LegacyGT.com

Does Subaru have faith in the Legacy?

I did a quick scan of all the available Legacy sedans in stock in the 4 dealers closest to me: 2.5GT Ltd.- 7 cars 2.5GT- 3 cars 2.5i Ltd.- 3 cars 2.5i- 20 cars Now how do you interpret this? Either Subaru dealt out a greater proportion of 2.5i's to their dealers and thought that the more expensive models wouldn't sell OR the 2.5GT Ltds. are selling far better than the 2.5i's. But seeing as most of the Legacy owners here have ordered their cars, which seem to be the top of the line Legacies, it seems like Subaru didn't have too much faith in the Legacy and wanted to hedge their bets by handing out more of the cheaper cars. The ad campaign for the Legacy is so-so, it barely got any exposure in car mags, and the high numbers of 2.5i's just seem to reinforce Subaru's lack of confidence in the car, it's almost as if they're saying, "We're sorry about this. Really. It's an OK car." Shouldn't they be pumping out GT Ltds. like crazy based on the available cars at the dealers? Well I'm still hoping that it takes a few months to shift production to the GT Ltds. and by the time I go shopping, I can walk into a dealer and drive off in a Legacy.

The dealer in the area did a search for all legacy GT Limited Wagons with an Auto-Trans and black leather. There were only two in the entire state. There was only one OB XT LTD that met the same requirements. The Dealer said supply is tight.

I'm thinking that Subaru is holding back on "mass" production of the 05s until the 04s clear the breach. If you do a search, there appears to be a lot of 04s left in inventory. The new cars are so much better than the 3rd gen that Subaru WRX owners, who incidently outstripped demand projections of that car when it first debued, are lining up to buy the 4th gen Legacy. And then there's guys like myself who have been holding on to their 2nd gen Legacys "waiting' for the 05s to come out. I'm ordering mine so I get exactly what I want as are probably a ton of other Subaru loyalists. I presume that producing cars to fill customer orders will take precedence over normal production or at least cut into the typical production stream, thus slowing delivery of the new cars to the dealer lots. So encourage your friends to buy the left over 04s (to at least get them in the Subaru family :wink: ) thus creating a vacuum at the dealers for the 05s. Just a thought. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I just swung by my dealer tonite on the way home from my bowling league. 1 GT Ltd. Sedan 3 GT Sedans (all 3 were slushboxes) 10-12 Legacy Sedans (only 1 or 2 were sticks, the rest were slushboxes) Butt loads of Wagons and Outbacks, but even more butt loads of those Forresters. There must have been 25 of those on the lot!! Still cant get over a $30K Subaru.... Oh, and there was a WRX sedan there with a sticker of $28,xxx Whats up with that??? At least Subaru made it easy to spot GT Ltd's on the lot....Just look for the sunroof!

I don't think the Legacy GT is going ot be a BIG seller. We have to be honest here, Subaru is NOT a big selling manufacturer to begin with so I can't imagine people will flock to Subaru just for the Legacy GT. The Outback will surely do better. People flocked to Subaru in 2001 and 2002 because of the WRX...there was nothing else like it and therefore enthusiasts wanted it. The Legacy GT is more of a slightly grown up (25-35 year old) enthusiasts sedan. But younger people might not give it a serious look, and much older than 35, well they'll probably look more at BMW or the like for there sport sedans. I'm perfectly fine with not selling a ton. I felt the same about my GTI 1.8T It was a "grown up" sporty hatchback compared to the Civic Si. And I gladly paid more for the added luxury items and such. I got lucky, mine was made in Germany..therefore other than the window regs, I also had zero problems with my VW. You didn't see them everywhere and that was fine by me. Same will hold true for the LGT. As long as Subaru sells enough to make a decent profit and keep the car around. Actually, with enough encouraging by Legacy GT owners, maybe they'll even make a Legacy STI in limited numbers for 2007. That would be sweet and give even the Audi S4 a run for it's money.

