LegacyGT.com

How restrictive is the stock resonator?

whitetiger

few people done this.. you just get more of a boxer rumble than anything.. I had a few people that left the stock resonator and replaced the mufflers with straight pipes instead (a la SRT4 style) and it's not as loud as you think.. even my car I replaced the entire catback section with just a 2.5" straight pipe that terminates at the end of the rear axle and it's fairly simple and not as loud as it can be.. the cats acts as resonators anyways.. I have a few videos of my car in the video with a the straight pipe on and it's just fine.. cops dont care either cuz it's not loud at all.. besides, cops are too busy looking for large mufflers and huge cans, well, I dont have any ;)

i see.. the reason why i ask, is because when i was crucial catless.. my factory resonator was breaking apart inside.. called subaru, made an appointment.. put in my stock exhaust.. (left my crucial uppipe on though) and now the noise is gone.. so i took it to the dealer anyway... and the idiots at wayne suburu in north jersey (no offense Chruisser) blamed my uppipe... so when i put my crucial exhaust back in an my resonator starts rattling again, i'll go back to throw it in the managers face... :icon_twis i'm pissed..

• 3 weeks later...

derffred, resonator went fully catless eh? I'm dealing with a internally rattling resonator, with a stock third cat. You are the second person who has been catless with a resonator that's rattling.

I'm hoping my third cat is intact, and having the same trouble you did with just the resonator going.

Any chance you've found out exactly what went inside? Anybody know what aftermarket options are out there? Really don't want to go with just a straight pipe if I can help it...

-B

no clue... but the noise was definitely from the resonator.. when i put my crucial exhaust back on... the rattle went away... so maybe the piece blew out or something.. i don't know

Archived