LegacyGT.com

Talk me out of a GTI

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just go test drive one and you will talk yourself out of it. After selling the M3 the new GTI looked really tempting other than the obvious FWD and the price was right. I went to test drive one and I HATED it, shifter was rubbery and too long, clutch uptake sucked and the power was not linear at all even with a small turbo 4 cylinder.

So I got a RX8 instead, kind of wish I got the LGT.

My question is where was it made? I know they have Jettas made in Mexico.

On a side note, you see that glass plant they have in Dresden?

Even if they have issues why do people still buy them? It's like knowingly buying American.

GTIs are made in Germany

Just go test drive one and you will talk yourself out of it. After selling the M3 the new GTI looked really tempting other than the obvious FWD and the price was right. I went to test drive one and I HATED it, shifter was rubbery and too long, clutch uptake sucked and the power was not linear at all even with a small turbo 4 cylinder.

So I got a RX8 instead, kind of wish I got the LGT.

Why do you regret the rx8? Im literally trading my legacy in for an 8 in two days.

edit: i should note that i have just a regular legacy. I was going to trade up to an 06 wrx BUT the insurance on the wrx is quite high. Insurance on the 8 is EXACTLY the same as my 2.5i legacy! Minus the extra cash simply becuase it has a way higher msrp, but its in the exact same catagory (5-22 while the wrx was 8-26) Keep in mine each point is about %10. So that wrx would have been %60 more per month!

I can't speak of the MK5 VWs, I had a VR6 MK4 Jetta. It was fun at first, but I like working on cars and had trouble justifing doing anything to the car: lower the suspension - it looks cool but suspension geometry is turned to poo, add a supercharger - wwwweeeeee!!! the one wheelie squealie. I was tired of the fact that I couldn't do much to the car to enhance performance.

I didn't have many troubles with the car, but the synchros sucked. 2-3 always seemed to grind under power. Some of the interior pieces also seemed to scratch and crumble at the slightest touch.

I traded it in for a used 05 LGT a month ago and have never been happier. It is a joke to compare the two cars. The subie is more power, more traction, more room, more class.

Buy the VW if you want a "fast"

Buy the Suby if you want to be fast.

I was a big fan of my 96 GTI VR6. That was then and this is now... every VW owner I know today can't wait to be rid of them!

In a related story... 3 college kids in a brand new GTI pulled up along side and smirked at me today. Light turned green and their jaws hit the floor... I still don't think they knew what they were up against. You made the right decision.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I was a big fan of my 96 GTI VR6. That was then and this is now... every VW owner I know today can't wait to be rid of them!

In a related story... 3 college kids in a brand new GTI pulled up along side and smirked at me today. Light turned green and their jaws hit the floor... I still don't think they knew what they were up against. You made the right decision.

:lol::iam:

While I was waiting for the paperwork for my Spec. B to be processed, I asked to drive a GTI (with DSG). Great engine and tranny (very quick shifts and virtually no turbo lag) but it is still a VW. I traded in a 1999 GTI VR6 that was rife with mechanical, quality, and build issues. If VW was so sure that their quality was so much improved they should offer much longer warranties. A friend of mine owned a Hyundai that had like a 10 year powertrain warranty. That car was always in the shop. The point of offering a long warranty period should be that the car was built right in the first place and should last, not so much that it will be fixed when it breaks. I want to drive the car I buy, not the loaner because it is being repaired. Stay away from the VW. Did I mention how expensive VW parts are?

The new GTI is an incredible drive and a great motor.

The major minus is unknown and likely less reliable than a Subaru. The other major negative are 2 doors are missing. However a four door is going be introduced within the year.

The gti looks slightly unfinished from the front. I think that it is the plastic on the front that they thought made it look like it was mesh. If you must go v-dub, get a split window bus, and if you need speed, get a split window bus and put a porsche motor in it. You will never tire of seeing the face of a kid in a civic with a shopping cart wing on it as he gets is doors blown off by a 60's bus.

I have struggled with allure of German cars and finally broke down and got an Audi TT after owning a WRX..........Don't do it.....The WRX started every morning. The Audi did not. I have returned to Subaru after leaving her for a siren song. I felt like a whore until my Legacy came into my life. Now, we are both faithful to each other and can live happily ever after.

Don't buy it, VW are a pain to work with and they have lots of problems. We had a VW Beetle TDI in the shope for three weeks after it got a timing belt changed then it wouldn't start and nobody new how to fix, until my boss finally took that VW to VW Dealer. With my experence everything about VW are weird and most of the things are made on VW don't make sense to me. I would never own one, put that's just me.

thats easy....i was so close to buying one..got price quotes and about to head to dealer to test drive and buy that day...

but i decided to see how much a legacy gt would cost me..the sticker was 31,009 and i got quoted 26,363..

easy decision....stopped at subaru dealership, test drove the LGT and purchased it...didnt even bother looking at the GTI that i thought i was about to get

and i also didnt want to deal with VW reliability

Archived