[quote name='SuBart']Legacy Sti would destroy an S4[/quote] And we know this how? The Legacy STi is a make-believe car right now! For all we know, an STi version of the Legacy may mean just a rim job, seats, and an electric blue paint job. Its all speculation. Plus how do we know what Audi's coming out with next? Back on topic..... The whole problem with the LGT is it's price. The WRX saved Subaru. It was fast, compact, and had AWD.......all for $20K and change. That's why it sold well. It was a lot of bang for the buck, back when there wasn't any competition in its class. Now we have the LGT, with what a lot of people on here are calling a good "bang for the buck ratio". But it's now a $29K car. Also, there is TONS of competition from various other car makers. Just yesterday I told 3 different people that my GF is trying to sell her Volvo (seeing if anyone is looking for a good car for their HS of College kid). All 3 declined, but all 3 asked what She'll be getting to replace it. The look of disappointment when I said [b]Subaru[/b] was evident in all 3 responses. None even heard of the "new" Legacy. This is something that Subaru will NEVER loose, and what prevents them from becoming "mainstream".

Guest *Jedimaster*
Different parts of the country seem to get different amounts of the cars. I'm sure more 2.5i's are allocated- it's probably their bread and butter for this car. Like how you see a whole lot of Neon's at a dealer but far less SRT4's.

[quote name='TLS']Its all speculation. Plus how do we know what Audi's coming out with next? .[/quote] If VAG had anything they would stick it out before the M5 gets released, maybe they don't view the leggy as a threat, different market etc.

[quote name='wunderkind'][quote name='TLS'][quote name='SuBart']Legacy Sti would destroy an S4[/quote] And we know this how? The Legacy STi is a make-believe car right now! [/quote] Oh... if only you knew what Subaru has in plan for 2006. ;)[/quote] Yes, if only we knew. Put up or... anyway, don't tease if you don't want to share.

Seems here in New England, we have more GTs and GT Ltd.'s than 2.5i's. And the 2.5i Ltd. is virtually non-existant -- I only saw a couple in the whole northeast. Big problem seems to be advertising. I don't know if Subaru is holding back mass advertising until they have the production capability or what, but I've only seen one or two Legacy ads, and none on your mainstream (especially non-cable) networks. If they don't talk it up, nobody's going to know about it and it's not going to sell phenomenally well... TLS, you're right -- they don't have the mainstream appeal (yet?), which is another reason I'd think they'd want to come up w/ some kick-butt advertising and market the thing like mad. People who know Subaru will know about the new Legacy. People who don't know Subaru don't even think to look at it other than "well, it's a four-banger... forget that..."

Hmmmm '04 Audi A4 or '05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited ..... decisions decisions..... hmmmmmmm what will it be...... ah yes [img]http://www.legacygt.com/files/legacy0002_134.jpg[/img] Leg GT Ltd was the way I went.... Personally, when you look at it the Legacy GT Ltd is a great buy, with good features, excellent power, and a nice amount of luxury. I can see Subaru selling tons of them. - Mike

This has the distinct feel of passing notes in class. Big Teacher voice: "Now, Mr. Wunderkind, is that something you would care to share with the entire [forum]?" j/k, but if you have dirt, please do tell! I, for one, want a Legacy STi so bad I can taste it. I might even be able to afford it by the time it gets built and comes to market.

I'm not sure why Subaru is spending so much of their advertising $ in the San Diego market but I see their ads all the time, at least 1 or 2 a day, some on local channels, some on the cable channels, nearly all directed at the Legacy and all so far anchored by Lance Armstrong. You do see an occasional WRX ad and I think 1 OBX ad. My thought when I see these ads is that Subaru is spending gobs of money promoting the new Legacy. I just thought that this is all part of a nation-wide campaign - that they've finally got a world-class vehicle - and they want to drum it into our collective consciousness that it's available at your local dealer. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

1. people don't know what subaru is. the wrx represented a step in redefining the brand. the gt is the next step but nobody (besides us) knows about it. subaru = granola. 2. perhaps the number of 2.5i's has something to do with maintaining the cafe mileage numbers for the fleet as a whole. anyone know anything about this?

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='wunderkind']Psss.... meet me by the apple tree after school. LOL :D Rest assured that Subaru is well ahead of the planning stage for launching the STi Legacy. It's no longer a matter of if, but a matter of when.[/quote] What exactly puts you in the know? I call BS unless you post something. :o

Maybe the fact that he doesn't or can't could mean he has inside info... Or not. I guess we'll find out WHEN subaru announces something, or there is a publicity leak (please please please, Subaru). since it isn't a matter of if, according to wunderkind. I am gonna end up winding myself all up on internet rumors... Where are spyshots when you need them? :D

Archived