LegacyGT.com

Big Improvment after Fuel System Cleaner on 05 LGT

Was bored the other day walking around the eisles at Auto Zone and picked up a bottle of "GumOut Fuel System Cleaner w/Regane" (yellow bottle) and I have to say I was VERY Impressed by the results.

I have a bone-stock 05 LGT (5MT w/ 19.000 miles) and after adding the additive I've noticed the car idling a lot smoother (no more put...put...idles that everybody says are "normal for the boxer engine). I've also noticed there is significantly less lag in the acceleration and it's a smoother band of power. Not sure on the claimed improvement in gas mileage but I'll post when I find out.

For $7.99 I think this stuff is well worth it and plan on adding it to my regular maintenance (probably a bottle every oil change).

Try it out for yourself.

* and, no I don't work part-time for "GumOut" :iam:

I used to think all those chemicals were not a good idea.

However, I used Chevron Techroline on my '98 Outback when it had about 100,000 miles on it. It did improve the performance.

I would be surprised if it had any affect on cars with less miles.

...oh, and I use Safeway gas...

I think most of those product are just octane boosters. Thats probably why the car feels stronger overall.

Anything thats sold as octane booster usually doesnt contain enough of anything to boost octane more than 0.1

I've been using them for years. If I wait a long time between uses I usually can tell the difference in the way the engine performs. Usually it idles smoother and seems to accelerate smoother. They usually want you to use their product every 3000 miles but I generally use around every 10000. It may all be in my head but the car feels like it runs better after a can of the cheveron tech stuff.

Chevron's Techron fuel additive is one of the few that actually does anything. Beware the placebo effect.

:)

What he said. We use a similar product in our outboard motor (Yamaha fuel injected 200). You can buy Techron in two different sizes, for 12 or 20 gallon tanks.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

What I don't understand is ... why does Chevron sell a fuel injector cleaner and a fuel injector cleaner called Techron? The first stuff is real cheap at Costco ($10 for 4, 20 oz bottles). The Techron is really expensive and rarely goes on sale.

I've only used Techron... but I'm tempted to use the cheaper product...

Another few more datapoints for everyone:

1993 Mazda MX6 V6, 163k miles - used Techron 4 times in its life, 1 Jiffy-lube FI cleaning ages ago (I never go there anymore!), and always used high-octane fuel. Still gives 30+ mpg highway (even though it's been sitting around since I got the Subie last year.) To this day, it starts up and runs without a hitch, too (though the old gas is starting to piss it off.)

Another datapoint - parent's Pontiac "dustbuster van" (Trans Sport), uses regular fuel and no in-tank cleaners. TBI needs manual cleaning with carb cleaner once every 15-30k miles, otherwise mileage goes to crap. Never bothered to use in-tank cleaners, since it's so easy to get to the TBI, which usually has a golden color all over it before cleaning.

The point of all this? Some cars need it more often, some less. Doing it every time seems a little excessive for any car. But, if it works for you, then go for it...

I'll give Techron a try after a few more k-miles (9k now)... then I'll see if it makes any difference and whether to increase the usage rate, or not.

There is a difference between the fuel injectors in our LGTs and older cars, ours have more and much smaller orifices. Personally, I do not want to learn I need to clean those injectors by noting poor performance, I want excellent performance ALL the time, thus preventative measures.

And since many/most of us have pushed our car's performance envelope to a greater or lesser degree, and use that performance at least occasionally, can you imagine what one bad injector does to a piston under 18psi? I can.

Archived