours too!) take the stick-side of my snow brush and start to try to release the door. Once inside you can get the heat on and that thaws things out a bit.

This approach worked fine on a 10 year old Honda Civic. Then I tried it on my son's 4 year old Cavalier and noticed that the roof bobbed up and down like a giant coke can. Should I buy a 2.5i sedan I shall be much more cautious.

How do you guys in ice storm country handle this ?

Cheers from the Great White North to all you hockey fans!

We went through some seriously wicked hail last week, and I really thought it was going to break the windshield. We're talking up to quarter-sized hail. Luckily, we were south of the really nasty stuff, up to golfball-sized. I thought we were going to have nasty dents all over the body. Nope. The ~2001 F150 next to us lost some paint on the hood, but we had no dents at all, no scratches. Keep in mind there are plusses and minuses to thin sheetmetal. I guess flexibility can indeed be a plus.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I brought it to my salesperson's attention. On a recent visit to the dealer for service I asked the sales dude if they found the cause and if it was still happening. Turned out to be one of sales people (a larger sales person) was leaning his ass on the cars when he was showing them to customers. That was all it took to dent the sheet metal. :lol:

hah what a fat man...hahahah actually made me laugh when i thought about it.

The Japanese don't have their own steel industry therefore why waste precious metal on something that is only there to cover. The real strength is in the unibody. Take a look at a Mitsubishi Zero fighter from WW2. Same philosophy.....I always owned Japanese cars with the exception of owning an Audi TT for a brief time. I marveled at the sheet metal for it's durability. The car was as solid as a Panzer!

The real strength is in the unibody. Take a look at a Mitsubishi Zero fighter from WW2.

My Mitsubishi left me with a broken left femur (completely snapped into three pieces) and a broken right wrist...

http://www.mcnproductions.com/misc/accid.jpg

The Galant (1995) was rated "poor" in offset crashes according to a consumer's report show I saw a couple months after. So, while I applaud the safety accolades of Subaru, I'll have to respectfully disagree on anything made by Mitsubishi. :p

-Mike-

Well thanks for the heads up.

Here in Ottawa we get at least one ice strom a year. That is when I (and all my neighbours too!) take the stick-side of my snow brush and start to try to release the door. Once inside you can get the heat on and that thaws things out a bit.

How do you guys in ice storm country handle this ?

I've had 4 Honda's, 1 Acura and a VW GTI. All had door lock problems in the winter. Especially during an ice storm or after washing the car at a touchless wash.

With the Legacy GT you just unlock the door with the remote then open the door with your hand. It's that simple and it works every time. I've driven my "05" Legacy GT through 2 Ottawa winters (04-05, 05-06).

Yes the VW GTI has stronger sheet metal. In 4 years, I replaced both door locks and the lock on the hatch. Every month something broke on that car.

The sheetmetal on my wife's '03 Passat is definitely thicker than my '05 GT. At least the dings are easier to massage out according to the paintless repair guy I use .
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

The Japanese don't have their own steel industry therefore why waste precious metal on something that is only there to cover.

You just made that up!

Tell it to the Japan Iron and Steel Federation. They report 2005 Japanese Crude Steel Production at 112.47 million tons.

Archived