LegacyGT.com

Hondas really do hold their value amazingly well

So my wife wanted to trade-in her 2005 Honda Pilot EX for a new Civic to benefit from the much improved gas mileage. She did the Kelly Bluebook online thing and got information that its retail value was in the $25k to $27K range.

I told her to forget about it. She'd be lucky if the trade-in from a dealer was over $21K. Man, did I have to eat major crow.

She got a helluva deal on her Pilot last year. Sticker was like $31k but she paid a bit over $29k.

The local Honda dealership gave her a written trade-in offer of $25,750. I just about fell over. I knew that Honda's are well-known for holding resale value but I had no idea.

So she bought a new 2006 Honda Civic EX-NAVI sedan for sticker at $21,300. The dealer put a $2,500 markup on it. I told them no way. I knew that invoice was a good bit below MSRP.

So when all was said and done, after TTL she basically handed over the Pilot keys and got the brand new Civic sedan plus a check for a couple grand plus.

Don't get me wrong.....I completely love my Subie LGT. But damned!

It's because the sheep consumers will pay that much for used ones. These are the same people who'll fork out $10k for a 15 year old Accord (just off the top of my head; not a real example). It's the same reason people pay $5k for ancient Civics just to spend 10 times that on mods when they could have bought any of half a dozen already-turbo vehicles for that price.

Most ccar manufacturers can only dream of having this type of public perception! GM would pay and arm and a leg just to have it, Mercedes squandered it in the nineties, BUT Honda seems to be holding on to it and thats why they can sell their cars over invoice.

That's why we bought an Accord V6 as a company car. We had three employees offering to buy it after the service life before we even chose it.

That V6 is a heck of an engine and an Accord V6 is one of the great all time sleepers. All those 4 cyls make you just another sheep.....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

oh I knew that the dealer was making money with her buying it at sticker. But right now many dealers selling the new Civic are reaping MSRP plus a mark-up of one or two grand over sticker, especially for the NAVI equipped models. Not just the SI Coupe either. The Civic Hybrid is getting upwards of $3 grand mark-up.

I figured with her being a return Honda buyer, they probably got some kind of extra bonus from Honda. Even so, she is a fully satisfied customer paying MSRP.

Really makes u wonder how Subie hangs in there with the fantastic Legacy selling very frequently at thousands below MSRP. :iam:

The Legacy GT is one of the great all time sleepers. Everyone thinks its a Camry until you launch and dust them.

Too many hood scoops, spoilers, and flashy alloys but it's up there.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived