LegacyGT.com

Saaburu 9-6x?

I was talking to the service manager at the local Saab dealership who was telling me about the new 9-6x that will be coming out. It will be a Saabified version of the Legacy GT that fits in size-wise between the 9-3 and 9-5 (Wouldn't it be a 9-4 then?). It will be interesting to see what changes they make. It's going to take more than additional sound deadening insulation and a spiffed up interior to seperate the two. Chris S.

[quote name='powbmps']I was talking to the service manager at the local Saab dealership who was telling me about the new 9-6x that will be coming out. It will be a Saabified version of the Legacy GT that fits in size-wise between the 9-3 and 9-5 (Wouldn't it be a 9-4 then?). It will be interesting to see what changes they make. It's going to take more than additional sound deadening insulation and a spiffed up interior to seperate the two. Chris S.[/quote] Personally, I'd love to see a saab-ized version of the Legacy. It'd probably have a upgraded body kit, upgraded audio I assume, more features, and maybe more body colors and interior colors. I doubt it'd have more sound deadening, if it had anymore your ears would ring from the slience. - Mike

[quote name='powbmps']I was talking to the service manager at the local Saab dealership who was telling me about the new 9-6x that will be coming out. It will be a Saabified version of the Legacy GT that fits in size-wise between the 9-3 and 9-5 (Wouldn't it be a 9-4 then?). It will be interesting to see what changes they make. It's going to take more than additional sound deadening insulation and a spiffed up interior to seperate the two. Chris S.[/quote] Well, he is partially correct, but only in the fact that it will share the Legacy Platform. The Model code is called 01G and it will be a platform mate with the 2006 Subaru "00X" 7 passenger SUV. There is a thread in one of the forums on the "Subaru Tribeca" (I hope they don't choose that name). The 01G (9-6X) is slated to go into production March, 2006 Rob Catron

I think saab should start designing their own cars, and stop taking other companies designs, putting a new front end and name on it, and then jacking the price up a little bit. I realize its a "business partnership" but what has saab or gm for that matter given back to subaru? Don't get me wrong, i like what saab did to the front of the 9-2x, but they didn't really do anything in designing the car, all the did was change a few pieces.

The legacy and outback are the SAME platform. suspension height is different and some trim items to differentiate the models. nuts and bolts, 98% of the Legacy and Outback are the same. Subaru only has two platforms right now. Big and little. 1)Legacy/Outback/Baja(old outback holdover) - proposed new SUV. 2)The Impreza sedan and wagon, Outback Sport became the Forrester, WRX, and WRX STi. All the same underneath the clothes. Evidently the new suv will be based on the Legacy/Outback chassis, which might make it more of a car-based deal, like the honda Pilot (accord), Lexus LX, Infinity SUVs, etc, which are more refined, but slightly smaller/lighter than truck-based SUVS like the Explorer, Durango, and GM flavors of the month. I don't like SUVs on principle, but I think people should get what they want, and it will be interesting to see what happens. If it is profitable, and pressed to compete on features in that market, we may see some trickle-over of features from it. Addition: If GM has given anything to Subaru it is supply chain access. GM is one of the single largest car manufacturers in terms of numbers of units, and they own a lot of their own supply chain. They may have given Subaru some access to those parts suppliers and sub-assemblers, transportation and logistics, as part of GM investing in Subaru's profitability through owning shares. I agree though, Subaru giving Saab the 9-2X was a favor with little pay-off, and I think Subaru has realized it. I've heard Subaru/Fuji Heavy industries isn't so keen on lending out it's engineering quality and AWD system without a much more meaningful reciprocation. I think with this SUV thing, it is going to be more about getting a small 1% company like Subaru and Saab (maybe .5%) into the lucrative SUV market, by sharing development costs. neither company could do that on their own, it would be too expensive. Subaru hopes to make some money on SUVs, and gather a new image. A Subaru SUV would have enough of an new and unknown market presence, it might skirt their down-market brand image, and get more new customers into a Subaru, and that will hopefully tow their car reputation up with it, because the current cars are better than their current market awareness. That's what they are counting on as the payoff. Saab just wants to post a profit, so that full parental GM won't pull the plug on their other cars. I don't think Saab has been profitable for some time. They don't have Volvo's engineering reputation, or sales volume. Saab just needs to put some numbers on the board, so the General won't forget about them.

