LegacyGT.com

Roof Racks for Bikes

viperboy

three should be np, four will depend on if the bikes conflict with each other. juvi bikes will cause the most conflict. if you go with an aftermarket rack just buy the next larger crossbar and trim to your taste.

3 bikes:

--[--<---

--->--]--

--[--<---

so using the stock roof rack u can get more than 2 up there? casue the salesguy told me that you can only get 2 on there and it wont accomadate more than that. do u have to buy a rack to make the 3rd bike fit up there? thanks

the only variable that may not allow the 3rd bike is how much bar the bike attachment takes up. my old attachments, sportworks bob ratchet, took a ton of bar space, about 10-12"'s each. even so i think it would have allowed for one more in the middle.

how many bikes do you want to carry? 2 dh or even fr bikes may max out the allowable #'s. i took off my sticker but i assume it's 100#'s.

what style of attachments do you favor? fork mounts are the most stable but you need to deal with the wheels. it's possible that 3 fork mounts w/wheel holders may take more room than 3 uprights. btw, i would stay away from any attachment the clamps onto the down tube. modern frames may crush like a coke can.

i'm currently running 2 thule sidearms. i know for sure there is enough room for a 3rd.

My friend with the Outback has 2 Yakima Viper trays mounted on the outside of the rails. He does this so the trays will not block the sun roof. But since he doesn't have anything directly over his roof, it certainly looks like 2 more trays can fit on the car.

Archived