LegacyGT.com

Help with Ksports...creaking in front.

Ridgeracer

Hey all,

I have a set of Ksports that have been creaking alot in the front for weeks now. I mainly happens when I turn the wheel left or right. It is very random. It never happens at the same time. I have tried everything to fix the problem but to no avail. I'm not sure what else I can do now. Any suggestion would be helpful. thx

Things done thus far:

Readjusted preload...4 times..!!

Cleaned and greased rubber bushings for spring perch(top and bottom).

Cleaned spring perch and used a hammer with perch wrench to lock.

Locked upper and lower ride height lock rings with hammer.

Did a four wheel alignment with stock settings.

Removed pillow ball, cleaned and relubed

Tightened locknut on top with a wrench to hold shock shaft.

Checked bolt/nuts on top hat

Disconnected sway bar in front...no help

Im sooo tired of pulling the front wheels....please help guys/gals

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Well with the front wheels in the air, there is no noise. If it was the H brace then you would still hear something right? BTW about 6 months ago I check those bolt and they would not budge. Its like SIA put gorilla torque on it. Thanks for the heads up anyways.

any chance that your brake line mounts are hitting something? That might be worth a try...

Nope....I used zip ties to hold the brake and ABS lines to the shock bodies. I checked for interference and got nothing.

Now my next question is, if I understand this correctly, the shock shaft, spring, and lower mount should turn as one with the pollow ball correct?

Couple things you can try that worked for me...

1. Don't overtighten the lock nut that holds the shock shaft (I was told by Ksport to lossen the locknut, turn the wheels fully to the left and right and then torque the locknut to 40 lbs) - this made it go away for awhile but the creaking would come back.

2. Actually drive around at full stiff for a couple of days and then soften the dampening to whatever you like (mine is set at 50% front and back)

Eventually, the creaking went away. I'm not sure what exactly what I did but it was a combination of the above. Good luck!

Thanks Lou. I just don't understand. They where so OEM quiet when I first installed them. I was actually expecting noise to occur then. I'lll try both suggestions then report later.

springs are probably binded to the top strut and it's spinning along the spring perch a bit.. white lithium grease on the spring perch and top hat will fix it for the mean time.. if it still makes noise, look at your control arms...

EDIT:

sorry, i used the wrong word, I was thinking of something else. You could be grinding either the top hat or the spring perch.. it should be all as one unit and not move in relation to all 3 parts (top hat, spring, and spring perch).

Keefe

springs are probably binded to the top strut and it's spinning along with the control arm a bit.. white lithium grease on the spring perch and top hat will fix it for the mean time.. if it still makes noise, look at your control arms...

Thx Keefe. I always though that the spring, strut body, strut shaft, locknut and pillow ball should turn as one unit when you turn the wheel left or right. Am I mistaken?

Now let me ask this question. If you have your preload incorrectly set up, will it also cause this problem? I ask because I only have about 4 full turns past snug or seated on the lock collars. Should I have 10-15 full turns on them?

Well after this weekend with all the rain in the tri-state area, I noticed the creaks getting more frequent. So I go and check the front coilovers and found the rubber bushings for the lower spring perches on both sides broken. The springs tore right through them. Now I have to find some replacements. In the mean time, I used some mox tape around the spring perch to help cushion them. I still have the noise. I give up.

I does get a little bouncy up front. I might turn them down some tomorrow. So Keefe, whats a good starting setup for preload.? Whats the range?

I did a couple of different amounts of preload, from 25 lbs, to 150 lbs.. for a daily drive with just me in the car, I dont go any higher than 100 lbs, but then again, I run on zeals.. you can try 50 lbs preload, or 100 lbs preload and see how that feels. As for the range, it's anywhere from 0 until the spring binds =P But I wouldnt go anything lower than 25 lbs and I wouldnt go any higher than 250 lbs for our cars.. but again, it's really relative to the car's weight.

just convert your spring rates from kg/mm to lbs/in (which should be a factor of 1:56... so a 10 kg/mm spring is around 560 lbs/in).. you'll also have to count the number of turns it takes to move the collar up 1".. so if it takes 12 full turns to move the collar up 1", you'll know how much you are prelaoding..

to get 50 lbs of preload on a 560 lbs/in spring with 10/turns=1", then you only need to make it close to one full turn on the collar. Simple stuff.. just mark off your coilovers using a permanent marker.. (as I will have some pics up soon of my recent corner balance, ride height adjustment, and spring preload how-to on the 2.5RS I just worked on this weekend.

Keefe

Well after this weekend with all the rain in the tri-state area, I noticed the creaks getting more frequent. So I go and check the front coilovers and found the rubber bushings for the lower spring perches on both sides broken. The springs tore right through them. Now I have to find some replacements. In the mean time, I used some mox tape around the spring perch to help cushion them. I still have the noise. I give up.

Zeals and Cusco Zero-2Rs dont even have rubber boots for the spring perches and spring cushion.. and I dont get noise.

Keefe

you dont, you need new and different springs that have a larger gap between the wounds.. the other thing is to actually get rubber spring sleeves which is similar to what Tein springs come with on their H-techs and S-techs.. basically it's a rubber jacket that goes over the spring coils that bind to prevent any metal sounds being generated.
Keefe

• 1 year later...

Archived