LegacyGT.com

All-Season tire specifics (decision time)

Boulderguy

It's looking like the Kumho's at this point, I'd feel a little better if I could get an estimate on how long I can expect them to last but no one seems able to do it.

None of us know how hard you drive:iam:. They are going to last longer than Pirellis or Michelins and are going to give the same level of performance:icon_lol: for a lot less $$$$.

My Michelins still looked good at 50Km and the Kuhmos are going to do even better.....Just buy them and enjoy!!!:lol:

I haven't read the other post here, but during the F1 race last weekend, Michelin had an add talking about some new All-Season high performance tire. If it's anything like there Alpin PA2 snow tire, they will be a good choice. I had PA2's this past winter and was amazed at the grip. I think they are equal to or better then my Summer only Dunlop FM901's.

I can't remember the name of the tire but you should be able to find it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - Got the Kumho's last week, install cost was $70 which made the total cost around $450 for new shoes. So far they seem to be handling admirably altho I haven't pushed them hard yet. I did have a chance to drive in an ice storm - what the hell's going on with the weather lately?!? - and they did well there too. Overall I'm very happy with them & just pray they'll outlive the Falkens that only lasted 10,900 miles!

Here's a question - during the install the shop said one of the lug nuts was cross-threaded and they had to break it off. They claim whomever had last tightened the nuts (me) had done it. I had finger-tightened them at least 10-15 turns before taking the breaker bar to them for the last 1/2 turn.

Is this just BS to cover their screw-up or is there some chance that I actually did this?

Sounds like BS: much better chance of screwing the threads up with power tools than hand tools, IMHO. That said, it probably doesn't really matter as it should be a relatively cheap fix. People make mistakes - I say don't worry about it. I had a wheel come off my Contour once, which was somewhat 'exciting', and the shop I had had work done 1.5 weeks earlier covered all the repairs via their insurance, without making much of a fuss. Surprising!

Keep us updated on the Kumho performance, eh?

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

I'm looking to replace Falken ZE-512's, they've been a great handling tire & sticky as hell but have gone bald in under 12,000 miles. That's way too quick.

Man, the Flaken Ziex 512s are my favorite All Season tire - z-rated and grippy, yet good enough for all year. I've had mine for about 5K miles and no signs of wear... I hope they last longer than yours...

^ +1.

I've had longer mileage with my sets, but they're definitely not the longest-lasting, regardless of how aggressively one drives or how religiously one tends to their pressures.

Great for everything but packed-snow/ice.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I need to put my 2 cents in here. IMO, hter is no such thing as an All season UHP tire. An all season tire is a compromise. Most don't work very good either.

Example; My wife had a Dodge Stratus coupe (Mitsubishi in Dodge clothing). I put the Toyo Proxes 4 tire on. Tha first winter, the car would not move in 2 inches of snow! I had to drag it out of the bushes in my driveway three times that year. So i bought the LGT.

I need to put my 2 cents in here. IMO, hter is no such thing as an All season UHP tire. An all season tire is a compromise. Most don't work very good either.

Example; My wife had a Dodge Stratus coupe (Mitsubishi in Dodge clothing). I put the Toyo Proxes 4 tire on. Tha first winter, the car would not move in 2 inches of snow! I had to drag it out of the bushes in my driveway three times that year. So i bought the LGT.

startus vs. legacy in snow....legacy FTW!

Proxes and the Pirelli are the worst out of the three choices listed for snow, but better performers than the ASX. The AXS will serve you better in the snow. Good choice....Falken and WR's are good too.

What is considered heavy for a tire?

(stock tire sizes)

Avon Tech M550 A/S = 23 lbs.

Stock 215/45/17:

PNero 21lbs.

Falken 20.8lbs.

ASX 21lbs.

RE92's 23lbs.

Avon 23lbs.

2 lbs. per tire is, i think, equal to 8lb. more per tire when it comes to rotational weight.

Here's where it get interesting.....

A common upgrade size...225/45/17

PNero 23lbs.

Avon 27lbs.!

Archived