LegacyGT.com

Engine or Tire Hummmm...

firewalker77

I've got a 05 Legacy GT with about 28000 mi. still have the original potenza 215s on. My question is when I'm cruisiing about 60mph or even coming off freeway at 40mph, I notice a humming noise. Not sure if its natural for the turbo, or coming from the tires. Planning on letting the dealer check it out. Anyone ever experience this weirdness?:iam:

If you touch the throttle a little bit, without really accellerating much, or travel at the same road speed in different gears... does the pitch of the sound change?

If the pitch changes with engine RPM, or adding engine load, it could be turbo, exhaust, intake or some other engine associated sound.

Turbos (if you can hear them... usually you can't hear it very loudly.) usually whistle or whine. Listen to a semi truck accellerate up a hill on the highway... THAT is a turbo... and a BIG one.

If pitch changes, or comes and goes with certain road speeds, or changes with pavement differences, then it is likely the tires. Tires do tend to howl as they get worn down to the harder core rubber.

Tires are much more likely to be causing more obvious sound, especially with 28k miles on them.

I have no direct experience with this on a legacy as I am still in the process of saving and preparing for one... but I have experienced tire noise before.

If concerned, by all means have a dealer tech come along for a ride, and listen to it.

It sounds alot like tire noise. My WRX (and most every car that i have had) made a humming noise that got progressivly worse as the tires wore. Have you looked at the remaining tread to see what is left? I don't think there is much to worry about unless you get vibration along with the noise, but then again I am a stereo installer not a mechanic. keep us posted...

Guys i'm hoping it wasn't needing new tires that quick. I do drive alot, and having 28k seems soon,(was hoping to get at least 40k) but I guess these original stock Potenzas are definitely not one of the better ones, at least from what I've seen on these forums. Also b4 I sink the $$$ into that, I will indeed have a dealer tech take a ride with me to confirm.:)

Archived