Leg/OB same platform, but not chassis. The OB is so different as to be classified as a truck chassis, Leggy is obviously a car chassis. The new SUV will be on the OB chassis, no? Also I don't think that the Saab and Subaru SUVs will be on the same platform, I thought the Saab was to be constructed on one of GM's existing platforms, if not one of the 'global' ones. I think I read this somewhere, hmm... Motor Trend...? Time will tell.

[quote name='3.7L H6']Leg/OB same platform, but not chassis. The OB is so different as to be classified as a truck chassis, Leggy is obviously a car chassis. The new SUV will be on the OB chassis, no? Also I don't think that the Saab and Subaru SUVs will be on the same platform, I thought the Saab was to be constructed on one of GM's existing platforms, if not one of the 'global' ones. I think I read this somewhere, hmm... Motor Trend...? Time will tell.[/quote] OB has same platform and chassis as Legacy, it's classified a truck due to increased ground clearance over previous model and I believe this was done for average model range gas mileage purposes. The new Saab SUV will be based on the GM Envoy / Chevy Trailblazer platform.

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='3.7L H6']Leg/OB same platform, but not chassis. The OB is so different as to be classified as a truck chassis, Leggy is obviously a car chassis. The new SUV will be on the OB chassis, no? Also I don't think that the Saab and Subaru SUVs will be on the same platform, I thought the Saab was to be constructed on one of GM's existing platforms, if not one of the 'global' ones. I think I read this somewhere, hmm... Motor Trend...? Time will tell.[/quote] OB has same platform and chassis as Legacy, it's classified a truck due to increased ground clearance over previous model and I believe this was done for average model range gas mileage purposes. The new Saab SUV will be based on the GM Envoy / Chevy Trailblazer platform.[/quote] The GM Envoy / Chevy Trailblazer version is the 9-7X - different than the upcoming 00X based 9-6X Rob

[quote name='3.7L H6']Leg/OB same platform, but not chassis. The OB is so different as to be classified as a truck chassis, Leggy is obviously a car chassis. The new SUV will be on the OB chassis, no? Also I don't think that the Saab and Subaru SUVs will be on the same platform, I thought the Saab was to be constructed on one of GM's existing platforms, if not one of the 'global' ones. I think I read this somewhere, hmm... Motor Trend...? Time will tell.[/quote] SAAB is Definately going to sell models based both the 9-7X on the GM Trailblazer/Envoy platform and the 9-6X (name still not decided) on the Legacy/Outback Platform (dubbed the Subaru 00X / SAAB 01G). Yes, the Legacy/Outback are indeed the same platform, chassis, or whatever you want to call it :) Two important notes for the Subaru 00X/ SAAB 01G is that SIA in Indiana is going to be the sole producer of these vehicles. In other words, SIA's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries will NOT produce the model in Japan first or even concurrently. Also, it is going to be a "premium vehicle" -- which will help define Subaru's new direction. There is a lot of enthusiasm at SIA currently about this vehicle. Rob

3.7L, Gumby and IwannaSportSedan both said it right: [quote]The legacy and outback are the SAME platform. Suspension height is different and some trim items to differentiate the models. nuts and bolts, 98% of the Legacy and Outback are the same.[/quote] Gumby, the 9-7X will be based on the GMC Envoy/ Chevrolet Trailblazer, while the 9-6X is supposed to be the joint venture with Subaru's 7-Pax, the Halifax, Tribeca, or whatever they are going to call it. I'm not sure how joint venture it will be, we will just have to see. It's too bad people don't see SUV's for what they truly are, a glorified Wagon. Wagons can do most of what most smaller SUV's can but are generally a little more efficient and quite a bit more stable. Too bad because I think Saab's 9-3X wagon concept seen below has great lines to it and with AWD would be a nice Subaru competitor all on it's own, not a retrofit of an FHI model. [img]http://www.gizmo.com.au/pics/2186_03.jpg[/img]

My dad was the first I heard call an SUV a glorified wagon and it's so true, so it stuck. Just trying to help people keep the facts straight. :) Anyone else think a similar profile to that 9-3X Wagon Concept would look good for the next Forester?

Actually, Saab design great looking cars and concept cars. a few years ago, they have designed a high-performnace 2 seater hatch back. and, now, every company is copying that design, including Aston Martin. i real conern about saab is their resale value.

Archived