LegacyGT.com

slapped on some new (to me) JDM bilsteins...

lhsa

thanks to whitetiger/froggert, i am now proudly riding on JDM bilsteins rev A with JDM "Black Rock" springs. Love the ride! its only a touch stiffer and firmer than stock suspension, but the floatiness is gone! the ride is definitely softer than stock wrx sti suspension, if that provides something to measure against.

the springs were supposedly for a wagon, but they feel completely natural on my sedan. the only minor negative wish that the rear rode a touch higher, but i think its just the way our suspension looks. its hard to get a butt higher look. the ride is so good that i'm keeping them on and foregoing other springs options at this time.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/LHSA-LGT/IMG_0467Large.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/LHSA-LGT/IMG_0468Large.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/LHSA-LGT/IMG_0469Large.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/LHSA-LGT/IMG_0473Large.jpg

ya, i'm really happy with the new suspension. the handling is slightly awkward without an alignment, but real tight. now i think i need a brake upgrade...with all the power and ride, my brakes are the weak link!

Looks good.

Install an extra rear ruber spring seat on the bottom of the rear springs to raise it up about 7 mm, then it will look perfect!

how does this raise height if the space between the spring seats is a fixed number? All you do is increase preload (which may help height actually). You'd need to lengthen the distance between the mounting points of the shock to 'raise' the car

how does this raise height if the space between the spring seats is a fixed number? All you do is increase preload (which may help height actually). You'd need to lengthen the distance between the mounting points of the shock to 'raise' the car

A longer spring means a higher car, not more pre-load. The rubber spacer makes the spring like a longer spring.

I know I did it on my car.:)

so, I assume you didn't tighten the nuts down all the way on the tophats then? Because....if you did, you added preload and didn't affect shock length (which might have the side effect of adding height).

so, I assume you didn't tighten the nuts down all the way on the tophats then? Because....if you did, you added preload and didn't affect shock length (which might have the side effect of adding height).

What are you smoking man?:icon_twis JK

It is not like the shocks are extended out as far as they will go.

OEM springs (with full weight on) sit at a certain height. iON springs (with full weight on) sit about 25 mm lower. iON springs with a spacer on sit at 25 mm lower minus the size of the spacer, which is around 7 mm, so the car sits 18 mm lower then factory, or 7 mm higher then with just the iONs alone.

You cannot adj for preload on the Bilsteins.

you don't get what I'm saying do you?

If the space between the lower spring seat and upper perch (tophat) is fixed, how does adding a spacer in the middle change that? On a height adjustable coilover, you adjust the spacing between the mounts, thereby adjusting height. With fixed shocks, you don't have that luxury unless you have something like Koni Yellows with adjustable perches.

you don't get what I'm saying do you?

If the space between the lower spring seat and upper perch (tophat) is fixed, how does adding a spacer in the middle change that? On a height adjustable coilover, you adjust the spacing between the mounts, thereby adjusting height. With fixed shocks, you don't have that luxury unless you have something like Koni Yellows with adjustable perches.

Then how does a different spring change the height?

BTW the space between the lower spring seat and upper perch is not fixed. It is very dependant on the spring (or whatever else) is in between.

• 4 months later...
they came as a set with my JDM bilsteins, but i've seen them advertised in japanese legacy mags. black rock also makes brake kits, as well. they are supposed to be progressive springs f/r from 20-30 lbs.

Archived