LegacyGT.com

XM Roady XT Install (pics)

Fox06LegacyGT

Picked up a Delphi Roady XT over Memorial Day Weekend and decided to show you all how my install went. The Roady XT is fairly small, but not small enough to fit inside the cubby unfortunately so I opted to mount it with the supplied air vent mount. Placed the antenna on the rear deck just below the center brakelight and ran the wires all the way up the passenger side.

Have to say I had fun taking apart my dash and other parts for the first time (kind of scary pulling on things so hard) but managed to get everything off that I needed to to run the wires cleanly through the dash and into the air vent to make the wires almost non-existant. After a day of driving reception is pretty good for the XM, unfortunately I don't have much slack in the trunk if I need to move the antenna, but for now this will do. It's tough to say how good it is because where I live seems to be a horrible place for satellites anyway (cell phone reception is very spotty). But overall the install went very well and I am very pleased with the Roady XT. It's sunset color matches almost perfectly with the interior color of the car and flows very nicely.

Pic 1-Forward View

Pic 2-Pic of Cig. Lighter location with it removed (XM plugged into lighter, placed underneath shifter trim where it now rests)

Pic 3-Antenna

Pic 4-Side view of wires going into air vent

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-Mike

xminstall1.jpg.6a7709322f2c059b9b4a9f48bb541dbd.jpg

xminstall2.jpg.ceb539af70a5de4b141bc2bf26787dd7.jpg

xminstall3.jpg.5abd5b6f6348b5098e3a7d58ffa6b81c.jpg

xminstall4.jpg.bb982e7fbdfdc6008a3d0a6eb4574306.jpg

looks good.

the new smaller XM antennas suck ass. go buy one of the older larger ones off of ebay, they work a hell of a lot better. If you are going to have an ugly black wart on your car then it should at least work well.

looks good.

the new smaller XM antennas suck ass. go buy one of the older larger ones off of ebay, they work a hell of a lot better. If you are going to have an ugly black wart on your car then it should at least work well.

interesting.. i never heard that. i dont have any trouble with my sportscaster antenna, but of course, how would i know how much better it could be without trying.. pics of big ugly one?

The Roady XT is fairly small, but not small enough to fit inside the cubby unfortunately so I opted to mount it with the supplied air vent mount.

should have gotten the sportscaster..fits perfect in my cubby and matches my interior lights..

Jweller- antenna isnt that bad so far....know a few people with XM in my town and mine only goes out where there's go out and its not that often. It will suffice for now...will have to see how it works this weekend when I go to Boston.

eb50- Would've liked to fit it in the cubby but I felt the sportscaster was a little too small for my tastes. I actually like the Roady XT a lot after driving with it for a few days...now if I could only keep my eyes on the road. Lol.

• 5 months later...
Does anyone know if the Roady XT can fit into the dashboard cubby??? And if so, has anyone seen any pics of it there on any threads?

Want that unit, but only willing to put it into cubby.....

Thanks

it does not. get a sportscaster if u want it to fit

• 3 months later...
How did you route your antenna to the trunk

I can tell you in the wagon I routed it behind the head liner to the trunk door than underneath the seal. Mine antenna sits right out on the edge of the roof centered.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

How did you route your antenna to the trunk

I routed through the vents into the back of the cubby area, and then down to the passenger side. I then placed it under the carpet up under the dash, through the kick panel, and then along the side of the car by just tucking it under the moulding. Then I think I ran it under the rear seat and through the small opening in between the rear seats. I then placed the slack along and inside the plastic that covers the bar that attaches to the trunk. That way when the trunk is open it doesn't catch. It then goes straight out the back of the trunk where the antenna is mounted.

Hope that helps

If you can see the sky, you should have near perfect reception. The only problem is with high buildings and hills/mountains. you can get caught in their shadow and lose the signal. The smaller antennas use the metal they are sitting on as part of the antenna. Move your's farther out onto the middle of the trunk so there is more surface area around the antenna, that will help. Additionally, moving it to the roof will help alot too as the spoiler and rear window won't shadow it then.

Did you cut out the cig lighter and stuff it behind the dash? They do make hardwire kits for the roady XT. Panavise also makes a mount for our car....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/IMG_0387.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/mwiener2/IMG_0387.jpg

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice

Here's my sirius install. I made a simple bracket from plastic and secured it in the cubby with velcro(The cubby is still able to close for added security.) Then I hard wired the power. I put the antenna under the third brake light cover on the rear shelf- it works well so far. I just wish the display and buttons were red to match the rest of the stock illumination. Well worth it. For those considering satellite radio I highly recommend it.

130_3003.thumb.jpg.633224a9c9a5f378a62bbfbaeb8f5b34.jpg

130_3005.thumb.jpg.169a4ab22635d7a723131acab37ba76e.jpg

130_3002.thumb.jpg.47561ce8a1b21fbc584df4b48ad745e0.jpg

Archived