LegacyGT.com

Tire comparison

WalkerLGT

I recently purchased a set of Toyo Proxes 4 tires in size 225 45 r17 for my LGT. I previously had Pirelli PZeroNero in the same size. These are mounted on some 04 STI BBS rims.

My questions is for those that are running the Toyo's. What air pressure are you running in them? I am used to running around 37F and 35 - 36R on the pirelli's. But I have found that the Toyo's feel very squishy (think sidewall stiffness) even at 39F - 37R.

If anyone has driven on either of these tires, or better yet both can comment on if these tires are supposed to be as clsoe to one another as I have read, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am to the point now if I cannot find a balance on these Toyos I am going to return them for another set of Pirellis and eat whatever cost i get slapped with. I won't tolerate feeling like I am driving on hot marshmellows.

Thanks,

Walker

What is the speed rating for the Toyos and the rating for the Pirellis? I think the Pirellis are W rated, which would generally give the a very stiff sidewall to keep heat down at high speed. If the Toyos have a lower rating, that would explain alot of it.

If they are the same, just construction differences, I guess. I talked to a STi guy who hated his Goodyear F1s because he thought they were sloppy on turn-in and eliminated all steering feel, despite the mega ranting over how great the tires generally were.

If you got them from Tire Rack, they were very good when I insisted on a certain tire that ruined the steering on my RX-7, over the the objections of their salesman. The owner spoke with me personally and took them back stating the salesman shouldn't have let me out of the store with the stupid tires I chose. He even let me choose a cheaper replacement tire and he ate the loss on the 1st pair of tires he sold me. Great businessman. I always go there for tires now.

Thanks for the feedback KartRacerBoy.

The Toyos are 300 AA-A W in the 225 45 R17, where as the Pirelli are 400 A-A W indicating the Pirellis have a longer treadlife and less wet G capability.

Either way I could never get the damn Toyo's to respond the way I thought they should. The Big-O tires I bought them from said they could take them back in exchange for another tire that his sales team carries. They don't offer Pirelli...

So I am biting the bullit and going with a set of summer T1-R's and will run the stock rims with something in the winter. Not sure what yet though.

Now if the T1-Rs don't satisfy me there is no hope.

I had the Proxes4 for about a week, and couldn't stand them! I returned them under their 500 mile/45 day moneyback return policy. I instead picked up Pirelli's PZero Nero's:icon_bigg !

The Pirelli's have been good to me, and currently at around 28k miles on them, I have about 5/32" tread remaining. This is just over halfway, so it looks like I'll get about 40k out of them.

The Toyos are 300 AA-A W in the 225 45 R17, where as the Pirelli are 400 A-A W indicating the Pirellis have a longer treadlife and less wet G capability.

Comparing UTQG between manufacturers does not make sense. Each manufacturer supplies its own reference tire.

Read here

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48&currentpage=40

Krzys

Walker, I've seen other threads that state the TR-1s have nice stiff sidewalls, so if that's your complaint, the summer tires should satisfy you, I'm betting. And it's always nice to have fun summer tires and live with something else for 1/4 of the year. Go for a performance all season tire since I'm betting Kansas City rarely gets feet of snow, and I hate buying snow tires, performance or not, for a once a year or less snowfall. The all seasons will get you through almost anything but a monster snowfall. I've been using the stock RE92s as winter tires on the stock rims and I live in a lake effect snow belt here in South Bend, and they get me though 12" of snow as long as I'm careful and not trying the Swedish flick to get opposite lock through the corners (I use the handbrake technique instead :icon_bigg ).

I had the Proxes4 for about a week, and couldn't stand them! I returned them under their 500 mile/45 day moneyback return policy. I instead picked up Pirelli's PZero Nero's:icon_bigg !

The Pirelli's have been good to me, and currently at around 28k miles on them, I have about 5/32" tread remaining. This is just over halfway, so it looks like I'll get about 40k out of them.

I drove my Pirellis until they were slicks on the rear and nearly as bad on the front. Loved them every second they were on my STI and the LGT (same wheels). Im gonna estimate I got ~40k combined. I wish the Big-O that i got the Toyos from could get me Pzero Neros through the return policy but they can't.

Walker, I've seen other threads that state the TR-1s have nice stiff sidewalls, so if that's your complaint, the summer tires should satisfy you, I'm betting. And it's always nice to have fun summer tires and live with something else for 1/4 of the year. Go for a performance all season tire since I'm betting Kansas City rarely gets feet of snow, and I hate buying snow tires, performance or not, for a once a year or less snowfall. The all seasons will get you through almost anything but a monster snowfall. I've been using the stock RE92s as winter tires on the stock rims and I live in a lake effect snow belt here in South Bend, and they get me though 12" of snow as long as I'm careful and not trying the Swedish flick to get opposite lock through the corners (I use the handbrake technique instead :icon_bigg ).

I let a friend drive the stock wheels with the RE-92s for this winter when my Pirellis had tread. Now I think I will save the stockers for my winter set and use the T1-Rs for summer.

Thanks for all the feedback as always.

Walker

Just a quick update.

Got the T1-Rs installed and I have to say it is a huge difference!

Drove through inches of water on 35N in KC yesterday and never had an issue with hydroplaning. This tire is not cheap, but for a dedicated summer tire I highly recommend it.

Up next, Cobb sways and rear supports.

I had the Proxies 4 on my wifes Eclipse for a while. They squirmed alot, they did not grip as well as the Goodyear RSA's (OE's) in the dry, but were great in the rain.

Noisy, and useless in the sonw.

Archived