LegacyGT.com

Inspired by Hogmeat

rosta

I did a quick search and it seems no one has posted anything like this yet.

Like many still with their stock exhaust, I too was annoyed by how low the tips hung. Not wanting to spend $38 for Kartboy hangers and still wanting a solution. It dawned on me to try hose clamps. If the aftermarket hangers are firmer than stock I figure squeezing out the slop shouldn't do much damage. I installed the hose clamps only on the 2 muffler hangers (4 total).

The end results are a reduction in gap by about 15mm. I only measured the right side and it's gap started at 47mm. It now sits 32mm from top/center of tip to cutout. The left is actually 30mm so I tried squeezing the right side a bit more. Visually the difference is subtle but they definitely look better. I never bothered with lateral measurements but they are still fairly centered. I don't even remember how centered they were when I started.

It's roughly a $3-4 mod that can easily be reversed. I started with 3" clamps but ended up snipping off 1-1/4" or so.

The only question I have for our exhaust gurus is: Will there be any negative effects (besides possible NVH) with this mod? They aren't fully rigid, there's still a little bit of movement.

I drove it to Lowes to pick up washers for Hogmeats mod and there aren't any new NVH's. That'll change after I engineer a leak in my exhaust. :lol:

I know: :needpics:

Maybe tomorrow. It's not rocket science and I bet most get it.

Maybe Hogmeat and I can put together package deal.:lol:

Ross

I'm wondering if at some point the hose-clamp(s) may "eat" into and away the underlying rubber.

This should take a while to occur, though - but check under every once in a while, especailly if you start noticing the muffler either coming looser or start hanging lower again.

*_IF_* such wear occurs, the only concern would be to catch it before the rubber hangers deteriorated to such a state that they'd allow your muffler to actually drop/scrape. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I've actually done this before too. I found that using 2 thick zip ties (normal thickness - not the mega ones) on each hanger to be ideal. Hose clamps tend to loosen up over time and with vibration - especially when under any pressure. Zip ties are a "hold it till it fails completely" solution. So - set it once and forget it.

If you are worried about duribility - i'll say when I did this on my Grand Prix in April of 2004 - they were still perfect when I sold in in May of 2006. That's two harsh Iowa winters and 100* Iowa summers...

BTW - I'm honored. I haven't done this to LGT as I didnt think they were bad - but I might have to slap some on since it's a free and really easy mod.

Home modders FTW!!

(just don't gut your uppipes)

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

^ You know, that Zip-Tie idea certainly sounds excellent.....

They're definitely more corrosion-resistant than mild-steel or low-grade aluminum.

Good call!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
And herer I was expecting a video of you on a creeper rolling around in the street and giggling like a girl :lol:

Archived