LegacyGT.com

Loud Cooling Fan

I dropped off my car at Somerset Subaru to get my cooling fan inspected. A week ago, The driver's side fan started running a lot faster than usual. Usually it kicks on and off quietly but you can hear it if the windows are open. Now it kicks on when the car gets up to normal operating temperature and stays on until I turn the car off and it's a lot louder.

Subaru just called me and said there's nothing wrong with my car. WTF? Am I imagining this? I just don't want to get stranded on the side of the Turnpike on my way to or from work 40 miles away. Anyone else experience this problem? My car is stock with the exception on a K&N drop in filter. I had a typhoon in the car for 25,000 miles but removed it to fix the gasket that lines the wall.

Look at post #455 in that thread for scans of what my dealership had to replace on my car to get the problem fixed. SOA should be aware of this by now since enough people have had to come in for it. I'm personally shocked there hasn't been a recall yet.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

WOW..I read the first post before making my own thread and thought the fan was on when the car was off too. Great, sounds like I'm in for some fun I'm pretty sure my car is out of warranty. 52,000 miles Thanks guys.

OC is right to be shocked. This is not an unusual problem, and Subaru knows it. That ECU will be $800. Call the zone rep and complain. Subaru can afford the $800 easier than you can.

I'm pretty sure my car is out of warranty. 52,000 miles Thanks guys.
If you're in the US, you have a Federal Emissions Extended Warranty that's good for 8yrs/80000mi and it covers the ECU.

Archived