LegacyGT.com

How do you take the seat apart?

BookemDano

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5'][quote name='BookemDano']I need to modify the seat. The seat back is very uncomfortable. It's either that or sell the car.[/quote] How about get new seats?? Cheaper than taking a hit on the car.[/quote] I wouldn't mind doing that, but most of the aftermarket seats are only appropriate for the track. I've never seen an aftermarket seat that isn't made for racing. Besides, how would you match the perforated leather?

Yep, it's that bad. A lot of people have complained about finding a comfortable seating position. Since I'm short, it's just very bad for me. If you want to figure out where the bad spot is, just place your hand a top of the seat just below the headrest. Then, run your fingers down the front of the seat back. Several inches below the top of the seat your fingers will go into a "valley". Just below that valley, the foam has a hard edge. That's the spot. For all of it's faults (including horrible reliability), my Audi A4 had great seats. I didn't have ONE issue with them in three years of ownership. With the LGT, I can't find a comfortable position. Every time I move the seat to a new position, something is uncomfortable. Regards, Dan.

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']I'm sure you could take it to a fabrication shop and they could pull the cover of the seat and shave the padding for you.[/quote] Yep, that's my plan. The problem is getting to one is a hassle. One of them I called is open from 9-5 five days a week. And it's 10 miles in the other direction from work. It's a real pain. That's why I want to pull the cover off myself to take a look at it. Regards, Dan.

If you DO take the seat apart, might i suggest putting in the new feature that is seen on luxury cars(mercedes, lexus, bimmer) and put in a "cooling" mechanism. Then posting the instructions w/photos. It works the same way as the "heated-seats", just opposite. I think it would kick-azz after a hot summer day crawling into the Obsidion black gt with black perfed leather interior.

Recaro makes some pretty nice stuff: [url]http://www.recaro-nao.com/produkte/inhalt_list.asp?segment=ergonomics#ergom[/url] That should be the page for the non racing stuff. Another thing to look at is swapping in seats from an Audi. It may require some custom brackets, but it would keep you in the car and you wouldn't have to worry about trashing the stock seat.

[quote name='Helfrick']Recaro makes some pretty nice stuff: [url]http://www.recaro-nao.com/produkte/inhalt_list.asp?segment=ergonomics#ergom[/url] That should be the page for the non racing stuff. Another thing to look at is swapping in seats from an Audi. It may require some custom brackets, but it would keep you in the car and you wouldn't have to worry about trashing the stock seat.[/quote] Thanks for the link. They look interesting. Unfortunately, the "Details" links don't work.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I wouldn't want to take a brand new car and buy new seats for it. You can get under the fabric on the seat from the rear of the seat. Get in the back and there should be a pair of zippers and a plastic clip running the horizontal length of the seatback- that's all I can remember right now being at work.

[quote name='jedimaster']I wouldn't want to take a brand new car and buy new seats for it. You can get under the fabric on the seat from the rear of the seat. Get in the back and there should be a pair of zippers and a plastic clip running the horizontal length of the seatback- that's all I can remember right now being at work.[/quote] I'll look again, but all I see is a plastic panel that doesn't want to come loose.

Bookem... Go to the dealer with this problem! Show them what you described. I know a Ford dealer in this area that will take the car to upholstery shops to "fix" customer complaints about seats just after purchase -- on the dealership's dime. I'd go from dealer to dealer to find one that will do that for you. If you can't find one, raise holy h3ll with SoA until they resolve it for you. You're not the first new car owner that's ever encountered this... plenty of mfgs/dealers deal with issues like this on a regular basis.

According to the service manager at my dealer...DON'T unbolt the seat yourself. It will screw up the airbag sensor calibration (don't ask me how, I don't know). I had a squeaky seat and there was a particular procedure they needed to use to remove my seat, or so they said. It would be worth verifying this with your dealer if you or an aftermarket shop plan on removing the seat to do some work. Tom

You should check to see if you feel comfortable in WRX seats, STi seats, Forester seats, or even GT non-Ltd. seats. I bet any of those could be straight swapped for your your GT Ltd. seats, with maybe the loss of functionality of the auto adustment and/or seat heaters.

Archived