LegacyGT.com

rear sway bars.

rear part of the suspension which the sway bars bolt onto broke/snaped off. am i able to drive with out a rear sway bar on the car? i'm guessing that instead of bringing it to a dealer for the fix, i can bring it to a fab. shop and make me a set of sturdier ones instead of originals. only one side broke/snapped off.

Mine rear is off for that same reason. I purchased some flat stock from Lowe's

and just havent gotten around to fab that new ones. You'll be fine just watch pushin' it in the rain, the back want s to step out a little.

well, i took a drive and it seems fine with out the rear sway bars. i was actually thinking of making my own set too. how difficult you think it would be to make a new set. i dont have the tools to do this kind of job. lowes have this kind of metal? what kind of metal is this how would you do this? i have a grinder, mig welder but no metal bender. get back asap, thanks. i'm about to go to a fab shop for some estimates. this would give me some good experiences for me to do myself.

Depending on your mig, you could weld on 3/16" or 1/4" or top of the tabs that are there and probally wouldnt need the aftermarket brackets. The angled brackets are to take the stress off the thin, flimsy stockers which would be accomplished with the heavier material.

lol, thats is a good question, but do you really need to ask. "no, i was babying the car through the corner!" all i know is that i took a corner pretty hard and the rear wheels slipped a little. when i went home, i heard some noise from the rear going up my driveway.

got out and checked, there it is a snapped support for the sway bars. don't know if there is anyone else with this type of problem.

My back right bracket is bent back toawrds the rear of the car slightly. Been that way since my fender bender. I have the whiteline rear bars on the stiffest setting. Not sure what to do about it but oh well. Hasn't broken off yet been 6 months

i know it would be easy to bend/snap the sway bar bracket but i had the bar set on the softest setting and stock springs. i guess that i should have checked it when it was squeeking/creeking!!! what kind of material should i use as brackets? i think i bought steel its a little wider than stock and 2-3 times as thick. seems to rust easily too.

IF the steel is too thick, and your mig is not powerful enough, then you wont get a good bond. 3/16" looks to be the same thickness (havent measured it) as the stock tabs, so doubleing it should be good. I'm just going to spray paint mine when I'm done.

your plan sounds like what i should be doing and i might do just that doubling that. but how are you going to do this? are you going to take off the whole bracket off from the welds or are you just going to weld on top of what is left of the bracket?

I'll weld the broken piece back on, then over top with the new. The new peice would then be between the tabs and the bushing brackets with holes drilled out so the bolts will thread into the tacked on nuts.

Archived